Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual travel budget?
Less than $5,000 31 34.44%
$5,000 to $10,000 41 45.56%
$10,000 to $20,000 14 15.56%
Greater than $20,000 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Travel Budget
Old 10-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Florence & Venice.* Two weeks.* 10K.* Breakfast included.* * *
That has to be SOME breakfast!*

While in Kata Beach, we paid less than $50 USD a night in a 5 star hotel, breakfast buffet included. We were in the honeymoon suite (yup, our marriage is still like a honeymoon! 8)) with a 35-40 foot picture window with ocean view. The staff offered us free fruit drinks, and 1/2 pineapples filled with fruit. Since we had a refrigerator, we would also buy some things from town, and keep it for later.* This, however, is on the "high end" of our spending for lodging.

In Australia, we rented an apartment instead of staying in a hotel, ($25-30 USD night?) and bought local lamb, cheeses, wine, and beautiful vegetables. We had a view of the Sydney Harbor from the bedroom windows, the kitchen windows, and the living room windows.

Gosh, guys $10 K for 2 weeks! You need to go to the Kaderli's School for Travel Maintenance!*

With a little practice...

Akaisha
Author, THE ADVENTURER'S GUIDE TO EARLY RETIREMENT

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
That's cheap.*
Figured that'd get a rise out of some folks. The trip was for our 10th anniversary, we flew first class and stayed in nice (but not 5-star) places. Had a great time and don't regret a dime spent.

We didn't need to spend as much as we did but I'll throw down the guantlet and say that Venice & Florence can't be done on $50 / day unless you sit in your hostel and eat the Ramen noodles you brought with you - not my idea of a good time.

Here's your Venice budget:

Hostel - USD 34 / night
Admission to Peggy Guggenheim museum - USD 24 (20 Euro)
$50 budget - busted!

Old 10-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Please tell us more about exploiting bumping.
My best bumping day was in 2001 from Chicago to Colorado Springs the day the new class of cadets at USAFA had to report, 3 tickets, twice for a total of $4350.*

First flight was oversold by 25 and they offered $600 per ticket. We volunteered but I told them I wanted $800 per seat.* Guy blew a gasket.* I told him that he had to do something the cadets on govt tickets had to get to the Springs. Folks in line behind me overheard and he had to give them all $800.*

Later in the day we decided we would just stay the night so we volunteered again.* Didn't need our seats but gave us $50 per ticket as a thank you.* Got on the plane called us off and gave us $600 more per ticket.*

Then I asked if they would put us up at the hotel at the airport since my luggage was gone and the car seats for the kids were checked baggage.* They did and when we got there no more standard rooms so we got a suite.* Of course we also had lunch, dinner, etc.

Shortly after this United filed for Chapter 11.* Hope it wasn't because of me

JDW
Old 10-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
The trip was for our 10th anniversary
At this rate you won't be able to afford your 25th anniversary...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll throw down the guantlet and say that Venice & Florence can't be done on $50 / day unless you sit in your hostel and eat the Ramen noodles you brought with you - not my idea of a good time.
YtG, I don't believe that you're reading the thread carefully. So let's try it one more time. The $50 is an daily average for a year. If you averaged $110 a day in Europe for 3 month and $30 a day in SE Asia for 9 months, your daily average would be approx. $50.38.

Again, I emphasize that this is not limited vacationing (1 to 3 weeks) but perpetual travelling.

MJ (a future perpetual traveller)
Old 10-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
At this rate you won't be able to afford your 25th anniversary...

Got that covered - don't worry about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
YtG, I don't believe that you're reading the thread carefully. So let's try it one more time. The $50 is an daily average for a year. If you averaged $110 a day in Europe for 3 month and $30 a day in SE Asia for 9 months, your daily average would be approx. $50.38.

Again, I emphasize that this is not limited vacationing (1 to 3 weeks) but perpetual travelling.

MJ (a future perpetual traveller)

Not only did I read it, but I understood it too.

I'm not a big fan of traveling in 3rd world countries (for a lot of reasons) so the $30 / day portion of the trip probably isn't going to suit me. Maybe after I've seen everything else there is to see I'll change my mind but I still have a lot of ground to cover before I get to that point.

I'm also not going to be staying in hostels or camp grounds, I want my own room and shower. In the countryside you can get B&B's sub $100 a night or rent out an apartment cheaply but in the cities that gets a bit tougher.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #47

Obviously it's all about the budget.
If you had for example, $9k to spend annually, you can average,
$50 a day for 180 days
$100 a day for 90 days
$200 a day for 45 days
$643 a day for 14 days

Your choice. Any way, happy travelling

MJ
Old 10-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

What about transportation? You can rent an apartment in Tuscany relatively cheaply, but renting a car is still pretty expensive. You can take a train, but then what do you do once you get to the train station? Walk? Hitchhike?

I'm having a hard time imagining getting by in Europe on even the $110 / day mentioned earlier.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ

MJ (a future perpetual traveller)*
I tend to somewhat agree although with alot of restrictions. Airfares must be keep to a minimun. Travel from the US to Asia must be at least $800 probably more. So you need to stay in Asia for quite a while. If after a couple of months you fly to Europe of Africa or*the Phillipines it will cost. Averaging in airfares for a perputual traveler can reduce that $50 to $43 if $2500 a year is spend on air.

What does someone traveling alone do with his/her time? Excluding lodging, food, transportation there will be other costs.

Entertainment costs money. Traveling means doing things, I am sure there are many low cost things to do but many cost money too. Especially for someone traveling alone.
What about the premiums on your health insurance?

I have to think $50 a day would be a challenge for me.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm having a hard time imagining getting by in Europe on even the $110 / day mentioned earlier.
Me too, but then I would mostly travel to see and do things. Some travel more to hang out in a cheap place. Hippies used to live in Goa on $3/day.

What I found in the 3rd world is that I got tired of getting weird diseases. I managed to get some that never really went away, in spite of some rather unpleasant work-ups.

On the topic of budgets in general, I find many of the budgets talked about here are pretty well beyond my comprehension. I don't live fancy at all, but I gaze in awe at some of the low cost lifestyles mentioned on this board.

Ha
Old 10-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Me too, but then I would mostly travel to see and do things. Some travel more to hang out in a cheap place. Hippies used to live in Goa on $3/day.

And that $3 a day is now $16.60 with inflation.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I would agree that travelling in the big cities in Europe costs more than $50/day, but it doesn't have to be that outrageous.

Frommer's Budget Traveler Magazine has great advice for this sort of travel. For my tastes, the magazine is a little too upscale when it comes to Asia and other inexpensive places, but their advice for Europe is spot on for the comfort level I'm seeking. The husband and I used their Florence and Venice "Little Wonder Hotels" issue when we travelled to those two cities and had no problem finding charming, comfortable rooms w/bath and breakfast for around $80 in the middle of summer with no reservations. They also had great, inexpensive restaurant recommendations.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
And that $3 a day is now $16.60 with inflation.
Would that be calculated by the American CPI, the Goa CPI, or someone's imaginary hedonics-adjusted CPI?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #54

Quote:
You can take a train, but then what do you do once you get to the train station? Walk? Hitchhike?
How bout bicycling? You take the bicycle on the train.
That's how I normally get around now and I own a car.
I just came back from my father. I did a fast 41 mile RT ride.

MJ
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Wow........were up to 4% in the $20,000 and over bracket. Those are probably your multi-millionaires. I would spend it too if I were one.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
How bout bicycling? You take the bicycle on the train.
That's how I normally get around now and I own a car.
I just came back from my father. I did a fast 41 mile RT ride.

MJ
How do you get your bicycle to your vacation spot? Do you buy one when you get there? Probably not that expensive but never looked in to it.

Maybe once I retire I can get in the phsyical shape necessary to travel this way (see thread on health benefits of ER).
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I posted in the over 20k bracket, but we do spend less some years if we can't get away as often for whatever reason.

This year we are at around 15k and still have one long weekend and the Christmas trip to do.

Under our belts so far in '05 are trips to the UK, Florence (Italy) and Sydney (Australia).

2004 only took us to France and the Philippines as the baby was born early in the year and we didn't want to travel when she was still very young. i.e. under 6 months

Life's too short to only see these places on the travel shows.

Cheers, Honkie

Honkie.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
I posted in the over 20k bracket, but we do spend less some years if we can't get away as often for whatever reason.
Honkie, how long does $20k last you (roughly). Some posters in the thread where working a $50/day budget (which I'll never be able to do). I figure I could probably do some good long trips on $20K, though.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
You are still working?

ha
Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

YtG / HaHa

Yes both the wife and I work. This year we have been away for a total of 4 weeks, 2 in UK, 1 in Florence and 1 in Sydney, plus 3 weekends of 2 or 3 days, so you could say that the 15k so far has lasted about 35 days. However, the flights have been a large proportion of the cost and we often travel with a third adult plus our child. When we travel with the third adult, we need two rooms rather than just one.

H