Trout fishing..in Argentina!

Nice pic C-T, except for the Yankees cap of course ;) You shoud get paid to host a Saturday fishing show on ESPN2 but then again if you got paid that would make it work right?

Hey Cut-Throat, was that fish full of eggs?

Ha

Cat,

Yup, it would be a job then. And I'd have to show up and smile. :(

Mikey,

Very possibly full of eggs. It was a female and they do enter the river to spawn. All fished were released, so don't know for sure.

This is a timely topic and I need to pick the brains of the anglers who have made similar trips.  Two friends and I are planning a bit of an expedition...a couple of weeks or more...to Argentina/Chile for a crack at these sea-runs, so let me lay out a few questions:

-Did you go with the guide/package approach, or self-guide?  We're off-road backpacker types and don't mind striking out with a map and a fly rod.  If you self-guided, what were your info sources?

-Red tape: passports, shots, visas, licenses, etc.  What's the procedure these days for getting permission to visit Argentina or Chile?  Also, do you need any kind of fishing licenses?

-Since FIRE I've been writing and I'll be pitching a half-dozen articles from this trip.  Any idea if it's necessary to declare yourself as a journalist or carry credentials when you visit either of these countries?  My brother's a professional photographer and he's been hassled in various places I won't name.

-Where's the good fishing?  Where should we go, specifically?

-Any pointers on technique, gear, fly box contents, etc?

-If you stopped over in, say, BA or Mar Del Plata, where did you stay?

-We wouldn't mind getting up into the highlands, either...a few days on the coast, a few days in the mountains.  Any experience away from the ocean?

I'll probably come up with a half-dozen more questions as this thing takes shape.  Meanwhile, thanx for the he'p.

Ed

C-T -

Just curious --- How do you fly fish on the cheap? Any certain expenses you cut?

wildcat said:
C-T -

Just curious --- How do you fly fish on the cheap?  Any certain expenses you cut?

Wildcat: Fly fishsing on the cheap is a two mile drive to a pretty good feeder stream, and packing a lunch with tuna sandwhiches and cheap beer.

Expensive fly-fishing is a 15 mile drive to a little better fly-stream with steak sandwhiches and imported beer. ;)

Ex-Jar -

Wish I was that close to a good fly stream

C-T -

With the cost of some of your trips being kinda high, what kind of people do you run across? Or do status symbols go to nil once you are in trout territory?

Have to earn it yourself? Give me the money!

Hell, you should have gave him the fish. I would have wrapped it in ice for him.

73ss454 said:
Have to earn it yourself?  Give me the money!

Hell, you should have gave him the fish.  I would have wrapped it in ice for him.

Like I said I would have gladly , but what he was saying was 'He wanted to catch one' - Not that he actually wanted a Fish!

wildcat said:
Ex-Jar -

C-T -

With the cost of some of your trips being kinda high, what kind of people do you run across?  Or do status symbols go to nil once you are in trout territory?

wildcat said:
Ex-Jar -

Wildcat: You're a young guy. (Be careful what you wish for.)

Most areas, (at least in the west), that have the easy access to fly-streams, also share a common characteristic. Very few jobs, and the ones you find are barely enough to keep you alive and kicking.

The folks (in general), that have spent their whole lives up here, will be working until they can't physically do it anymore.

It is a very beautiful area, but you've got to make a living, so...........

If you're into fly-fishing, do it the Cutthroat way. (Except for the $10,000 per trip example. ;))

Ex-Jar --

You are totally right. That is what vacations are for and I need time to develop my fly skills. Still looking for a good rookie fly vacation out west...

wildcat said:
Ex-Jar --

You are totally right.  That is what vacations are for and I need time to develop my fly skills.  Still looking for a good rookie fly vacation out west...

Take your Tent and Camping Gear out to Yellowstone Park in Late July.

More water than you can fish in Lifetime! - Talk to the other fisherman, admit you are a rookie and they will be glad to help you! I have made over a dozen trips there! Proably one of the best Trout fishing areas on the Planet! 8)

You run across alot of really rich folks! - Most of them are A**Holes!

I have noticed the same thing. Used to live on the east side of Lake Washington, surrounded by Microsofties and dot-com millionaires. Similar experience in my business. :(

Another motive for bailing. I would like to have some choice in the people with whom I associate. :)

Cheers,

El Gitano

Cut-Throat,

Thanks for your account of your trip, by the way. Most interesting.

I am gathering that much of the fishing in Argentina is catch-and-release these days.

I also understand that Argentina is significantly cheaper to visit than it used to be.

Also big. ;)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom