Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have not ERd yet. We are transitioning now. I am sure we will have certain regrets in retrospect. Nothing like being in the future to see the holes in ones plans and actions.

One transition situation that I found painful, then elation, then painful....

Adjusting our portfolio at 50 for FIRE.... I reallocated a large amount of money to bonds in 2006.

1. It was painful to see stocks continue to go up, up and up (Felt like I was missing out).
  2. 2007 -2009... elation, My FIRE plans will not be interrupted.
  3. Now.... the pain is back
[in a voice struggling to talk while in physical combat with an adversary] Must...uh uh.. FIGHT uh grunt... GREED!

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
3. Now.... the pain is back....
Welcome to the club. That's why I spent mucho hours in late 2008 to the present designing my portfolio to ride with trends. It just suits my personality more then buy-hold. But trading is very low and so it's nearly buy-hold thus can feel somewhat saintly too.

I can still feel the pain though. Never completely satisfied, that's life.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
1. Everything.
I had to shift from Plan A to Plan B in very short order when my husband passed. Plan B included ramping up my contributions to my TSP 401(k) and being faster on my feet than I had anticipated. It was tough, but I got through it all and came out shining.

A few added items...
I had a new roof put on the house and the upstairs bathroom completely remodeled while I still had an ample paycheck to replace the money already saved for these projects. It would have been very diificult to pay for projects of this scale on my FIRE income. I wanted to have the house in tip top condition for high cost maintenance/repair/upgrade items that I am unable to do myself. All I need to do now is replace the 1977 vintage windows, a few at a time each year as I can afford to. So far so good.

2. No regrets.

Well, maybe one little one. I had 1 year 10 months to go until I would have been eligible for an early out at age 50 with 20 years service. The early out option was not guaranteed to even be offered at my 50/20 date, and if it had been, there were a lot of local politics and favoritism involved in being "approved". I had already observed how this process was applied to other co-w*rkers. Many applications were refused or delayed processing.
However, exiting a toxic w*rk environment (for lots of people, not just me) on my own terms (at 18 years 3 months service) probably added years to my life. It was and still is a good decision from that perspective.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
The best thing we have done was paid off our home and rental. Also, reading The Boglehead's Guide to Investing helped me to plan out a chart. Before that, I had no clue. I sort of wondered around in a cloud thinking that things always work out. Also, we purchased a small business (part-time) that we love, and that gives a nice feeling of security when the markets seem to be unstable. The business is low-maintenance, and low-stress.

I wish I had learned about the Bogleheads website earlier than I did. I can't express how helpful those people have been in helping us to get our ducks in a row.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #45
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow, that is planning in advance for ER. How were you sure enough you would/could stay at your employer long enough for that to pay off?
I had to pretty much decide then to stick it out. At the time I was taking classes offered through my employer, the Nevada Dept of Transportation, to allow me to become a professional engineer. I already had 5 years in so only 20 to go after purchasing the additional 5. I don't regret it, but in retrospect I really limited my opportunities to make more money in the private sector. I set a goal to retire at a certain grade and I met that goal plus about 8 years before I retired the salaries of engineers was raised 10% to keep up with local government and the private companies so I'm really 10% beyond my goal.

Either way, I'm retired now.
Retired July 4th, 2010 at age 43
Trout Bum, Writer, Full-Time Dad and Husband

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I don't regret it, but in retrospect I really limited my opportunities to make more money in the private sector.
Every time I hear a grass/greener story (we hear a lot of them in the military) I wonder if the extra salary compensates for the layoff risk.

Buying all those years of service was a heckuva deferred-comp benefit, too, and I don't know how easily those are found in private employ.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #47
1. With most of the debts (including house) paid and some investments in place, I learned to live on 15% of my last drawn salary for more than a year before I retired which meant I changed my shopping habits and learned to stretch the dollar. So, it was really quite easy to carry on living with less when I retired.

2. I wished I put aside more for unforseen expenditure which does not relate to me or DH for instance medical expenses for my parent who was diagnosed of cancer in his eighties.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets
Mine too - I have enough money to retire, I'm just can't afford health insurance. We are 50 yrs and now must work to pay for health insurance! I would gladly give up my job, so a younger person could start working if only I could find affordable health insurance.

2. I would say that the health care situation in this country is probably the only note souring my decision to retire early. Health care is my biggest source of worry and frustration for the future. So, in retrospect, I should have focused more on retirement benefits when I was looking for jobs. I turned down a job at a state university because the pay was subpar. I think it may have been shortsighted.[/QUOTE]
Skimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Spent very little money on stuff that wasn't worth it.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote