Join Early Retirement Today

Trip Report: Vancouver, BC
Old 08-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trip Report: Vancouver, BC

We just got back from a few days in Vancouver.* * *I've passed through Vancouver a few times -- on the way to Whistler, to board a cruise ship, etc.* *But I've never made Vancouver a destination.* *I like it!

We took an Amtrak train from Seattle.* *A bargain at $28, but we splurged and went business class for about $40.* *That basically lets you cut in front of the line and gives you a bit more leg room.* *And the train lets you avoid those sometimes nasty lines to cross the border.

Vancouver was great -- metropolitan, clean, great public transportation, and surrounded by natural beauty.* *We stayed near Stanley Park, and spent a couple hours each day just walking around.* * Stanley Park was designed by the same architect who designed NY's Central Park, but I think he did a much better job in Vancouver.*

We took the Sky Train to China Town for some Dim Sum, and then took the kid to the Science World nearby.* *BTW, we were approached by a friendly ticket agent when we were looking confusedly at the ticket machines for the Sky Train.* *I have to say that I've never come across a more helpful and friendly public servant *anywhere*.

On our last day, we spent a few hours at the Granville Island public market, which really puts Seattle's Pike Place market to shame.

If you haven't been to Vancouver, go there.* *It's one of the few places I'd seriously consider moving to if I weren't so enamored with our current digs.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Trip Report: Vancouver, BC
Old 08-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great place, been there a number of times. Guess you missed the Gastown area near the waterfront?

But it is expensive to buy housing there. Maybe not as bad as San Fran or So Cal, but getting there.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #3

Yep, Vancouver reminds me a lot of San Francisco. Both are small island cities, with lots of asian influence, progressive culture, and West Coast climate.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #4

I thought I saw you go by on the Amtrak. We were the couple sitting on the patio of the Mexican restaurant in B'ham, drinking margaritas.

Agreed - Vancouver is fun - but like you we're always just passing through on the way to Wistler... need to go spend some time there - thanks for the reminder.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #5

I love Vancouver, I also like Victoria & kayaking around the US & Canadian islands. There is one downside to Vancouver tho, it can rain-a lot, like 30 days straight.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vancouver has a great Chinatown.

Ha
Old 08-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #7

I too love Vancouver. It's about an eight hour drive from Portland. Grandville Island was awesome. Chinatown at dusk is a bit creepy. Like any big city, you have to be careful where you go after dark.

I must say, the city has the biggest drug problem I have ever seen.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - late 60's

Young, single, - Vancouver was great - especially catch and release - with the wildlife.

Nowaday's - in my 60's - I might even notice the scenery.

heh heh heh heh - time marches on.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Yep, Vancouver reminds me a lot of San Francisco.* Both are small island cities...

Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #10

I can understand that error. That hulking mountain in South San Francisco (that you drive around if you take a bus from the airport into the city) makes SF seem like an island--not to mention those "houses made of ticky-tacky" in Daly City. (Hmm, I wonder if Herb Caen would change his moniker for SF, "Bagdad by the Bay," in light of recent developmetns-)
Old 08-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #11

FWIW, neither SF nor Vancouver BC are island cities, but there is a Vancouver Island, which is also part of BC, so I guess that can be confusing.* *There's also a Vancouver WA near the Oregon border just to confuse things a bit more.* * All three Vancouvers are named after a guy who explored the Pacific Northwest in the 18th century.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
FWIW, neither SF nor Vancouver BC are island cities, but there is a Vancouver Island, which is also part of BC, so I guess that can be confusing....
Thanks for clarifying that wab. The ocean, all the water and the bridges can be confusing to first-time visitors. Because Vancouver is temperate compared to the rest of Canada, we tend to get more than our fare share of homeless people. They generally congregate in the area east of Gastown known as East Hastings. But if you want your windshield cleaned, you will find lots of "squeegie kids" around the stop lights. They are respectful though so not a problem.

There was a rumour that the next province east has a program for the homeless that was a free one-way bus ticket to Vancouver...

Keith (from sunny West Vancouver)
Old 08-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #13

I stand corrected... Both San Francisco and Vancouver are ends of Peninsulas. They feel like islands to me in that growth is bounded by water on most sides, so they don't have that sprawling feel you get in midwestern cities. Having a water boundary tends to put growth in a ring around the outside of the city instead of concentrating it in the middle. Vancouver is way ahead of San Francisco in building huge tower residences along the waterfronts. From an environmental and cultural perspective I think the population density is a good thing. People don't spend hours driving like the suburban folks do, and they can live a lot of their lives walking around outdoors. I found Vancouver's bus system to be very usable.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote