Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This happened to my Dad too. By the time he was 54 he was too sick to travel. My Mom traveled with friends. We started traveling in our 40's but have really ramped it up now the past few years. Europe takes more physical stamina as many things are not very accessible if you have mobility problems. Our 27 ft RV lets us take all 4 of our dogs so we don't need to leave them behind. WE semi-retired when my hubby was 53 and I was 58. 4 years later we are glad we did.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We have been implementing a similar plan to OP. I was 55 and DW 54 when we retired 6 years ago and every year we have traveled 5 to 7 months / year using mostly VRBO rentals and their overseas equivalents in Europe, Canada and Australia.
I have so enjoyed following your journeys over the years!!! You have certainly made the most of your early retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This time last year I found myself in the ER with a heart problem, which turned out to be A-fib, and this week DW heard from her sister that she has breast cancer and will be having a lumpectomy and radiation therapy in a few days time. Life is great until it isn't.
I am so very sorry to hear this! I'm only on the boards intermittently lately. I hope your heart issue is well controlled now and also hope your SIL finds this to be an ugly bump in the road that she eventually will only see far, far in the mirror!

Death/fear of death is a gift, IMO. It is a great teacher. No one is promised tomorrow. I make an effort to wake up every day and remind myself of that. It helps me appreciate even the mundane things on a daily basis. Living my life like this helps me have less fear that I will have regrets someday about how I have lived my life.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I have so enjoyed following your journeys over the years!!! You have certainly made the most of your early retirement!

I am so very sorry to hear this! I'm only on the boards intermittently lately. I hope your heart issue is well controlled now and also hope your SIL finds this to be an ugly bump in the road that she eventually will only see far, far in the mirror!

Death/fear of death is a gift, IMO. It is a great teacher. No one is promised tomorrow. I make an effort to wake up every day and remind myself of that. It helps me appreciate even the mundane things on a daily basis. Living my life like this helps me have less fear that I will have regrets someday about how I have lived my life.
Thank you, we have really really enjoyed our travels, and hopefully my wife's sister will make a full recovery. (An Aunt of hers had a lumpectomy in her 70's and made a full recovery, living well into her 80's)

I don't expect the heart issue to be too much of a limiting factor for now, but my cardio doc says he expects it will get worse as time moves on, particularly once I am past age 65 so we are really pleased to have got in the travel we have so far.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
FWIW the study that said biggest regret boomers had was not traveling was paid for by... wait for it... British Airways.

Not saying the conclusion isn't correct, but...
I'm retiring in a week and it seems that 90% of people then state that it's great that I will now be able to travel on a regular basis. When I tell them that I'm not particularly interested in travel, the next comment is almost always "Well, then what will you do?"

I didn't realize that travel was mandatory...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
FWIW the study that said biggest regret boomers had was not traveling was paid for by... wait for it... British Airways.

Not saying the conclusion isn't correct, but...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I noticed that in a different story about this study, which also pointed out that not traveling more is the biggest regret... of people who like to travel

We do enjoy traveling and pretty much will go anywhere, any time. It must be very hard to have long-held plans disrupted by illness and death of a beloved partner, and sympathy and condolences to our members who have experienced this. A good friend said having had something to look forward to with his loved one was sad but he still found a measure of happiness that they had had plans, if that makes sense.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #26

If you enjoy travel, you should get as much in early as you can afford. Why not? You health will only get worse. Our parents have kept us closer to home than we would like but at some point, we expect to make longer commitments to travel. Even as it is, we will still do 2-3 trips to Europe/ Asia per year, Max duration about 2 weeks.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are planning to do something similar. We are 2-3 years away, though, but will also be 59/56.

We have been pairing down our "stuff" over the last 3 years and have pretty much nothing (that feels great!). Even our furniture is basically disposable at this point. Anything we really care about will probably fit in an 8 or 10ft POD.

We are "boat people", so our "travel" will be a bit different, though. We are planning to sell our house, put pour remaining stuff in a POD, and then move aboard our boat. We are planning to do "The Great Loop" (Google it) for a year or two. We will visit all of the towns along the way and decide where we might like to have a house when we are finished.

Or, who knows? At that point, we may decide to live aboard longer!

Go early, go now!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH is 58 and has been retired a year this month. I am 56 and have been retired since 50. I have been telling my DH over and over we need to do our traveling now while we are still able and have the interest to do it. He finally had an epiphany last week while mowing the lawn. I will be 70 in 12 years. Duh! Light bulb went off.

Our plans now are to sell house to DD and spouse. Rent their current 800 square foot house. It is a lock and leave place. We have sold our small rv and will be getting a new larger, dog friendly, rv to travel North America. We have visited several cities in the US over the years but will be going back with more than 9 days to do it all. I am so excited I can't hardly wait. We have a couple months to sell our "stuff" and move on.

We plan to do Europe only once but will be gone long enough (several months) to see what we want to see.

When we finish our out of country and long trip traveling in the rv we will then stop renting my DD house and find a growing old home. You know, one story with a small yard etc.

I had a heart valve replacement 3 years ago and realize life is short. Just took DH longer to realize this.

Safe travels and have a great time.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #29

I will not ER for another year, but about 6 years ago when we were empty nested DW and I started taking 2 big trips a year of 10-20 days each to national parks and Europe. We figured that in our 50's we would be able to do things that were more demanding than if we waited, so we didn't wait.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
If you enjoy travel, you should get as much in early as you can afford. Why not? You health will only get worse. Our parents have kept us closer to home than we would like but at some point, we expect to make longer commitments to travel. Even as it is, we will still do 2-3 trips to Europe/ Asia per year, Max duration about 2 weeks.
Yes our maximum was 3 weeks. Now it is 5-6 weeks.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #31
gone traveling

We lived overseas for about 20 of my 25 year career - we feel lucky to have traveled so much.

Over years, we met a lot of older people traveling, majority were trying to have fun experiences but just not healthy enough to do all the things they wanted to do. They universally remarked how they wish they had traveled at a younger age. We took that advice to heart ...

Back at home base now post FIRE for at least a few years to help kids transition to college and to help parents age gracefully.

Every intent is to go back to live abroad at least part time in a few years ... But honestly who knows. We could have our own health problems by then, parents could need us for longer term, our kids could get married and have grand kids. Who knows ...

Bottom line - we visited and lived in more places from age 20-45 ( and then retired ) than most people read about in an issue of national geo.

I feel lucky and blessed to have had the experience and passed on appreciation of travel and cultures etc to my kids. No illusions about guarantees of tomorrow...

Bottom line: Do it while you can. With Uber, airbBB, flyer miles it's probably never been easier or cheaper to travel than now ...
Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you are interested, you should do overseas travel first. The wear and tear will be higher and require good health.

Local travel would be better as a second phase.

Finally, cruises would be great if you find mobility compromised.

We are doing a bike/barge trip on the Moselle in June as part of 30 days from Amsterdam to Paris.
+1
Before RE we hiked the Dordogne region of France (6 months after getting a pacemaker).

If you're up for it and so inclined, I would consider some really cool places around the world. We've hiked in the British Isles, Europe, Japan, New Zealand, Canada and of course the US.

There are so many places to experience while you can.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #33

WE have had a few friends die or become very disabled in their 50-60's so it becomes very apparent that life can be short. I realize that some people don't like to travel and I have had a few military friends that had their fill of it and now just want to stay home. WE enjoy ourselves when we are home to by going to special events, etc. We have 4 old dogs so won't go longer then 3 weeks if we go without them. With the RV we take them all.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We have 4 old dogs so won't go longer then 3 weeks if we go without them. With the RV we take them all.
You are just responsible "parents"! The joy they bring offsets the anchor!
Old 04-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #35

Independent travel can be hard work at times. We are at the end of eight weeks in SE Asia. Our third winter here.

We want to get our list shortened while we have the health, stamina, and desire to travel. Already planning for next winter in South America. Just need to do some selling on the home front!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm retiring in a week and it seems that 90% of people then state that it's great that I will now be able to travel on a regular basis. When I tell them that I'm not particularly interested in travel, the next comment is almost always "Well, then what will you do?"

I didn't realize that travel was mandatory...
My sis-in-law has a trip planned virtually every month of the year. All over the world. She looks at me as though I'm some kind of odd duck. For me...driving 3 hours to my condo on the gulf coast is fine. I guess I'm kind of a routine type of guy and that's the routine I like. I do plan to venture off and take another trip to some other part of the country. Last Fall I drove out west(Santa Fe, Sedona, Zion Park...). One day I may go wild and take a cruise to the Cayman Islands.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Independent travel can be hard work at times.

We want to get our list shortened while we have the health, stamina, and desire to travel.
Absolutely! We went nuts when we first married 8 years ago, but have slowed down considerably. DW has a bad knee now, and that limits her mobility. We have given up on organized tours with the "bags outside at 7, on the bus at 8" routine.
However, we are now opting for independent travel, but using tour brochures as a guide. This worked well on a trip to Switzerland.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #38

Organized tours don't give us the time we need. Met a couple in Hue last week who were on an 11 day tour of Vietnam. They were enjoying it.

We spent 28 days....eight or nine of which were on beaches. We do far better on our own arranging travel a few days in advance. But we realize that this type of unscheduled travel us not for everyone.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #39

The flip side is recognizing what it is you enjoy doing. DW and I enjoy travel, but within limits. "Limits" primarily, but not exclusively, defined by length of air travel. More than not enjoying long flights - we both dislike it to the extent that it sours desire to travel to some places.
We are going to Hawaii this July; from the east coast that's a - yikes! - 10 hour flight. We're looking forward to the trip but highly doubt we'd do a 10 hour flight anywhere else in the future. So, going forward we are thinking of some places in Europe (Spain, maybe a revisit to glorious Italy) but have no feelings of deprivation by not seeing other places.
We also enjoy doing short-hop trips of just a couple of days. Everyone is different, "whatever floats your boat."
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

FIREmenow, is that a Nordic Tug? Love love love those! We too, will be boat people when DH retires (he's a boat builder) in 7 years. His parents who are now 76 and 77 will be taking off in their boat for a Caribbean adventure next winter but will maintain their home as well.