Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to Uncle Sugar, I got to spend a good 10 years traveling just about EVERYWHERE and saw lots and lots of stuff. Got to do a bunch of cool stuff too. Now? I'm very happy to mow my grass, pour a fresh beer afterwards and relax in a hammock in the comfort of my own yard. Best thing ever.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I expect to have a typical retirement: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons....

Seriously, I'm budgeting for six months a year of budgetish travelling because I love experiencing new places so much. But I'm glad that travelling is not everyone's thing as it would make everywhere more crowded.

I totally get that other people would love gardening or wood working or volunteering or going for coffee with friends to solve the problems of the world or the town as much as I love to travel. It's good that we're not all the same.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my parents retired they spent a couple years catching up on travel and seeing places they didn't get a chance to visit when they were working and supporting a family. But then they had grandkids and nothing they saw while travelling was as meaningful to them as spending time with the grandkids. They took care of the kids while my sister worked and since my Mom was a teacher she loved teaching them to read.

They'd spent a number of years working on their garden and each spring as the results came into bloom, they loved sitting on their patio enjoying the flowers.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of my life was spent moving around. I realize now what I missed out on by not having roots and close friendships. To travel for travels sake is a waste of time. If you are going away to do something such as a canoe trip, that is different. As for me, I am happy being with friends and doing different things together around home. I don't need to go a long distance to find happiness. I found it here and it is all around me since settling down.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I would guess every state has nearby fun stuff to do "just for the fun of it" without extensive travel. Last spring we did a zip line tour in Harper's Ferry, WV that was a lot of fun. I still remember the knot in my insides before jumping off the platform but once off it was fun.
I went to Harper's Ferry with some friends a couple days before my birthday back in 2012. Had a good time. I think my last time before that was as a kid in the early 80's. Didn't know they had a zip line there...that gives me an excuse to go back! Looks like a lot of fun.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The trend I see is retired people around me travel but keep their home base. I'm in Raleigh, so the COL is fairly moderate and weather isn't bad 9 months of the year (July, August, and January excepted).

There's something comforting about having a home to return to after a long trip. We have fun on vacation, but enjoy living in our house. I'm in the middle of planning 2 months in Mexico in June/July (partly to escape the heat!), and while I'm looking out over our lake in our back yard, I'm thinking about what I'll miss about home. Our blackberries and raspberries will probably fruit while we're away. The waterfowl and wildlife playing in the lake. Flowers and trees and nearby family and friends. Then I know we'll be back after a couple of months.

One day, once the kids are out of the house, we might sell up and hit the road permanently. However we might stick around, especially if grandkids make an appearance and they live nearby. I have a hard enough time planning 1-2 years out, so don't think it's worth anything more than idle daydreaming to figure out what life will look like 10-20 years out when my kids will be of grandkid-bearing age.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #27

I love to travel, but the more stressful my job has become, the less I want to do anything much in my off time. People keep asking if we have a big trip planned for June, when I retire. All I can think of is having the freedom to sleep late, read as late as I want, grocery shop during the week when it's quiet, having time to exercise, go to afternoon movies with my husband and catching up on de-cluttering. I don't want any trips, schedules, or places I have to be for a few months.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I love to travel, but the more stressful my job has become, the less I want to do anything much in my off time. People keep asking if we have a big trip planned for June, when I retire. All I can think of is having the freedom to sleep late, read as late as I want, grocery shop during the week when it's quiet, having time to exercise, go to afternoon movies with my husband and catching up on de-cluttering. I don't want any trips, schedules, or places I have to be for a few months.
You've echoed my sentiments entirely. I've been amazed at how many people have been asking me what's next for me. Even more amazed at the offers I'm getting to stay on or make contacts in one way or another. I want nothing to do with any of it.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire?

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!
I guess I'm a little confused by this post.

Some people like to travel, some don't.
Some people like to move houses periodically, some don't.

Personally, I enjoy travel, but I also enjoy being home in my house that is the one I grew up in. After a few weeks on the road it is very nice to sleep in your own bed - there is something comforting about the familiar.

I've budgeted for travel in my retirement, but do not plan to uproot myself permanently, unless I need to for financial plan B reasons. (Our paid for home is our back up LTC solution - cash it out, community spouse buys a low maintenance condo and uses the equity remaining to pay for nursing home care.) I like my home, my neighborhood, putzing around in the garden and doing fix-it jobs around the property.

So - typical day (meaning more frequently occuring) I walk the dog on the beach in the morning, and putz around the house for the rest of the day. Less typical day - I'm off on world adventures. Both have enjoyable aspects.

Everyone had different preferences...
Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #30

Quote:

For me personally I hope I do whatever my heart desires and not just keep doing what I have always done.
We're all different. My wife and I travel some, and have had some great experiences traveling, but we enjoy being at home, too. And just because you are home does not mean you can't learn new things and try new activities, etc.. I try to do/learn some new things every year, and most of those are done close to home. I still have my favorite activities (that I do every year) too, and that will probably never change. You have to do what makes you happy.......
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire
For some it can be defined in one word, "contentment"
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #32

Quote:

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!
Interesting observations. I've been RE'd for 10 months now, and while I've probably traveled more in those 10 months than I had in the past 10 years, I feel like I'm somewhat sitting still while dreaming of other things.

For example, today I spent a considerable amount of time researching Luhrs yachts, Jeeps, RV's, dirt bikes, golf carts, diesel pickups and trailers. Call it internet window shopping if you will, but the fact is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet is because FIRE affords so many possibilities that deciding which ones to take advantage of in the near future can give the illusion of not doing anything at all in the present.

And to be honest, the process of making those decisions can be just as fulfilling as the net result of the decision itself. So why rush it?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I thought of a quote as I was reading your post:

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Interesting observations. I've been RE'd for 10 months now, and while I've probably traveled more in those 10 months than I had in the past 10 years, I feel like I'm somewhat sitting still while dreaming of other things.

For example, today I spent a considerable amount of time researching Luhrs yachts, Jeeps, RV's, dirt bikes, golf carts, diesel pickups and trailers. Call it internet window shopping if you will, but the fact is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet is because FIRE affords so many possibilities that deciding which ones to take advantage of in the near future can give the illusion of not doing anything at all in the present.

And to be honest, the process of making those decisions can be just as fulfilling as the net result of the decision itself. So why rush it?
We have similar discussions nearing 2 years into ER, and it is fun to have the freedom to consider options. For now, we have narrowed to kayak fishing. RV or camper is still possible.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Each to their own.

I don't mind a couple short trips during our cold winters, but I'm happy where I am and don't have the desire for extensive travel. I get out in summer and enjoy the weather, and in winter the bands that I'm in ramp up rehearsals and play gigs.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Most of my life was spent moving around. I realize now what I missed out on by not having roots and close friendships.

Lots of truth to that. For those who spent a lifetime traveling (usually for work) the desire to NOT travel and risk missing the (grandkids/kids/spouse) is enough to keep folks close to home.

I've spent the last 25 years as a global nomad. Both biz and personal travel. World wide. I enjoy it but at a certain stage in life (age 45 vs age 25) the way I used to enjoy traveling gets harder to do or more expensive. Net net it's become a little less enjoyable. ( eg. Now it's more likely to need the amenities of a Marriott versus those of a youth hostel)

Personally I have a theory that in general people just become risk averse as they age. What used to be leisure travel can suddenly become challenging with onset of age related health problems (insurance cover). Sticking closer to home where one has support and known "help" tends to grow in popularity as we age.

I do pity the folks who are in their 70s and just starting their dream travel-trips.... Bad hip. Arthritis and aches and pains. Better to do some traveling along the way vs being on the edge of too old to enjoy it.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #37

A network of friends in one's current location should not be underestimated -- especially if one is single. I have had friends leave town never to fully develop a social network similar to what they left.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #38

Retired ~4 years, been in same house for 19 now. We've discussed moving, but no place really draws us enough to even look around. We're up the road from Fuego in Greensboro; low cost of living, reasonable seasons, and close enough to beaches and mountains.

As for travel, we aren't constrained by funds but frankly it isn't as attractive as we once thought. Probably having two kids living overseas with grandchildren has taken some of the fun out of it. Fortunately one, with 4 of the 5 GC is returning to states to DC area; a 5 hour drive is a whole lot better than 9-12 hours in planes and airports. Even if I-95 is the route. They've moved a LOT but say this is it for them, they want to have a permanent home. DW doesn't believe it, and I'm skeptical. Even if I was convinced I'd have a hard time moving to the DC area even as much as I love my DD and GC. We live in a 2800 SF house on a lake now with just about zero traffic issues (and that is BIG for me); can't imagine replacing it near DC.

This house is 2 story, but now have an addition that could become a nice master suite. I'd guess we'll be here until something really attracts us away. It's all a matter of what makes you happy.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Personally, I enjoy travel, but I also enjoy being home in my house that is the one I grew up in. After a few weeks on the road it is very nice to sleep in your own bed - there is something comforting about the familiar.
That's about how I feel. I love traveling from time to time, but once it's said and done, there's no place like home.

I went to a couple of open houses this past Sunday, both within 10-12 miles of where I live, but in a different county. Found a lot to like, but a lot to dislike with each one. And, for all the problems with my current place, when I came back home, I found myself grateful for what I already have.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

For us, 25+ years of good health, doing what we wanted to do, and when we wanted to do it.
We love our lives, and couldn't possibly ask for more. Would be hard pressed to define "typical".

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote