Join Early Retirement Today

Toy Haulers vs. other RV's
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Toy Haulers vs. other RV's

All this talk about RV's has us investigating RV options. We are planning on funding this while still working between now and 2020. The big ticket list includes two motorcycles, residence upgrades, and a RV. The house and upgrades will be completely paid off in 6-8 years. (nlt 2019) The goal is to bring along the motorcycles, kayaks, and mountain bikes with us on our cross country festival tours. So far, the most appropriate options seem to be Toy Haulers. Do any board members have experience with these? Advice is welcome, we are in the research stage only.

The planl is to be mortage-free with a well-equipped house (no pending repairs/upgrades/big maintenance, etc. for first 10 years ) with all big dollar toys owned free and clear by the magic retirement date Looks like we can find a nice (used) toy hauler for under $50K, and two motorcycles (used, HD) for under $75,000 (total for two), and a diesel truck to tow it all for under $40K. (This will replace SO's "truck/SUV")

Your thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in my late 20s I could push a 250 lb dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer if I built up a little momentum before hitting the ramp. Can't imagine pushing a HD up a ramp at my age even with two other people. What's one of those weigh, somewhere between 550 and 750 lbs?

If I found a hauler with enough room for 2 big bikes I'd ask the manufacturer (not a salesperson) what the weight distribution of the trailer was with #### lbs of bikes back there.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
When I was in my late 20s I could push a 250 lb dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer if I built up a little momentum before hitting the ramp. Can't imagine pushing a HD up a ramp at my age even with two other people.
All the folks I've seen using toy haulers drive their bikes on board...

Fireup, I've done lot's of RVing but never owned a Toy Hauler. I am familiar with a couple of pretty good RV discussion boards where you can probably learn a lot from others who own them:

ToyHaulers Discussion - iRV2 Forums
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"Sheee-it, Ah kin beat that. Hee-yer, Bubba, gimme that there bike, hol' ma beer, an' watch this'n!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe the difference because is when I rode almost every bike was a 2 stroke with a peaky power band.

Tags
mototcycle, rvs, toys, travel