Join Early Retirement Today

Type A Retirement
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Type A Retirement

IMHO this is a genuinely good article in the LA Times about the two major types of men of retirement age, those that want to retire and those who never want to retire:

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedi...,1467397.story

But the real question is how many working don't want to but have to? I would assume (a dangerous thing) that if a person ERd and didn't like it they could just go back to work.

But at least the article explores things better than most which really seem to emphasize a particular point of view.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Type A Retirement
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agreed. Really good article. I liked the guy who retired to Aspen. Same thing for me though it will be warm water and wind instead snow and mountains.

Since moving to Aspen full time with his wife, who sold real estate and raised the couple's two children, he's skied 75 days a year and earned a pilot's license. He's active in local politics, writes a column for the Aspen Daily News, and hosts a weekly talk show on the town's public access TV station. "I feel that I retired to something rather than from something," he says. "The good thing about retiring to Aspen is you're in a place where there are other active retired people to do things with. This is an incredibly competitive physical environment. Staying fit and trying to stay healthy is a full-time activity. When people come to visit us, they go home exhausted. We go from a hike to a political talk to the music festival to a fundraiser."

Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
When people come to visit us, they go home exhausted.
He says that as though it's a good thing. Great if it works for him, but it sounds a little apologetic to me. Does he live every day like a hyperactive bunny? Is he implying that he never gets up in the morning with nothing to do all day? Does he need a vacation from Aspen to recover from life's frenetic pace?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #4

That's great if that guy likes swooshing the slopes that much but, like everything else in life, it is what you make of it and retirement is no different. I'm not retired yet and every time I talk about RE friends and relatives tell me I'll be bored and ask why I would want to quit working. As said in another thread, they are the ones that will keep SS going while I enjoy my life/retirement the way "I" want to.

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #5

I like the oxymoronic: "We don't just want to relax. We want to be on the cutting edge of relaxing. We want to relax better and faster."

Still interesting article, I was wondering if any of the already retired think it as accurate as this near retiree thinks it is. Particularly the social gap between the retired and the nonretired.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yup, I've got to have my 'down time'. After my work out at the health club, I usually turn on my Tube Audio gear (which I built) and seriously listen to about 2 hours of Jazz Music. A glass of wine or two usualy accompanies. 8). It may look like I'm doing nothing, but I'm actively enjoying my hobby!

When I take a fishing trip, I listen to the songbirds and frogs and sounds of the river and enjoy that immensely as well. But after a week or so I start to miss the Wine, women and song part of life, and look forward to it on my return.

These type "A" Buzz Saws, don't ever take time to smell the roses and listen to lifes music! - Too each his own, but I'm not going there!
How much power? Where do you get your tubes? NOS? Anyone with a tube amp probably listens to vinyl instead of CDs.

I'm into tube guitar amps, which are diametrically opposite; love the way tubes distort!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
How much power? Where do you get your tubes? NOS? Anyone with a tube amp probably listens to vinyl instead of CDs.

I'm into tube guitar amps, which are diametrically opposite; love the way tubes distort!!
All of my Tube amps are the very low power SET amps. 2A3's and 45's The 2A3's are only 3.5 watts per channel and the 45 amps are only 1.8 watts per channel. But I use very efficient speakers (104db).

I pick up a lot of my tubes on E-bay. I don't do Vinyl any more, but I have a tube CD player!

Here is a pic of the 45 amps I built last year.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Class A, I assume; get the transformers on Ebay also?

It's amazing how loud clean low-power is...

104db sensitivity doesn't hurt, either.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
HF/WR, what are you playing through? Here's one of my rigs...

Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup, I've got to have my 'down time'. After my work out at the health club, I usually turn on my Tube Audio gear (which I built) and seriously listen to about 2 hours of Jazz Music. A glass of wine or two usualy accompanies. 8). It may look like I'm doing nothing, but I'm actively enjoying my hobby!
C-T, Who are your favorite jazz artists?

