Join Early Retirement Today

trip report
Old 10-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

trip report

Many of posters have talked about visiting Thailand, Europe and other exciting places. Well we just took a trip touring part of the MidWest! We spent most of our time in Missouri, avoiding Minnesota cold. My thoughts on Missouri:

* The Glore Psychiatric Museum in UncleMick's new hometown of St. Joe is one of the best museums I have ever seen. Interesting to see how mental illness was treated through the years. Enemas. Blasts of cold water. Cages. "Hamster" wheels. Drilling into the skull. Etc.

* Lake of the Ozarks is not located in any kind of mountains nor is it really a lake, but is a reservoir. But the state park is nice, with lots of trails through oak and hickory forests, and plenty of birds to watch. Missouri was allowing people who were homeless from Katrina to stay for free.

* The state parks in October were nearly empty during the week. Inexpensive and most had well developed trail systems. Dog friendly. Met a couple of campers who were staying in a state park for a month with their 11 dogs and 4 cats. They sold their home and hadn't closed on the purchase of their new house.

* The fall color is not near as intense as it is in the north, where there are many more maples.

* Southern Missouri's dirt is unpleasant, a mixture of dust and sharp rocks.

* We met a woman whose sister in law's step sister is Eminem's mother. I quote "that family has troubles."

* Who has all the money? Lots of very expensive boats on the various lakes/reservoirs.

* Saw more goats than I have seen in my entire life.

* Internet access via cell phone was spotty. Come on Verizon! But wi fi is continuing to explode and we found lots of free access points. Iowa has wi fi for free in its rest areas. Malls have it. Etc.

* What are those dirty green tennis ball things growing on trees?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: trip report
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

10 dogs and 4 cats! Was this in a tent? Or a REALLY crowded motorhome?

I'll guess that the green balls were "osage oranges".

Somebody else can make comments about goats...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You didn't go to Branson?? *

Why so many goats??
I don't know, maybe it gets real lonely there*
Old 10-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
What are those dirty green tennis ball things growing on trees?
I don't know either but the Asians a few doors down are peeling the green cover off and drying 'em outside. It has like a big brown pit. I don't know if it is squirrel bait or if it is going in some sort of stew No joke either. Can't figure it out.

Lake of the Ozarks --- I wasn't impressed
Old 10-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Martha, it would be a lot easier to ID the big, green balls if you could rustle up a picture.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No Branson. Sorry, not my kind of music.

We were very bad about taking pictures on this trip, so none of the odd tennis ball "fruit." Wildcat describes what I saw. Big brown pit or nut in the middle of a dirty tennis ball cover. They are fun to kick.

The 11 dogs and 4 cats were in a 30 foot motorhome. The owners had show dogs which looked like whippets. The owners were going stir crazy and had a hard time controlling the barking. I offered to help walk dogs but they didn't take me up on it.

Saw a number of people that looked as if they were ERs. One couple had just sold their home in LaCrosse Wisconsin and were now traveling in a motorhome full time. They were very green and we talked to them quite a bit about boondocking or dry camping and about phone service. They looked to be in their early 50s. Of course, it would have been impolite to ask if they were FI as well as ER.

Our dog Pete misbehaving at Lake of the Ozarks:

Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The "Osage Orange", the fruit of the Bois D'Arc tree, also known as "hedge apples":

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bois d arc.jpg (4.4 KB, 145 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
The "Osage Orange", the fruit of the Bois D'Arc tree, also known as "hedge apples":

From poking around on the Internet, it looks like they may be called hedgeballs, hedgeapples, monkey balls, osage orange, mock oranges, horse apples and green brain. Looks like mystery solved.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #9

QUOTE: No Branson.* Sorry, not my kind of music.* >>

I'm guessing you don't like country which is what many folks say when they hear the word "Branson"
But Martha----did you know you can take in Vegas quality shows (some actually rotate to Vegas) such as David Copperfield, Chinese Acrobats, Broadway Shows,
Cirque, Andy Williams/ Pet Clark and------TaDa* Dick Clark is building a large complex which will feature all your 50/60/70's groups starting with Paul Revere, Tony Orlando.* Have I hit on anything you like so far
Old 10-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #10

The top jazz guy from Eureka just moved to Branson to resume his job arranging and playing piano with Les Brown and his Band of Renown.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
QUOTE: No Branson. Sorry, not my kind of music. >>

I'm guessing you don't like country which is what many folks say when they hear the word "Branson"
But Martha----did you know you can take in Vegas quality shows (some actually rotate to Vegas) such as David Copperfield, Chinese Acrobats, Broadway Shows,
Cirque, Andy Williams/ Pet Clark and------TaDa Dick Clark is building a large complex which will feature all your 50/60/70's groups starting with Paul Revere, Tony Orlando. Have I hit on anything you like so far
Ooh Noo! Not Tony Orlando!

