Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual travel budget?
Less than $5,000 31 34.44%
$5,000 to $10,000 41 45.56%
$10,000 to $20,000 14 15.56%
Greater than $20,000 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Travel Budget
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
So are you saying that you can eat out while traveling for less than you eat at home? I would think that eating out while traveling would be MORE expensive than eating at home. Unless you cook most of your meals while traveling you will surely spend more eating out than at home. I would like to know how others save on this expense item while on the road.
No, that was not my point. I was just saying that by travelling, other home base expenses are not used. I was using food as an example. But to reply, I suspect I could "average" $8 a day for meals based on a perpetual traveler's lifestyle versus a time limited vacation. Where ever you go, you can buy delicious breads, cheeses, cold cuts, tuna, olives, veggies and fruits. I might also do some basic cooking where ever I was staying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 AM   #22

Regarding budgeting, when you are travelling you won't be putting gas in your car at home, spending any money on food or entertainment at home, spending less on gas and electric, etc. So you can take your monthly budgets for these items and implicitly add them to the amount you have specifically budgeted for travel.

Kramer

Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

..I'm also calculating how much I could save just by not having to heat my house (turn thermostat way down or maybe even off) while I'm gone. Eventually (if not already) for some of us living in the arctic tundra (WI), this will become a big factor. Or if I sold out completely, I could save $200 a month just on property taxes, which would just about pay the rent for a beach bungalow in Thailand or a home share situation in Buenos Aires..

But there are quality of life issues to be considered, which may or may not be made up for by the thrill of living/traveling in a foreign culture etc. I mean, for whatever reason, I'm still sitting here, bored but comfortable.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #24

I will start out my PT (perpetual traveller) adventure alone. Although, I am comfortable being alone, I do have my familiar surroundings, casual interactions with neighbors and of course getting together with friends. I don't know how I will feel when I am in a foreign (overseas) place for several month. I will, of course attempt to connect with the locals.

Regardless, it will be an exciting and interesting new episode in my life.

MJ
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #25

MJ,
I wish you the best in your travels. Being alone can be a bummer but it also has its own rewards of not having to consider the wishes and desires of someone else so you can eat bread and cheese every meal if you wish and stretch out your travel dollars. Having someone else on the trip does increase expenses but also increases the pleasure of the trip. I traveled a lot in a previous job and much of it was my myself. I was far more efficient and frugal being alone but I felt weird discussing what I had seen with myself.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

MJ, have you ever read the book "Tales of a Female Nomad" by Rita Golden Gelman? I read it a while back and it made me really want to get out there and go. (she travels alone, so does the guy who wrote Vagabonding)

My budgeted travel money is kind of high, I suspect this could be lower with longer term travel. I just always like to know that if I "need" a night or two of air conditioning or really want to go to spend more on an activity or meal that I don't have to worry about it.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Having someone else on the trip does increase expenses
SteveR,
can you give some examples?
When I travel with my wife it costs less per person than if I was doing it alone.
You can share hotel room, meals, taxi rides etc.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor

When I travel with my wife it costs less per person than if I was doing it alone.

Hey, when I travel with my wife it costs a "lot" more, at least if there are any shops around. She says shes saving money, but it doesn't look like that to me. Of course, traveling her is "worth it".
Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #29

Quote:
SteveR,
can you give some examples?
You can share hotel room, meals, taxi rides etc.
Airfare is twice as much with two people.
Two people sharing a room requires a "doubles" rate vs one person as a "single".
Two people going to an attraction costs twice as much as one.
Food expenses are higher than with one.
Clothes cleaning costs are higher with two unless you can convince the little lady to bang them on a rock next to a stream.
Trinket costs are much higher (at least with my wife) if I were alone...cost is zero.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #30

I think our disagreement comes from the different cost perception.
I'm comparing cost per person - you are comparing the total cost of the group.
Your cost would be higher of course if you paid for the whole group
But you used "someone else" as the description of your traveling companion, so I didn't think you need to pay for "someone else".

As to your examples:

Quote:
Not necessary - ever heard about companion fares?
Quote:
Two people sharing a room requires a "doubles" rate vs one person as a "single".
Still cheaper per person in most places.

As far as trinkets it helps that DW is beyond the trinket phase in her life - although we seem to amass large amounts of toddlers toys lately
Old 09-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #31

Quote:
I think our disagreement comes from the different cost perception.
I'm comparing cost per person - you are comparing the total cost of the group.
Your cost would be higher of course if you paid for the whole group
But you used "someone else" as the description of your traveling companion, so I didn't think you need to pay for "someone else".

As to your examples:
Not necessary - ever heard about companion fares?Still cheaper per person in most places.

As far as trinkets it helps that DW is beyond the trinket phase in her life - although we seem to amass large amounts of toddlers toys lately
I was not aware we were disagreeing.
It looks to me like an open discussion of opinions.

You are looking at a per person cost with various exceptions to the general costs associated with two or more people traveling together. I am talking about the total cost of travel that I would need to reserve as a budget item for both my wife and myself to travel together. My budget is on the conservative side since I can't always plan on special rates or companion fares. I will burn through my 500,000 Frequent Flier miles before I have to buy a real ticket once we retire so that will be my major travel cost avoidance for a while.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #32

I had a revelation about vacation trips. This is what I discovered, for me at least:

It's all about the food.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I had a revelation about vacation trips.* This is what I discovered, for me at least:

It's all about the food.
Interesting! For me, it's never about the food. OTOH, DW says I am a
billy goat (referring to my eating habits)

JG
Old 09-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two people going to an attraction costs twice as much as one.
Food expenses are higher than with one.*
Clothes cleaning costs are higher with two unless you can convince the little lady to bang them on a rock next to a stream.
Trinket costs are much higher (at least with my wife) if I were alone...cost is zero.
None of this could possibly cost more than my divorce would should I try to travel alone for months at a time.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Frequent flyer miles??
Well I use my points stash from when I was a working stiff when I have to but have actually been doing most of my flying on bump tickets for the last few years....who knew you could keep getting bumped over and over again if you know when to book your next bump ticket for...
Old 09-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #36

Please tell us more about exploiting bumping.

When bumping first started, the airlines would give you cash to voluntarily get off a flight. I made $250 on one trip when I was a starving grad student (1977). In today's dollars that's $810!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Please tell us more about exploiting bumping.
Most airlines give you money vouchers ("Delta Dollars").
The amount depends on much overbooked the flight is and how important (First Class/Business Class/Elite status) people are booked for the flight but don't have seats.
I've been given several $400 and few $250. They are good for a year from the date of issue.
If you are into frequent flying "flyer talk" forums are excellent resource ( http://www.flyertalk.com/ )
Old 10-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #38

...Yrs to go said:
Quote:
Okay.* Clearly I need travel saving tips.* $50 / day seems really lean for traveling in any 1st world country.* I'm a bit too old and too comfortable for the backpacking / hostel thing.
I didn't vote on the poll either, since we are PT's -- not sure how it would fit our situation, since we are, by definition always traveling. I think that is part of the difference between a "vacation" and a "lifestyle." When on vacation one has to fit everything into a defined time period. We don't put that kind of pressure on ourselves.* * With our lifestyle of PT, we see all these places and eat in these countries every day.

With the $50 day idea in 1st world countries - you see we do that for months at a time, then balance it out with a country that doesn't impact our dollar as much. So we keep an average. It's not just "for these 2 weeks."*

That being said, we try to have one meal in our room which saves considerably on food cost. However, you can find hotels which include breakfast or buffets in the cost of your stay. Then you are not paying extra for that meal.

Especially in 1st world countries, we eat our main meal at lunch. Restaurants often offer lunch specials, set price lunches or buffets at a great price in order to increase their business.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
That being said, we try to have one meal in our room which saves considerably on food cost. However, you can find hotels which include breakfast or buffets in the cost of your stay. Then you are not paying extra for that meal.
Florence & Venice.* Two weeks.* 10K.* Breakfast included.* *

Old 10-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Florence & Venice. Two weeks. 10K. Breakfast included.
That's cheap.