Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Congrats Audrey, and thanks for taking the time to reflect for us. After 20 years I wonder if you can even remember what work life is like, though I’ve been retired 8 years and the memories still seem vivid.

I hope you enjoy the next twenty even more than the first twenty.

And thanks for so many helpful posts over the years, I’ve been reading and enjoying them for about 11 years.

Loved the pic, lifelong sailor here. I would’ve recognized it was a C&C without the caption with that distinctive sheer, coachroof and cove stripe. One of my closest sailing buddies has had 3 C&C’s (27, 33 & 110), I raced on all of them with him many, many times, and I don’t think he’ll ever own anything but a C&C even though they’re no longer in business.
I very rarely get work dreams anymore. But I do still remember it vividly.

I thought of you when I posted the pic, but I am still impressed that you recognized the boat make. We sure enjoyed that boat: very comfortable, beamy, but fast! (for us anyway, LOL)

Thanks much for the well wishes!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Thanks much everyone for the kind words and for celebrating with me!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add me to your fan base, color me impressed! I graduated with a BSME in 1980, and finally retired this year at 61. I’m sure I haven’t read all your posts, even about your FIRE, but one thing that has been mentioned by others and I assume holds for you was the importance of a like minded spouse, and finding that spouse at an early age, and no offspring(?). When you fired, I was getting married for the third time! Not that I only blame my ex’s for all our financial woes, but they sure never added to the bottom line, and alimony and child costs are a direct drain on anyone’s plans. #3 did contribute and has aided the plan, though she never made much, and she retired at 55.

Our plan was much different and included large pension and SS income, as there is no way I could ever have believed living entirely on a portfolio was something I could trust myself with until maybe 10 years ago, but by then, my plans had been laid out, and from my stand point seemed easy. And I only found this place 4 years ago, which was part of the problem. Whodathunkit? But honestly, that early of an ER was never on my radar in the least. I was and probably still am too conservative about personal life financial risks. My plan was plenty of fixed income with the portfolio designed for discretionary and lifestyle enhancing. Regardless of whether I had done as well as I did during the last 10, which far exceeded any of my plans, I was going out at 63. Just cutting it down 2 years seemed a major accomplishment, and realistically I could have easily left at 58, ( minor pension reduction and still had full company health care for both of us), but the greed of OMY (wait for DW to be on Medicare, have a promotion increase pension significantly, etc,) got the better of me.

Interesting to me, is that my college roommate and good friend, also went out west and worked a very successful startup, but instead of taking your more unusual path, started up two of his own companies (and selling them) after learning the ropes there, and “retired” at 50, only to try his hand at another one after being too bored with retirement “so young”. He and his spouse were also like minded ambitiously, ( but had some kids). So even with FIRE already his life, he still kept at it.

At least I am one of the youngest retirees I know from my own professional circle. Many I worked with have the more stubborn “we are put here to work and contribute” and worked at the same company 35-45 years, and I can’t tell you how many asked me in all seriousness, where I was going to work next, retiring “so young”. Everyone is different. Wish I’d found this place when you did!!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I’m 59 and have been retired for 9 years. My wife was able to take her full pension early so we’ve been traveling and enjoying life ever since. We have more money now than we had when we had when we retired. Life is Good.

Best Stephen
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I followed your links read through your story. Wow, an amazing detailed account through time. Thank you so much for sharing it. I love how you keep things simple and spend so much time just enjoying life.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

That is awesome! Love your timeline from start to present and most of all you LIVING life to the fullest.
Agsdocdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool story - I'm 53 and thought I was REAL early retiring at 49! BTW, I just bought a refurbished Sony A6000 with a Sigma 16mm 1.4 from Amazon and am having a blast learning on this thing. Amazing how far digital cameras have come in the past decade and this thing I have is considered old already! lol
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Add me to your fan base, color me impressed! I graduated with a BSME in 1980, and finally retired this year at 61. I’m sure I haven’t read all your posts, even about your FIRE, but one thing that has been mentioned by others and I assume holds for you was the importance of a like minded spouse, and finding that spouse at an early age, and no offspring(?). When you fired, I was getting married for the third time! Not that I only blame my ex’s for all our financial woes, but they sure never added to the bottom line, and alimony and child costs are a direct drain on anyone’s plans. #3 did contribute and has aided the plan, though she never made much, and she retired at 55.
Well actually I did get divorced at 27 which wiped out my savings and left me saddled with an underwater house that’s to the oil bust. And I remarried 4 years later to a much better life partner. But my good earnings and savings habits help me recover quickly although stock options were ultimately the big winner financially.

I was just glad to get that mess out of the way young, and not have any children involved.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Audrey, how did you handle health insurance all those years? If you already answered this, please point me to the post.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Congratulations on your anniversary! What a great story.
Ditto.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Ditto.

heh heh heh -
How long for you, unclemick? You’ve got me beat, I think, right?
Old 08-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Audrey, how did you handle health insurance all those years? If you already answered this, please point me to the post.
Cobra at first. Then my only option was a state health risk pool. In 2013 that closed and I went on an ACA eligible plan which I bought directly from the insurer. Got juggled around a bit as insurers kept limiting what they provided individuals. Ended up on an HMO plan, but at least the network is broad even though I always have to go through the PCP.

I’m just hoping I have insurance over the next 5 years. Fingers crossed! DH starts Medicare next year at least.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

How wonderful that you were able to do that !! Kudos I have been retired one year and bored out of my gourd 😂 hubby doesn’t want to retire (workaholic) same job 30 yrs
NanaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Audrey on your 20 year retirement milestone!

I have learned a lot from your posts since I discovered this forum a few years ago. However, I didn't know your back story until now. I love how you developed and evolved your strategies using research, trialed an approach and validated the results against a benchmark, all while taking into consideration your personal strengths, weakness, and tendencies. That is what I am striving to do.

Thank you for continuing to participate and share your experiences. One of the things I value about this forum is the high level of thought presented in different ideas, viewpoints, and strategies.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How long for you, unclemick? You’ve got me beat, I think, right?
Jan 1993.

heh heh heh - Although chickenheartedness made me talk 'unemployed slacker' and not advertise til I got my age 55 first pension check Aug 1998. Then I became 'high class ER'
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #76

Congrats!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #77

Congrats! When did the sailing slow down? I still sail a 26' with my ole man on occasion. Nothing like the sounds of the waves lapping against that fiberglass, the sun glistening off the water, just you and the sea! EDIT to add, i saw the answer above. When you began to travel extensively. Which lake did you sail on?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #78

Very cool story, Audrey! No wonder I love butterflies. I'm always reading your posts b/c they always offer a kind and stable opinion on whatever topic being discussed. You share your wisdom and that's so generous.

You've been on this forum since 2006, you've read a lot of posts! Hope you stay active here for many more years.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

Twenty years retired today, and thirty five more years to enjoy it. Wonderful.
I had no idea about the early thread(s) that I've now read.

Perhaps a foray into turning it into a guidebook? Doesn't seem like the philosophy has changed, and a real-life recounting of the judgments would be encouraging to younger people.

Such a great story... to be young, smart, inquisitive and having earned the wherewithal to explore whatever peaks your interest. (and the grace to share it with so many others. )

Best wishes for the many coming decades.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

audreyh1,

Congratulations!!

What would you do differently given that you have now 2 decades of perspective, if you had the ability to go back to 1999 (or any other time) when you were thinking about retirement?

What one advice you would share with the "we are thinking about retirement" group?

All the best,

Foodie
Foodie is offline   Reply With Quote