But you are right, I hear Branson and I assume He Haw.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

And you missed the chance to add a new "fruit on pet's head photo"... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The top jazz guy from Eureka just moved to Branson to resume his job arranging and playing piano with Les Brown and his Band of Renown.
Another fine endorsement for Branson.
Yah gotta be really lucky to actually see Les, but I hear his son is a great talent as well.
Looking forward to hearing them. *Branson could use a good jazz show also. How bout it *Al? *8)
Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
No Branson.* Sorry, not my kind of music.*

We were very bad about taking pictures on this trip, so none of the odd tennis ball "fruit."* Wildcat describes what I saw.* Big brown pit or nut in the middle of a dirty tennis ball cover.* They are fun to kick.

The 11 dogs and 4 cats were in a 30 foot motorhome.* The owners had show dogs which looked like whippets.* The owners were going stir crazy and* had a hard time controlling the barking.* I offered to help walk dogs but they didn't take me up on it.

Saw a number of people that looked as if they were ERs.* One couple had just sold their home in LaCrosse Wisconsin and were now traveling in a motorhome full time.* They were very green and we talked to them quite a bit about boondocking or dry camping and about phone service.* They looked to be in their early 50s.* Of course, it would have been impolite to ask if they were FI as well as ER.*

So, is Pete friendly, or very owner loyal and hates every visitor he sees, like most all of the other Dachshounds (sp?) that I've seen?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #15

So Martha or anyone else, can someone cook these things or is there some reason for keeping the pits?

That's the mystery around the apt complex.

Your pup looks like an ankle biter.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Judy, the other dachshund, the one who wears food on her head, is very promiscuous with her affections. She loves everyone and frequently jumps in strangers cars and tries to sleep with guests in our home.

Pete is not so friendly, mostly because he is scared of everything. Has to take antianxiety drugs.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No Branson.* Sorry, not my kind of music.*

We were very bad about taking pictures on this trip, so none of the odd tennis ball "fruit."* Wildcat describes what I saw.* Big brown pit or nut in the middle of a dirty tennis ball cover.* They are fun to kick.

The 11 dogs and 4 cats were in a 30 foot motorhome.* The owners had show dogs which looked like whippets.* The owners were going stir crazy and* had a hard time controlling the barking.* I offered to help walk dogs but they didn't take me up on it.

Saw a number of people that looked as if they were ERs.* One couple had just sold their home in LaCrosse Wisconsin and were now traveling in a motorhome full time.* They were very green and we talked to them quite a bit about boondocking or dry camping and about phone service.* They looked to be in their early 50s.* Of course, it would have been impolite to ask if they were FI as well as ER.*

Does your dog get so excited that he pees? A buddy of mine has one and goes ape shat everytime someone comes around. They make me sneeze too. My long haired golden retriever doesn't. Go figure. *
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
So Martha or anyone else, can someone cook these things or is there some reason for keeping the pits?

That's the mystery around the apt complex.
Because I was curious, I started reading up on those Osage Oranges. They are not considered edible because the pits are so bitter. But acorns are bitter and some people eat acorns in one form or another.

So who knows.

Apparently at some point, this fruit developed the reputation for keeping spiders and other insects out of people's basements. Supposedly, all you need to do is place them outside your home around the foundation or spread them around the basement for them to effectively repel all types of pests. However, one university web site says there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pete is not so friendly, mostly because he is scared of everything.* Has to take antianxiety drugs.* *
Sounds like Mom's Cardigan Corgi (minus the drugs). *Very wary, sometimes fearful, and not too eager to see people she doesn't know. *You might laugh at Mom's dog and call her an ankle-biter, but Cardigan's have a Dachs background and have the teeth to match. *"ankle-biter" is not a good description of a 40# dog with large, razor sharp teeth and a tendency to snap when she is afraid. *That's the same reason I tend to give dachshunds a wide berth unless I know they are friendly.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Does your dog get so excited that he pees? A buddy of mine has one and goes ape shat everytime someone comes around. They make me sneeze too. My long haired golden retriever doesn't. Go figure.

Pete used to do that. Now he is an advertisement for Clomacalm--doggie version of Prozac. Brewer, you might suggest drugs for the Corgi. Pete is almost as big as a Corgi, weighing 23 pounds and not an ounce overweight.

The allergies aren't too bad around the weiner dogs, but I have to keep them and the house clean. Because of allergies, we used to have poodles:

[img width=545 height=750]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/martham/scan2.jpg[/img]

The top one was Spike, a 75 pound male standard poodle. Smartest dog I have ever had. The bottom one was Paavo Nurmi. Named after the runner from Finland. Also a male standard poodle. We are standing in the bitter cold on Lake Superior.