True Life Retirement Tales

On the smaller house front there was a rather interesting show last night on HGTV called "Small Spaces: Big Style". It was interesting to see what people have done with some small places and how nice many of them were. There were places that were in the 1000 sq ft range that I wouldn't mind living in at all (my current place is ~1300-1400 sq ft but I would rearrange the layout if I could). What bogled the mind though was people in the micro apartments of 500 sq ft or less - even one at 180 sq ft.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/spcl_prsntn/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3909_32145,00.html

Now John if this lady had a plasma TV in that big house, she sounds like a great date. But maybe not a good life partner for an ER.
LOL, I also dated a woman with a 4BR house (2400 sq ft) for her and her dog. And last week she bought a 62" plasma TV. However she is ER herself via savings, real estate and inheritance. Not a marriage candidate, though, for other reasons.

Re: Boats. Boats are sooooo much fun, but they're soooooo big a pain in the rear and money pits. Think I'll befriend people who own boats instead of owning my own.

I might think about downsizing again, after cleaning the hardwood floors yeaterday I'm thinking this one is too big....

KB, floor care was not the point of your post, but my hardwood floors are truly disgusting, and I don't have any idea what to use to clean them. Could you tell me what you did, and how well it worked? :)

Thanks, Mikey

For the past seven years we have lived in a one bedroom apartment, downsizing from a four bedroom home. I like the small space. Easy to clean but hard to avoid clutter. We went pretty upscale with the furnishings. However, I see little if anything else to buy and there is no more room anyway. I also like feeling virtuous. :)

On the downside, I have to confess we have a motorhome. We both like road trips. We can haul the motorcycles anywhere. Purely frivolous depreciating asset. If we hadn't bought it, probably could have retired a year ago. Nevertheless, no regrets.

Sold the boat tho.

KB, floor care was not the point of your post, but my hardwood floors are truly disgusting, and I don't have any idea what to use to clean them. Could you tell me what you did, and how well it worked? :)

Thanks, Mikey

Mikey,
If the varnish is still in good shape, then Murphy's Oil works well and won't drive you out of the house with chemical residue.

If the varnish is shot, then the wood gets really dirty. I don't know of any solution except re-sanding and re-varnishing, though others might know what to do to salvage a bare floor without the expense/effort of revarnishing.

ESRBob

Thanks, Mikey

Mikey, are the floors anything like your toilet? :-[

I have terry cloth covers that fit over a large flat mop thing. I also use Murphys soap in hot water. Fill the sink with some hot water, add a blub of soap. Wet the terry cloth cover in the sink and wring it out. Put the cover o nth mop and wipe until dirty. Turn it inside out and do the same. Mikey, you might need a lot of covers if your floors are really bad. But they wash up fine for next time. Wetting and wiping with towels would do the same thing only you have to get closer to the floor to use them.

I wish we could just put bleach tablets on the floor....like the toilet.. self cleaning. Actually a self cleaning house would be nice...

I wish we could just put bleach tablets on the floor....like the toilet..  self cleaning.  Actually a self cleaning house would be nice...

Hmmm, couldn't you just wear socks made out of "Swiffer" pads or attach them to your slippers? :D

Just get a Roomba and let it scurry around picking up stuff off the floor. I'm still trying to figure out how to automate dusting, though. Something like a blob of bacteria that go over every surface, consume all the dust, and then excrete diamonds would be nice....

Mikey, it sounds like you're well past the floor cleaning stage. Have you considered a large belt sander?

Mikey, are the floors anything like your toilet?   :-[
Except for no pee-pee, I'd have. to say yes. Walking barefoot is not attractive anyway.
Mikey...hire a housekeeper or get a friend.
Another good suggestion. I did invite a friend over once hoping that I could trade a little wood splitting or something, but she got too discouraged.

Mikey, not a Good Housekeeper

Nice thing about a fish camp - nail down a new layer of 1/4 inch plywood over the 3/4 and paint with deck paint mixed with a little sand for traction. 1995 - still holding up.

