Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Type A Retirement
Old 11-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
He says that as though it's a good thing. Great if it works for him, but it sounds a little apologetic to me. Does he live every day like a hyperactive bunny? Is he implying that he never gets up in the morning with nothing to do all day? Does he need a vacation from Aspen to recover from life's frenetic pace?
I don't see it as apologetic at all, maybe a little hyped for the article, but not apologetic. He leads an active life that he is happy with. My guess is that he has plenty of down-time intermixed with the activities. My active parents always fit in some down time but many of their friends make no effort to be active at all. Those friends are all in bad shape and get exhausted walking around the block (but they still somehow manage to drink like fish. Go figure).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Jarhead, you tell your stories so compellingly that I almost feel that I know this guy too; I can almost imagine the scene where you ran across him.

Thanks!

Ha
Mikey: Thanks for the kind words.

UncleMick: Re: your friend Morgan.

We live at about the 2500 foot elevation, and in about about a 20 minute drive the elevation is around 6000 feet. (Mostly forestry property).

There's a small mkt. a couple miles from us, and
the owner set up a couple of tables under the trees, where customers can sit outside and have a beer, or whatever.

Once in a while, if you're really lucky, you'll run into a "covey" of guys coming down from the hills, to sit outside the mkt. and tell stories. (Bull-----). They are mostly, as my father used to say "no-accounts", but entertaining as hell. Most of them live in travel-trailers, and park it on forestry land. They are mostly ignored.
No such thing as any game being out of season, or "hunting license".
The Morgan types are very much still alive and kicking.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
They are mostly, as my father used to say "no-accounts", but entertaining as hell.*
I like being a "no-account."*

When I grow up, I want to be like Fred, who claims: "My principal accomplishment in life, aside from my children, is the discovery that it is possible to jitterbug to the Brandenburgs. "* 8)

http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Bio.htm

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I like being a "no-account."*

Eagle 43: Sorry, old buddy, but you don't qualify for the "no account" tag.
You worked close to regular retirement age, and are doing exactly what you should be doing. (Enjoying yourself). Glad you had a good trip to Paris.
The "no accounts" I was referring to (through the words of my dad), are the guys that are willing to live in high elevation, leaky travel trailers in the Sierras, (most of them are between 30 to 50 years of age,), with no visable means of support, and will suffer any hardship to avoid having to work. (Good son-in-law material?)
Maybe in your next life, you may qualify for a "no-account", but you blew it this time around.