Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Excellent writing. However, my retirement has been a bit different. You see, my wife works. And on Sunday she says:

Monday - do the wash
Tue - go grocery shopping, clean out the refrigerator, sweep and mop the kitchen
Wed - clean the bathrooms and toilets, dust the furniture
Thur - vacuum the house, sweep off the porch and clean the patio table and chairs
Fri - clean the windows. Then have the rest of the day off

:-(
My sympathies. Perhaps, she gives you a little bit of reward on Saturday & Sunday for job well done?

My DW won't make me go through any tasks she is doing. One, she has been retired for years. Two, she doesn't trust quality of my work when it comes to doing house chores. Yes, I was born clumsy and it's good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Yes, I was born clumsy and it's good.
Yes. When I was much younger Mom decided I should help with washing dishes. After I dropped and broke about four or five items I was relegated to outside chores.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes. When I was much younger Mom decided I should help with washing dishes. After I dropped and broke about four or five items I was relegated to outside chores.
Seems like willful creative incompetence.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Excellent writing. However, my retirement has been a bit different. You see, my wife works. And on Sunday she says:

Monday - do the wash
Tue - go grocery shopping, clean out the refrigerator, sweep and mop the kitchen
Wed - clean the bathrooms and toilets, dust the furniture
Thur - vacuum the house, sweep off the porch and clean the patio table and chairs
Fri - clean the windows. Then have the rest of the day off

:-(
What?!?

I do not see "making dinner" listed for every day. Or is it among the mandatory daily activities, hence no need to be listed, same as "taking out trash", "washing dishes", "making bed"?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Would love to make that ride with you to West VA. A friend owned 700 acres in the Blue Ridge mountains and we used to go motorcycle/car riding as kids. Our shotguns strapped to the back of the motorcycle, in case we saw any squirrels.

Some of the best times of my life.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #46

Phantasmagorical....the only time I've seen that used before is by Edgar Allan Poe, so JoeWras' comment about your post being "poetic" seemed perfect!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's another who hopes you will share more of your wonderfully descriptive writing abilities!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What?!?

I do not see "making dinner" listed for every day. Or is it among the mandatory daily activities, hence no need to be listed, same as "taking out trash", "washing dishes", "making bed"?
you nailed it.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHaven View Post
My last day will be 6/30. And every day is extremely slow. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas. I'll be done after the second busiest time of the year with "daily beating"s leading up to that monday, the 30th. Hopefully my last "blue sunday night" (which I experience every sunday night) will be my last.

Thank you for your great writing...
Ditto on the every day is extremely slow at this point. I retire July 2 and I think I made a mistake giving two months written notice. I am being worked like a wet mule before I leave as my replacement won't be on the job for at least two more months. I guess this will make July 3 especially sweet although I have no big plans for the day other than not setting the alarm clock in the a.m. and going to the hairdresser at noon rather than 4:30.

I told my boss I just wanted lunch out with a handful of friends on July 2, not the conference room send off with the whole agency and cake and flowers and gifts and speeches. It is even worse now. The simple lunch has morphed into a big party at a banquet hall-type restaurant with the whole agency and I dread to think of it. I only found out what was afoot when one fellow blabbed as he thought I knew.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I told my boss I just wanted lunch out with a handful of friends on July 2, not the conference room send off with the whole agency and cake and flowers and gifts and speeches. It is even worse now. The simple lunch has morphed into a big party at a banquet hall-type restaurant with the whole agency and I dread to think of it. I only found out what was afoot when one fellow blabbed as he thought I knew.

Ahhh, yuck. I feel for you. That would be the last thing I would want on my way out. Amazing how people want to do something nice for you only to end up doing it they way they want it done completely ignoring the feelings of the person they're attempting to recognize. Good luck. It's getting close!
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

I hated the "send-off", asked them to have my retirement party without me the Monday after my departure but no such luck. It's just something we have to power through remembering what we are escaping.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #52

I very vocally said I didn't want the send-off lunch, and encouraged folks meeting up at Green Flash's tasting room. (Microbrewery that's in the 'hood of my old work.) Much better way to leave - could actually talk to people one on one, no speeches, no formality. And good beer at the same time.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
... 'tis better, in most respects.

Surreal indeed.

Only two weeks in, I'm a very junior member of the retireati. But what I can say is that it is both different and better than what I had imagined.

I thought, from having heard from so many ahead of me, that I might have a period of transition to go through. For me, it didn't really seem to take any time at all. The first days held a quiet, relaxed clarity. And the first Sunday evening - when I rightly might have expected, out of habit, to still feel a tug of the old blues, like I had every other Sunday since I've been an adult - I felt instead nothing but a wash of quiet satisfaction.

I can offer that motorcycle rides during the week have a very different character than do those Saturday-Sunday jaunts.

Wonderful writing. I excerpted the part that means the most to me because I spent most of my working life in a deep funk on Sundays. Don't get me wrong I had a very good career, had good bosses and made good money. But every Sunday I would get into this really deep depressed mood because of MONDAY!

I also rode my motorcycle over the weekends during my working career- wonderful!. Motorcycling requires total concentration so everything else other than the ride must leave the mind. After I retired I found I needed the Zen of motorcycling a bit less.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
After I retired I found I needed the Zen of motorcycling a bit less.
I found that too, only with me it was flying radio control model airplanes. Flights with those are usually in the 10-15 minute range because of the intense concentration required. Mentally you have to be "ahead of the airplane". A great hobby I thoroughly enjoyed for 18 years.

After retirement I lost all interest.

DW's sister, an RN, says that was my mental escape. Probably right.