Heh,heh,heh - cheap is good. Plan to get rid of the carpets in the bedrooms - the same way - one of these years.

While you guys are thinking about cleaning that 4800 square foot house, I'll give you retirement tale #3:

Tale 3: I had an employee that took an early retirement on September 30, 2004. He retired in his early 50's (don't remember the exact age) and he'll be receiving a $1500 per month government pension. Well, he wanted to know how quickly he would get his $25,000 incentive to retire, because he needed the money to move to my city and get a job as a government contractor......doing the exact same job he did as a government employee!!! No offense, but I don't really call that retirement. Taking the retirement did make financial sense for him, but I just don't see how he can call himself a "retiree." He'll probably be a wage slave until he's 65.

Argh, you're pushing another hot button, daystar. I hear those tales of gov't employees double-dipping all the time. Keep them coming. I'm almost incensed enough to apply for a job as a postal worker.

Mikey, not a Good Housekeeper

I think you need to get down on your hands and knees and scrub. I don't like Murphy's oil soap--it can leave a soap scum if you don't absolutely rinse it all off. You might need something more powerful anyway (detergent or a special floor cleaner). If scrubbing with a brush and cloth doesn't get it all clean, try fine steel wool and mineral spirits for the final clean. If it turns out that the finish is worn off in places it is time to refinish the floors.

Take your shoes off when you come in the house and your floors will stay a lot cleaner.

Mom

I think you need to get down on your hands and knees and scrub.  I don't like Murphy's oil soap--it can leave a soap scum if you don't absolutely rinse it all off.  You might need something more powerful anyway (detergent or a special floor cleaner).  If scrubbing with a brush and cloth doesn't get it all clean, try fine steel wool and mineral spirits for the final clean.  If it turns out that the finish is worn off in places it is time to refinish the floors.

Take your shoes off when you come in the house and your floors will stay a lot cleaner.

Mom

Mom, I am grateful that you gave this detailed answer. I have asked people face to face before, but their answers indicate that they don't understand the scope of the problem. And I am too embarrassed to really get down to it.

Would something like TSP and ammonia be good, or would it strip the varnish? I actually thought of steel wool and mineral spirit as you mentioned, because it avoids water and yet I think it might do the job. My kitchen cabinets are oil finished, and I use spirit to clean them in just this way.

Once I get it clean, I will go shoeless. Actually I'll probably wear sandals that are reserved for inside.

Again thanks.

Mikey

I would stay away from ammonia. I don't think it is very effective as a cleaner and can leave a haze. (Never but never mix ammonia with products containing bleach. I though I would mention this just in case you get too creative).

TSP is good for removing greasy dirt. It shouldn't harm the floors.

Try not to use too much water and dry the floors as you go with a rag.

Thanks Martha. I am looking forward to clean floors :)

Mikey

Mikey.......I think we'd all like to hear your floor story when you're done.

Argh, you're pushing another hot button, daystar.   I hear those tales of gov't employees double-dipping all the time.    Keep them coming.   I'm almost incensed enough to apply for a job as a postal worker.

But, if you are forcibly retired, other folks don't want to hire you because of age or being a former govt. employee, what else do you do?

Do you know what a GS-3 makes? The salary range for 2004 is $21,257 - $27,635. It is a pitiful, pitiful salary, especially for someone in their 50's. If she's just a grade three, then it sounds like she has NEVER had a high paying job in all her working years. For wages that low, actually, I don't think $800 a month is that bad.

Hi Kathy! "Pitiful, pitiful salary"? Then go do something else. Don't whine! Hell, we are a a couple and could
get along just fine on that much income. Americans
are spoiled rotten.

JG

After having watched my mom's technique for 20 years (best looking wood floors), I use cooled black tea for the wood floors. Have also used cooled coffee ( what else to do with hotel samples if you don't drink coffee) to good effect.

Back
Top Bottom