Two months in...life is GOOD

I'm having a harder time incorporating the exercise portion of this gig. I'm still in decompression and the most I can handle is walking the dog. My work bought me a beautiful $600 three speed bike for retirement and I've used it twice...but I did spend time kitting it out with a cute basket! Riding bikes where I'm at is dangerous and I have shoulder injuries that prevented me from using a bike rack on my car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

Sorry to sound like a nag, but getting exercise if probably THE most important thing you can do for yourself, especially now that you are retired. If bicycle riding is not a good fit, then find something else. You've worked hard to get to this point, why would you not want to do everything you can to keep yourself healthy and be able to enjoy your retirement? With all the free time you now have, there is no excuse for not doing so. I doubled the amount of exercise I did once I left my job. I look forward to it every day. It's what allows me to have something in my day that I consider part of my routine, now that going into an office is no longer a part of it.

Find something you enjoy and challenge yourself. You couldn't give yourself a better gift.

Reactions: W2R
I am the same regarding not starting out with an exercise program after 2 month of ER. I did not realize how much stress and heaviness was lifted off of me after I walked away. I still miss some of the people. but I know the door is closed. I think I am still getting adjusted to the "now what?" period and getting some traction under foot to start moving forward with this new phase in life!

Sorry to sound like a nag, but getting exercise if probably THE most important thing you can do for yourself, especially now that you are retired. If bicycle riding is not a good fit, then find something else. You've worked hard to get to this point, why would you not want to do everything you can to keep yourself healthy and be able to enjoy your retirement?

+1

I have to agree. I am a guy who hates exercise. Some people are invigorated by a good work-out. Me? A good work-out just gets in my way and makes me tired. But, I do it because the benefits in other areas of my life are so great.

One of the reasons I retired was to take better care of myself and exercise is one way I do it. The best exercise routine for you is the one you will continue doing. Find it.

I am a guy who hates exercise. Some people are invigorated by a good work-out. Me? A good work-out just gets in my way and makes me tired. But, I do it because the benefits in other areas of my life are so great.

You just described me. But I'm the one pushing DW out the door to the gym most days because I want her to keep going too. But I've been a bit surprised how much better I feel since starting ~last November.

While I generally enjoy outside exercise, sometimes I think of myself as the dog being dragged to the vet....it'll be GOOD for you! I will say with the exception of the one time I sustained a fairly significant injury, I've always been glad I went out. Always feel better.

Since last August I have quit smoking (after 42 years), joined a gym, retired and lost 14 pounds. Dr is happy, happy, happy, as am I that I'm finally paying attention to myself rather than always having an excuse (the j*b). It's inspiring to see some many on this forum with active workout and active schedules.

Finding exercise that you enjoy is key. I never cared for going to a gym. I'm fortunate to live in a warm weather climate, so outdoor activity is very easy to do. This weekend I was forced to stay indoors all weekend. I still got some exercise, but not as much as usual. I would have to find some indoor sports that I enjoy if I lived in a cold weather climate.

I used to enjoy racquetball, and it was great exercise. They don't play it much in California, but I think it's still popular in colder climates. I'm sure there are other things that can be fun and good exercise at the same time.

Just think of your exercise routine as being part of your new non-work routine. It creates a nice structure in the day for me and gives me a good reason to get up in the morning.

Finding exercise that you enjoy is key. I never cared for going to a gym.

I never cared for it either but I guess it depends on where one goes. The one we go to is affiliated with and right next to the local hospital. Other than staff almost all of the clientele are north of 50 years old. Many clearly are working on physical therapy issues. And there is the occasional eye candy.>:D

The result is that it is almost entirely non-competitive. There are one or two everywhere but the atmosphere is very much more laid back and relaxed. We go in, do our routines, and leave. The hardest part is getting our collective butts in gear and out the door.

While I dislike exercise I do like the results enough to keep making the effort. It helps a lot that DW goes too.

DW and I will purchase an Eliptical machine and wondered if you all would provide your input on the best place to set it up. In a small office room on the main floor or in a heated garage? DW thinks the garGe is best, but I worry about all the dust & dirt and maybe not having it convenient so it just sits collecting dust? I would like to put it in our office room which is plenty big. We have no basement (slab on grade) and thought that it would be too noisy in our upstairs family room. any experiences out there?

DW and I will purchase an Eliptical machine and wondered if you all would provide your input on the best place to set it up. In a small office room on the main floor or in a heated garage? DW thinks the garage is best, but I worry about all the dust & dirt and maybe not having it convenient so it just sits collecting dust? I would like to put it in our office room which is plenty big. We have no basement (slab on grade) and thought that it would be too noisy in our upstairs family room. Any experiences out there?
Keep it close at hand in a room you see a lot and is comfortable to be in. We keep ours in a front room off the living room. It is easy to set up an iPod and speaker there, it's easy to keep cool, and we don't feel like we have to go to a dusty, out-of-the-way dungeon to exercise. Keeping it there isn't the most aesthetic thing to do, but it makes it easy and pleasant to use.

Congratulations to you, Linda.

Before I head off to the gym I just had to note how much I enjoy this forum. I decided against home machines because I needed the socialization of the gym, plus the ad hoc observations of the trainers, etc. It helps to live close to one!

While I am not in the habit of making comparisons, I have looked around at my sedantary friends and truly know I have better conditioning (such as it is), endurance and flexibilty. And I don't work very hard at it!
:dance:

Since last August I have quit smoking (after 42 years), joined a gym, retired and lost 14 pounds. Dr is happy, happy, happy, as am I that I'm finally paying attention to myself rather than always having an excuse (the j*b). It's inspiring to see some many on this forum with active workout and active schedules.

Wow, congrats!

I enjoy activities over gym workouts so my fitness activities are walking in the evenings several times a week, sailing during the summers, surfing whenever we are at our beachhouse, and a few weeks ago I took up Tia Chi and am enjoying it.

a few weeks ago I took up Tia Chi and am enjoying it.
I did that in college and found it to be good for body and mind. Now that I have more time, I was thinking of starting up again. Did you find a local gym that had sessions, the Y, a private teacher, or what?

I did that in college and found it to be good for body and mind. Now that I have more time, I was thinking of starting up again. Did you find a local gym that had sessions, the Y, a private teacher, or what?

Yes, the class I am taking is for rank beginners at our park district. They have several levels that will probably keep me busy for a while.

DW and I will purchase an Eliptical machine and wondered if you all would provide your input on the best place to set it up. In a small office room on the main floor or in a heated garage? DW thinks the garGe is best, but I worry about all the dust & dirt and maybe not having it convenient so it just sits collecting dust? I would like to put it in our office room which is plenty big. We have no basement (slab on grade) and thought that it would be too noisy in our upstairs family room. any experiences out there?
I was thinking about setting mine up in the trash can!:LOL:

Seriously, my wife bought it several years ago and after she passed away it just sat there. I tried to use it a couple of times, but just couldn't get into it. Even bought a TV to set up in front of it. It is a high end model. We bought a cheaper one, but it was done after about a year so we bought an expensive one. Last month I suddenly had high blood pressure so I will keep it for next winter when I can't go outside. I'll have a walkout basement so it will go in the lower level family room looking out over the mountains. That should help the enthusiasm.

All exercise equipment should go in the garage. That way, when you have a garage sale to get rid of it (for pennies on the dollar) you won't need to lug it...just let the buyer take it away :)

Been lifting weights since 20 years old (back when the first Wells Fargo stage coach crossed the west). Probably die on a weight bench in a gym somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom