Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, kerik68, we are absolutely giddy right now as new owners (boat is 10 years old). We are only getting weekends and some week-long vacation cruises right now. Our boat is an American Tug. It is very similar to the Nordic Tug design - in fact, some Nordic original partners split off and started the company around 2000. Fair winds with your boat travels!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't like bus tours where they dictate everything but we have some friends that love them. Everyone is different. Sometimes when we travel we will take a day tour. I do agree that flying long distances is a drag. I went to Thailand once and only stayed 7 days which was a huge mistake because we lost 2 whole days to flying. It was 23 hours of flying. Europe is about the farthest we go now. We have talked about going to Australia but the thought of ever flying that long again is horrible.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #43

Sometimes things do not work out as planned.

We downsized to a container and travelled for seven months. When we came home we had every intention of buying a smaller home or condo. So we decided to do a short term rental while we shopped for a new home. Fast forward three years and we are still renting the same condo.

Makes no economic sense for us to buy in our down market. Plus, we really like being able to lock and go-most especially in the winter. Our expenses have dropped and our appetite for more frequent travel has increased. Not what we envisioned prior to FIRE but it works for us at the moment.

Our advice would be to stay loose and think outside the box. Looked at our closet today. I have about 1/3 the clothes that I had pre retirement. Same for DW. FIRE changed our lives and our attitudes. We don't sweat the small stuff and we go with the flow. This is a complete departure from my prior business life. We want to make the best of it while we can.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

So, we have our first trip planned and it was all by accident.

I was looking at cabins at the grand canyon and by luck was able to snag a cabin on the rim of the grand canyon. This started the ball rolling to go to Arizona. After many hours of searching on VRBO, Airbnb, Flipkey and Tuggs we found a 30 day rental in Sedona for the the fall of this year. The person we are renting from is giving us a great deal on price, cancellation policy and down payment. She had many online reviews that were excellent.

We have never been out west and are looking forward to hiking, cycling and relaxing for that month.

Hopefully, this will get us started on our NEW retirement plan.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #45

Sedona

You will love it there. I have attached a copy of our trip story. The hot air balloon ride was great, as was the train ride.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
You will love it there. I have attached a copy of our trip story. The hot air balloon ride was great, as was the train ride.
What a great trip report and thanks for giving us ideas on the activities in Sedona.

We tried to get reservations at Phantom Ranch but finally gave up. This is lodging at the bottom of the grand canyon after hiking down. It seems like their reservation system is outdated and only the "lucky" ones can get into the ranch. I don't have time to call everyday to see if there is a cancellation. They could make the process more efficient by having a waiting list. Oh well, maybe next year....
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Makes no economic sense for us to buy in our down market. Plus, we really like being able to lock and go-most especially in the winter. Our expenses have dropped and our appetite for more frequent travel has increased. Not what we envisioned prior to FIRE but it works for us at the moment...
We have rented for 19 years. It was a temporary move when we did it but gradually we made it our own. It enabled us to retire 13 years ago (we would have had to sell to make it work). Now we rent the place using Remax each winter.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
... We have never been out west and are looking forward to hiking, cycling and relaxing for that month...
So, after spending some time in AZ, you can go through CA, OR, WA, UT, etc... Lots of places to visit in the wild wild west. This map shows what is the US west.

Traveling through the states will dispel some misconceptions that people may have. For example, they may think of AZ as mostly desert, but the state has much high country with evergreen forest. Idaho is called "potato state", but its northern half is the Sawtooth Range (10,750 ft) with beautiful scenery. And Utah has more National Parks than most states.