Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's the way I felt about it too!

Well, it's been 12 years and they haven't come for me yet.
It is unbelievable that you can sit at home and get paid for "nothing". At first I felt a little guilty as if I was robbing someone but I didn't know who. There were even times I felt I did not deserve it--don't know why. But then when I speak to some of my coworkers who is still enduring what I did, I know without a doubt, I deserve every bit and more.

Retirement is fabulous! If enjoying too much of a good thing is a sin, then I'm going to hell.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
LOL, it's so good. I'm still on the iPad listening to People's Court!

@ Ready...you are right about the exercise and that is something I must make part of my routine. I gave myself permission to do whatever I wanted during Jan/Feb...starting March it's time to add exercise, house projects and other chores. (interior painting won't be one of them, thanks for the tip Mulligan!

Cassie....retired and feeling less guilty each day!
Seven weeks in and the guilt has totally disappeared. I'm getting so use to the freedom that comes with ER that I feel somewhat sorry for folks that still have you work. I'm really starting to LIKE this!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

That first year is an exciting period. I'm finishing up my 8th month of ER and overall it's been great. I'm fully removed from my old career and having moved across the country have no contact with former co-workers. I must admit I miss the job/people some days, but I recognize it's just the romantic in me that only remembers the good moments and has forgotten about the commute, office politics, etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm having a harder time incorporating the exercise portion of this gig. I'm still in decompression and the most I can handle is walking the dog. My work bought me a beautiful $600 three speed bike for retirement and I've used it twice...but I did spend time kitting it out with a cute basket! Riding bikes where I'm at is dangerous and I have shoulder injuries that prevented me from using a bike rack on my car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
I'm having a harder time incorporating the exercise portion of this gig. I'm still in decompression and the most I can handle is walking the dog. My work bought me a beautiful $600 three speed bike for retirement and I've used it twice...but I did spend time kitting it out with a cute basket! Riding bikes where I'm at is dangerous and I have shoulder injuries that prevented me from using a bike rack on my car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!
LOL linny727... I totally understand!

@PERsonal.....yup, I believe the guilt has disappeared....

@ Nano.....I've got 10 more months of excitement :-), yippee!

Now if I can just get motivated to do the house projects I have lined up, one day....one day.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
Sorry to sound like a nag, but getting exercise if probably THE most important thing you can do for yourself, especially now that you are retired. If bicycle riding is not a good fit, then find something else. You've worked hard to get to this point, why would you not want to do everything you can to keep yourself healthy and be able to enjoy your retirement? With all the free time you now have, there is no excuse for not doing so. I doubled the amount of exercise I did once I left my job. I look forward to it every day. It's what allows me to have something in my day that I consider part of my routine, now that going into an office is no longer a part of it.

Find something you enjoy and challenge yourself. You couldn't give yourself a better gift.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I am the same regarding not starting out with an exercise program after 2 month of ER. I did not realize how much stress and heaviness was lifted off of me after I walked away. I still miss some of the people. but I know the door is closed. I think I am still getting adjusted to the "now what?" period and getting some traction under foot to start moving forward with this new phase in life!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Sorry to sound like a nag, but getting exercise if probably THE most important thing you can do for yourself, especially now that you are retired. If bicycle riding is not a good fit, then find something else. You've worked hard to get to this point, why would you not want to do everything you can to keep yourself healthy and be able to enjoy your retirement?
+1

I have to agree. I am a guy who hates exercise. Some people are invigorated by a good work-out. Me? A good work-out just gets in my way and makes me tired. But, I do it because the benefits in other areas of my life are so great.

One of the reasons I retired was to take better care of myself and exercise is one way I do it. The best exercise routine for you is the one you will continue doing. Find it.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am a guy who hates exercise. Some people are invigorated by a good work-out. Me? A good work-out just gets in my way and makes me tired. But, I do it because the benefits in other areas of my life are so great.
You just described me. But I'm the one pushing DW out the door to the gym most days because I want her to keep going too. But I've been a bit surprised how much better I feel since starting ~last November.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #30

While I generally enjoy outside exercise, sometimes I think of myself as the dog being dragged to the vet....it'll be GOOD for you! I will say with the exception of the one time I sustained a fairly significant injury, I've always been glad I went out. Always feel better.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since last August I have quit smoking (after 42 years), joined a gym, retired and lost 14 pounds. Dr is happy, happy, happy, as am I that I'm finally paying attention to myself rather than always having an excuse (the j*b). It's inspiring to see some many on this forum with active workout and active schedules.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #32

Finding exercise that you enjoy is key. I never cared for going to a gym. I'm fortunate to live in a warm weather climate, so outdoor activity is very easy to do. This weekend I was forced to stay indoors all weekend. I still got some exercise, but not as much as usual. I would have to find some indoor sports that I enjoy if I lived in a cold weather climate.

I used to enjoy racquetball, and it was great exercise. They don't play it much in California, but I think it's still popular in colder climates. I'm sure there are other things that can be fun and good exercise at the same time.

Just think of your exercise routine as being part of your new non-work routine. It creates a nice structure in the day for me and gives me a good reason to get up in the morning.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Finding exercise that you enjoy is key. I never cared for going to a gym.
I never cared for it either but I guess it depends on where one goes. The one we go to is affiliated with and right next to the local hospital. Other than staff almost all of the clientele are north of 50 years old. Many clearly are working on physical therapy issues. And there is the occasional eye candy.

The result is that it is almost entirely non-competitive. There are one or two everywhere but the atmosphere is very much more laid back and relaxed. We go in, do our routines, and leave. The hardest part is getting our collective butts in gear and out the door.

While I dislike exercise I do like the results enough to keep making the effort. It helps a lot that DW goes too.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I will purchase an Eliptical machine and wondered if you all would provide your input on the best place to set it up. In a small office room on the main floor or in a heated garage? DW thinks the garGe is best, but I worry about all the dust & dirt and maybe not having it convenient so it just sits collecting dust? I would like to put it in our office room which is plenty big. We have no basement (slab on grade) and thought that it would be too noisy in our upstairs family room. any experiences out there?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
DW and I will purchase an Eliptical machine and wondered if you all would provide your input on the best place to set it up. In a small office room on the main floor or in a heated garage? DW thinks the garage is best, but I worry about all the dust & dirt and maybe not having it convenient so it just sits collecting dust? I would like to put it in our office room which is plenty big. We have no basement (slab on grade) and thought that it would be too noisy in our upstairs family room. Any experiences out there?
Keep it close at hand in a room you see a lot and is comfortable to be in. We keep ours in a front room off the living room. It is easy to set up an iPod and speaker there, it's easy to keep cool, and we don't feel like we have to go to a dusty, out-of-the-way dungeon to exercise. Keeping it there isn't the most aesthetic thing to do, but it makes it easy and pleasant to use.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #36

Congratulations to you, Linda.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Congratulations to you, Linda.
Before I head off to the gym I just had to note how much I enjoy this forum. I decided against home machines because I needed the socialization of the gym, plus the ad hoc observations of the trainers, etc. It helps to live close to one!

While I am not in the habit of making comparisons, I have looked around at my sedantary friends and truly know I have better conditioning (such as it is), endurance and flexibilty. And I don't work very hard at it!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Since last August I have quit smoking (after 42 years), joined a gym, retired and lost 14 pounds. Dr is happy, happy, happy, as am I that I'm finally paying attention to myself rather than always having an excuse (the j*b). It's inspiring to see some many on this forum with active workout and active schedules.
Wow, congrats!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy activities over gym workouts so my fitness activities are walking in the evenings several times a week, sailing during the summers, surfing whenever we are at our beachhouse, and a few weeks ago I took up Tia Chi and am enjoying it.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
a few weeks ago I took up Tia Chi and am enjoying it.
I did that in college and found it to be good for body and mind. Now that I have more time, I was thinking of starting up again. Did you find a local gym that had sessions, the Y, a private teacher, or what?

Tags
decompress, expenditures, fear