Quote:
When I take a fishing trip, I listen to the songbirds and frogs and sounds of the river and enjoy that immensely as well. But after a week or so I start to miss the Wine, women and song part of life, and look forward to it on my return.
Oh man, this is great. While on the road, I guess you could get your wine from a liquor store, and your song from the radio, but I can sure understand that you would want to get back home for your woman!

Ha
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No pic, since I'm at w***...

Currently only have a Carvin combo, 3-12AX7s and 2-6L6s.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Saw Al DiMeola a couple of weeks ago; did a largely elec guitar show. Makes me wanna burn my guitars...

Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Still interesting article, I was wondering if any of the already retired think it as accurate as this near retiree thinks it is. Particularly the social gap between the retired and the nonretired.
"Anhedonics". Excellent word.

"A retired business executive who lives in Westchester, N.Y., commutes to a rented office in Manhattan each day, where his major activity is reading the newspaper. He says, "I don't want to be home in the daytime, just sitting around." " Why the heck not? I can understand how sitting around could eventually become boring, but if home isn't an enjoyable place to be then why are you living there?!?

People are frustrated because they're trying to live up to someone else's image of what they should be doing. When that image is created by the media it's even more frustrating.

I didn't socialize with people just because I worked with them-- we socialized because we had many things in common and work happened to be the mechanism through which we met. Same in ER-- I don't socialize with other ERs just because of their LACK of work but because we have many other things in common.

So these days we hang out with tae kwon do parents, surfers, neighbors, and family. The only difference is that it's easier to arrange a playdate with someone who doesn't have to show up at the office.

One of the most interesting people I've met in ER is a mid-40s unemployable recovering addict. Think of Doonesbury's Zonker Harris or his sensei Old Surfer Dude. You know that phrase "a rap sheet as long as his arm"? He's shown me his rap sheet, and it's taller than he is. If the police bothered to execute the outstanding bench warrants it'd be two feet longer! Aside from his truly eye-popping jaw-dropping stories (who cares whether or not they're true) he's a testament to surviving the odds. He's swimming along through society's sewers, totally unable to function at a higher level, and living a life far richer than that experienced by your average cubicle dweller. Of course the price he's paid has been far higher, too. However I never would have met him if I'd been going to the office to read my newspaper.

So, yes, there is a social gap in ER. The big difference is that now you're in control of choosing the situations. But if ER'd golfers are hanging around the course picking off the unwary passers-by, then perhaps they need to consider going back to work. It's your own fault if you can't be responsible for your own entertainment.

And if you're hanging around the course criticizing its maintenance, then for gosh' sakes play somewhere else!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It's your own fault if you can't be responsible for your own entertainment.

A great line from Nords.

Maybe thats part of how different people deal with life? Some expect to be entertained and some figure out that happiness is their own responsibility?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I was wondering if any of the already retired think it as accurate as this near retiree thinks it is. Particularly the social gap between the retired and the nonretired.
Yes, the gap is that wide. You will drop most of your 'work' friends, keep fewer of the 'social work' ones, and develop new non-employed ones. That does not mean that it isn't worthwhile. It is more of a question of whether you are retiring from or to something. If the latter, you'll drop them anyway as you will gradually change. [retired 2/19/04* ]
Old 11-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
One of the most interesting people I've met in ER is a mid-40s unemployable recovering addict.* Think of Doonesbury's Zonker Harris or his sensei Old Surfer Dude.* You know that phrase "a rap sheet as long as his arm"?* He's shown me his rap sheet, and it's taller than he is.* If the police bothered to execute the outstanding bench warrants it'd be two feet longer!* Aside from his truly eye-popping jaw-dropping stories (who cares whether or not they're true) he's a testament to surviving the odds.* He's swimming along through society's sewers, totally unable to function at a higher level, and living a life far richer than that experienced by your average cubicle dweller.* Of course the price he's paid has been far higher, too.* However I never would have met him if I'd been going to the office to read my newspaper.
Nords:* I read that article also.* I usually am not interested in the
soul-searching aspect of retiring or not.* (As you know, it's been 19 years for me, and if it was a mistake, I'd damn sure not admit it.)

Actually, my retirement has given me an opportunity to pursue the activities that I really enjoy, without the time constraints of raising children and career.* Seems pretty natural to me.

I was interested in your contact with the guy that was "operating on the edge"., and thought of a similar situation that I ran into about 8 years ago that you might find interesting.

I was fly-fishing, at a local stream about a couple miles from my place one evening.* Had the stream to myself, and was walking downstream.* A real motley looking character showed up walking upstream, right across from me.* Could tell he was an above average fly-fishermen, by both technique and production.* The sun was about to set, and I had a six-pac in my p/up, so I invited him to share a couple of beers with me.*

We struck up a friendship of sorts because of our common interest, and spent probably 6 or 7 evenings fishing until dark, and sharing a few beers that summer.* I knew nothing about him, except the fact that he was an outstinding fly-fisherman.* He had no phone, and when we got together, it was a phone call from me to his brother, or visa versa.* I struck up a conversation with his brother one evening and he mentioned to me that Bob really enjoyed fishing with me, and I said likewise. His brother mentioned that he really appreciated me spending time with him, which seemed a little strange to say the least.* He went on to say that I was the only guy that Bob had really talked to for a long time.

Seems that Bob was an Army Infantry Lt. and spent two tours in Vietnam, and his inability to talk about anything other than fly-fishing was a combination of history of drugs, and "flashbacks".

His brother mentioned to me that he believed Bob enjoying my company was based on the fact that I didn't probe into any personal details, which was true.* His brother stated that Bob lived in an old single wide mobile home, on his property, and had been there since the mid 70's, living on a small disability pension from the Army.*

In any case, the next summer, I called a number of times, and the phone had been disconnected.* I don't know what happened to Bob, (or his brother), but he was a helluva fly-fisherman.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Jarhead, you tell your stories so compellingly that I almost feel that I know this guy too; I can almost imagine the scene where you ran across him.

Thanks!

Ha
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #18

My take on the article is that is author, approaching retirement is nervous about it. So after alot of research later, comes up with a dont-let-this-happen-to-you story. IMHO the author is fraidy-scared of the future.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Jarhead

Your story reminds me of Morgan - Korean war vet - lived in a trailer on the back of his parents property (PacNW) - as youngsters (? 11-14 ?) - we used to try to sneak up on him in the woods - he taught us more about trapping, fishing and hunting and stalking than we learned in Boy Scouts.

Heh heh heh - "Morgan why do you run crawfish traps?" ---- promise not to tell ---Chinese restaurant --- people think they are tasting shrimp."

Never ate Chinese in Longview WA. -- at least when I was young.

Heh heh heh.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Jarhead,

Nice story about a Trout Bum!

Which reminds of the book by John Gierach called 'Trout Bum'. Have you read it? Or any of his others? A great social commentary intertwined with Fly Fishing Stories.
Cutthroat: Thanks, but this guy had a lot of problems, and in fact was like a "fly-fishing Savant". I do think his love of fly-fishing saved him from going totally off the deep-end though.

No, I haven't read "Trout Bum", but thanks, and I'll keep it in mind.

Hate to admit it to a guy that has the "fly-fishing religeon", but I find myself every year fishing a little less than the year before. Partly due to being "hooked on playing tournament golf", and also the fact that I'm no longer escaping the city, to get to the very spot where I"m living
now. (Used to make "manic" 600 mile drive to get in a couple days of fishing.)

Anyway, it's all good, and if my last tournament scores are an indication of where my golf game is headed in the near future, I'll probably spend a lot more time with my "waders" and fly-rod in the years to come.