Two months in...life is GOOD

lindal00l00

Dryer sheet wannabe
Many thanks for the advice, experience, and wisdom of this community.

I am roughly two months in to retirement and cannot get over the euphoria! And I still feel as though I am decompressing!!! Among my observations:
* So far the fears that seemed so prevalent before I left have no sign of materializing
* My fear over living on a limited income has indeed become a game to see how well I can do...and my quality of life has not diminished one bit!
* Expenses have truly dropped - not only gas and dining out, but also some of those discretionary expenditures that were attempting to address some undiagnosed unhappiness and fustration with work (good makeup, clothing, etc).
* I have a new cadre of friends at the gym including many folks who retired early and assure me that I will be fine. And they share their wisdom! And I spend more time there.

While I reserve the right to change my mind, I wish I had not told some of my work mentors that I would return as a contractor to help them out if needed, and I wish I had not committed to some pro bono work. Heck, I don't want to go within 10 miles of my former work location!!!

Life is good - especially the ability to sleep in and not worry about traveling to work in this east coast storm.

The guilt is slowly going away. I sometimes need to pinch myself to make sure I am not just dreaming this up! Life is great!

I so agree that "life is good"..,,I'm about 7 weeks in and enjoying MY time. I'm still waiting to get my pension adjusted but am getting by on my 1st interim "check".

I'm about seven weeks in myself and I can't believe how good it's starting to feel. The near elimination of stress combined with the freedom of not having to work is tremendous. And, I'm told by long term ER'ers that it only gets better!

I'm about seven weeks in myself and I can't believe how good it's starting to feel. The near elimination of stress combined with the freedom of not having to work is tremendous. And, I'm told by long term ER'ers that it only gets better!

+1. 7 months for me and I couldn't agree more.

"While I reserve the right to change my mind, I wish I had not told some of my work mentors that I would return as a contractor to help them out if needed, and I wish I had not committed to some pro bono work. Heck, I don't want to go within 10 miles of my former work location!!!"

Change your phone number, and be very selective about whom the new number is given. If they can't contact you...

"Life is GOOD" - that is what I tell my former co-workers when I meet them for the occasional lunch. I'm almost 6 months into retirement and I am still in the decompression stage. It's lasted a couple of months longer than I expected, and may go on for another few months. Or years? ? ?

Wow, congrats on chillin out! Definitely don't do any more work. They will find a way to get done what needs to get done even without ya...they always do. Just be honest and tell them you are loving retirement more than you expected.

* My fear over living on a limited income has indeed become a game to see how well I can do...and my quality of life has not diminished one bit!
* Expenses have truly dropped - not only gas and dining out, but also some of those discretionary expenditures that were attempting to address some undiagnosed unhappiness and fustration with work (good makeup, clothing, etc).

That is a game I get a kick out of playing, too. I keep a spreadsheet with a running total of all the recurring expenses we have cut without negatively impacting our quality of life, now that we have time to go over the budget in detail. We have cut a lot and still have many big ticket items yet to review, like new cell phone plans and price shopping car insurance.

We go out to eat just as much but DH is more willing to use Entertainment coupons now and we can go for lunch specials during the week, so it doesn't cost much more than eating at home. This weekend we found a new Thai restaurant we really liked.

We go out to eat just as much but DH is more willing to use Entertainment coupons now and we can go for lunch specials during the week, so it doesn't cost much more than eating at home.QUOTE]

Coupons are a huge hit in my life...also go out with friends and we split meals! I do wonder if I am over emmeshed in a couple of loyalty programs at the grocery store - but I try to play them to the max and use all the bonuses that I can!

I also try to spend an hour or so decluttering and have found enough needlework projects to keep me occupied for years -- more evidence of those 'feel good' purchases that have instantly vanished!:)

Wow, congrats on chillin out! Definitely don't do any more work. They will find a way to get done what needs to get done even without ya...they always do. Just be honest and tell them you are loving retirement more than you expected.

Exactly! I saw a former coworker after church last week and told her that while I initially thought I would go back to work, I have changed my mind! I am having too much fun!

I'm almost 2 months in and it is the most wonderful feeling! I can't explain it to my working friends who keep asking me what I'm doing with myself. Whatever I freaking want is my reply. I think that's worth retiring for! It will take me months to get a routine going, even though I don't want to be run by a routine. Right now I'm staying up late reading, sleeping in, sipping my coffee and doing whatever I want. I don't feel the need or desire to be "productive."

I can return to work a few hours a week at the end of June, a lot of folks at my old job think that's what I'll end up doing. Honestly, if I wanted to work I would not have retired!

I'm almost 2 months in and it is the most wonderful feeling! I can't explain it to my working friends who keep asking me what I'm doing with myself. Whatever I freaking want is my reply. I think that's worth retiring for! It will take me months to get a routine going, even though I don't want to be run by a routine. Right now I'm staying up late reading, sleeping in, sipping my coffee and doing whatever I want. I don't feel the need or desire to be "productive."

I can return to work a few hours a week at the end of June, a lot of folks at my old job think that's what I'll end up doing. Honestly, if I wanted to work I would not have retired!

Linny, I'm doing the same thing you're doing! I've got a small routine...sleep until I wake which is about 8, make coffee, get on my iPad, watch some TV, then get up and out. I make a list of things I want/need to do, each day I pick a few.

Linny, I'm doing the same thing you're doing! I've got a small routine...sleep until I wake which is about 8, make coffee, get on my iPad, watch some TV, then get up and out. I make a list of things I want/need to do, each day I pick a few.

That is the start of my day, also along with the morning newspaper. Do yourself a favor and do not put interior painting on your to do list. I am majorly bogged down in the project and bored to death with it. It feels like it will never get done!

And don't forget to get lots of exercise incorporated into the daily routine, since now that you have the free time, there is no excuse not to! And of course, it makes me feel great whenever I do. It's actually become the highlight of my day. Morning walks, bicycle rides, swimming, weight lifting, stretching. With no time crunch to get it in before the work day starts, it really helps me to keep the day exciting and challenging.

Well, I'm on my 6th week of retirement. I am suspicious of the whole affair. There has got to be something criminal about not working, being happy, and the money rolling in. This must be illegal or something...

Well, I'm on my 6th week of retirement. I am suspicious of the whole affair. There has got to be something criminal about not working, being happy, and the money rolling in. This must be illegal or something...

LOL, it's so good. I'm still on the iPad listening to People's Court!

@ Ready...you are right about the exercise and that is something I must make part of my routine. I gave myself permission to do whatever I wanted during Jan/Feb...starting March it's time to add exercise, house projects and other chores. (interior painting won't be one of them, thanks for the tip Mulligan!

Cassie....retired and feeling less guilty each day!

:LOL: That's the way I felt about it too!

Well, it's been 12 years and they haven't come for me yet.

:LOL: That's the way I felt about it too!

Well, it's been 12 years and they haven't come for me yet.
It is unbelievable that you can sit at home and get paid for "nothing". At first I felt a little guilty as if I was robbing someone but I didn't know who. There were even times I felt I did not deserve it--don't know why. But then when I speak to some of my coworkers who is still enduring what I did, I know without a doubt, I deserve every bit and more.

Retirement is fabulous! If enjoying too much of a good thing is a sin, then I'm going to hell.

LOL, it's so good. I'm still on the iPad listening to People's Court!

@ Ready...you are right about the exercise and that is something I must make part of my routine. I gave myself permission to do whatever I wanted during Jan/Feb...starting March it's time to add exercise, house projects and other chores. (interior painting won't be one of them, thanks for the tip Mulligan!

Cassie....retired and feeling less guilty each day!

Seven weeks in and the guilt has totally disappeared. I'm getting so use to the freedom that comes with ER that I feel somewhat sorry for folks that still have you work. I'm really starting to LIKE this!

That first year is an exciting period. I'm finishing up my 8th month of ER and overall it's been great. I'm fully removed from my old career and having moved across the country have no contact with former co-workers. I must admit I miss the job/people some days, but I recognize it's just the romantic in me that only remembers the good moments and has forgotten about the commute, office politics, etc.

I'm having a harder time incorporating the exercise portion of this gig. I'm still in decompression and the most I can handle is walking the dog. My work bought me a beautiful $600 three speed bike for retirement and I've used it twice...but I did spend time kitting it out with a cute basket! Riding bikes where I'm at is dangerous and I have shoulder injuries that prevented me from using a bike rack on my car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

I'm having a harder time incorporating the exercise portion of this gig. I'm still in decompression and the most I can handle is walking the dog. My work bought me a beautiful $600 three speed bike for retirement and I've used it twice...but I did spend time kitting it out with a cute basket! Riding bikes where I'm at is dangerous and I have shoulder injuries that prevented me from using a bike rack on my car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

LOL linny727... I totally understand!

@PERsonal.....yup, I believe the guilt has disappeared....

@ Nano.....I've got 10 more months of excitement :), yippee!

Now if I can just get motivated to do the house projects I have lined up, one day....one day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom