Typical Day Post Retire

The trend I see is retired people around me travel but keep their home base. I'm in Raleigh, so the COL is fairly moderate and weather isn't bad 9 months of the year (July, August, and January excepted).

There's something comforting about having a home to return to after a long trip. We have fun on vacation, but enjoy living in our house. I'm in the middle of planning 2 months in Mexico in June/July (partly to escape the heat!), and while I'm looking out over our lake in our back yard, I'm thinking about what I'll miss about home. Our blackberries and raspberries will probably fruit while we're away. The waterfowl and wildlife playing in the lake. Flowers and trees and nearby family and friends. Then I know we'll be back after a couple of months.

One day, once the kids are out of the house, we might sell up and hit the road permanently. However we might stick around, especially if grandkids make an appearance and they live nearby. I have a hard enough time planning 1-2 years out, so don't think it's worth anything more than idle daydreaming to figure out what life will look like 10-20 years out when my kids will be of grandkid-bearing age.

I love to travel, but the more stressful my job has become, the less I want to do anything much in my off time. People keep asking if we have a big trip planned for June, when I retire. All I can think of is having the freedom to sleep late, read as late as I want, grocery shop during the week when it's quiet, having time to exercise, go to afternoon movies with my husband and catching up on de-cluttering. I don't want any trips, schedules, or places I have to be for a few months.

I love to travel, but the more stressful my job has become, the less I want to do anything much in my off time. People keep asking if we have a big trip planned for June, when I retire. All I can think of is having the freedom to sleep late, read as late as I want, grocery shop during the week when it's quiet, having time to exercise, go to afternoon movies with my husband and catching up on de-cluttering. I don't want any trips, schedules, or places I have to be for a few months.

You've echoed my sentiments entirely. I've been amazed at how many people have been asking me what's next for me. Even more amazed at the offers I'm getting to stay on or make contacts in one way or another. I want nothing to do with any of it.

I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire?

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!

I guess I'm a little confused by this post.

Some people like to travel, some don't.
Some people like to move houses periodically, some don't.

Personally, I enjoy travel, but I also enjoy being home in my house that is the one I grew up in. After a few weeks on the road it is very nice to sleep in your own bed - there is something comforting about the familiar.

I've budgeted for travel in my retirement, but do not plan to uproot myself permanently, unless I need to for financial plan B reasons. (Our paid for home is our back up LTC solution - cash it out, community spouse buys a low maintenance condo and uses the equity remaining to pay for nursing home care.) I like my home, my neighborhood, putzing around in the garden and doing fix-it jobs around the property.

So - typical day (meaning more frequently occuring) I walk the dog on the beach in the morning, and putz around the house for the rest of the day. Less typical day - I'm off on world adventures. Both have enjoyable aspects.

Everyone had different preferences...

For me personally I hope I do whatever my heart desires and not just keep doing what I have always done.

We're all different. My wife and I travel some, and have had some great experiences traveling, but we enjoy being at home, too. And just because you are home does not mean you can't learn new things and try new activities, etc.. I try to do/learn some new things every year, and most of those are done close to home. I still have my favorite activities (that I do every year) too, and that will probably never change. You have to do what makes you happy.......

I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire

For some it can be defined in one word, "contentment" :)

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!

Interesting observations. I've been RE'd for 10 months now, and while I've probably traveled more in those 10 months than I had in the past 10 years, I feel like I'm somewhat sitting still while dreaming of other things.

For example, today I spent a considerable amount of time researching Luhrs yachts, Jeeps, RV's, dirt bikes, golf carts, diesel pickups and trailers. Call it internet window shopping if you will, but the fact is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet is because FIRE affords so many possibilities that deciding which ones to take advantage of in the near future can give the illusion of not doing anything at all in the present.

And to be honest, the process of making those decisions can be just as fulfilling as the net result of the decision itself. So why rush it?

I thought of a quote as I was reading your post:

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Mahatma Gandhi

Interesting observations. I've been RE'd for 10 months now, and while I've probably traveled more in those 10 months than I had in the past 10 years, I feel like I'm somewhat sitting still while dreaming of other things.

For example, today I spent a considerable amount of time researching Luhrs yachts, Jeeps, RV's, dirt bikes, golf carts, diesel pickups and trailers. Call it internet window shopping if you will, but the fact is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet is because FIRE affords so many possibilities that deciding which ones to take advantage of in the near future can give the illusion of not doing anything at all in the present.

And to be honest, the process of making those decisions can be just as fulfilling as the net result of the decision itself. So why rush it?

We have similar discussions nearing 2 years into ER, and it is fun to have the freedom to consider options. For now, we have narrowed to kayak fishing. RV or camper is still possible.

Each to their own.

I don't mind a couple short trips during our cold winters, but I'm happy where I am and don't have the desire for extensive travel. I get out in summer and enjoy the weather, and in winter the bands that I'm in ramp up rehearsals and play gigs.

Most of my life was spent moving around. I realize now what I missed out on by not having roots and close friendships.

Lots of truth to that. For those who spent a lifetime traveling (usually for work) the desire to NOT travel and risk missing the (grandkids/kids/spouse) is enough to keep folks close to home.

I've spent the last 25 years as a global nomad. Both biz and personal travel. World wide. I enjoy it but at a certain stage in life (age 45 vs age 25) the way I used to enjoy traveling gets harder to do or more expensive. Net net it's become a little less enjoyable. ( eg. Now it's more likely to need the amenities of a Marriott versus those of a youth hostel)

Personally I have a theory that in general people just become risk averse as they age. What used to be leisure travel can suddenly become challenging with onset of age related health problems (insurance cover). Sticking closer to home where one has support and known "help" tends to grow in popularity as we age.

I do pity the folks who are in their 70s and just starting their dream travel-trips.... Bad hip. Arthritis and aches and pains. Better to do some traveling along the way vs being on the edge of too old to enjoy it.

A network of friends in one's current location should not be underestimated -- especially if one is single. I have had friends leave town never to fully develop a social network similar to what they left.

-gauss

Retired ~4 years, been in same house for 19 now. We've discussed moving, but no place really draws us enough to even look around. We're up the road from Fuego in Greensboro; low cost of living, reasonable seasons, and close enough to beaches and mountains.

As for travel, we aren't constrained by funds but frankly it isn't as attractive as we once thought. Probably having two kids living overseas with grandchildren has taken some of the fun out of it. Fortunately one, with 4 of the 5 GC is returning to states to DC area; a 5 hour drive is a whole lot better than 9-12 hours in planes and airports. Even if I-95 is the route. They've moved a LOT but say this is it for them, they want to have a permanent home. DW doesn't believe it, and I'm skeptical. Even if I was convinced I'd have a hard time moving to the DC area even as much as I love my DD and GC. We live in a 2800 SF house on a lake now with just about zero traffic issues (and that is BIG for me); can't imagine replacing it near DC.

This house is 2 story, but now have an addition that could become a nice master suite. I'd guess we'll be here until something really attracts us away. It's all a matter of what makes you happy.

Personally, I enjoy travel, but I also enjoy being home in my house that is the one I grew up in. After a few weeks on the road it is very nice to sleep in your own bed - there is something comforting about the familiar.

That's about how I feel. I love traveling from time to time, but once it's said and done, there's no place like home.

I went to a couple of open houses this past Sunday, both within 10-12 miles of where I live, but in a different county. Found a lot to like, but a lot to dislike with each one. And, for all the problems with my current place, when I came back home, I found myself grateful for what I already have.

For us, 25+ years of good health, doing what we wanted to do, and when we wanted to do it.
We love our lives, and couldn't possibly ask for more. Would be hard pressed to define "typical". :LOL:

:dance::dance::dance:

One factor not really mentioned here in the discussion is that many of the FIRE members here on the board are introverts. They are happy to be at home and do things locally. Significant external activity is not required.

In my case, I have moved around the country for work. Moving sucks, and avoidance of that is worth staying put. I do think one final move to a retirement location is in my future, still considering where that will be.

Although still working approx OMY for me, I look forward to taking more trips in my motorhome, being able to work on my old cars int he garage, and having mroe time to do house projects and yard work. I may be in minority, but I enjoy being out in the yard, mowing lawn or working in yard and garden. I will never pay someone to mow my yard, as long as I am able to.

I can understand and empathize with those that desire to stay put. I pretty much lived in an airplane for 15+ years when I was wo*king and that traumatized me for life. I have been a lot of places and done a lot of things but when I step back and assess the many events and adventures I find that lifes simple pleasures are what I enjoy and appreciate the most.

This is truly a great group of folks, thank you for sharing your perspective. Truth be told I have lived in the same general area for the last 48 years and am somewhat of a homebody.

I have a great family and lifelong friends. I like doing things like going for a bicycle ride or just staying home playing board games. I like either being by myself or with people I know. I would rather blend in then be the center of attention.

I do not want to travel just to travel. I would like to go experience other parts of the world for periods of time like 6 months to a year at a time. I have never had the time for this so our exploration has all been in North America.

When I am retired I will have both time and money so I should in theory be able to live 'in the most ideal location in all the world' right? But in the end there will probably be no place like home (where family and friends are).

Only 2 months into FIRE, but my typical days are morning coffee with an English muffin and a bowl of fruit while surfing my favorite forums and checking up on email.

I'll throw out some bird seed and watch the backyard menagerie for a bit before starting on morning chores.

Then I'll use google maps to pick a spot I've never been to that is within say 1 hr drive.

As an avid hiker/explorer, I now have the luxury of time to just...go.

The possibilities of local exploration are limitless and I've already been to so many places I've always wanted to check out, but unable to because of w*rk/time demands.

Haven't been disappointed yet! And I get the 'travel bug' out of my system at a fraction of the cost (or none at all).

Toss in an impulse stop at bistro, coffee shop, or snack shack where I'm exploring and feel like I've just 'splurged'.

By later afternoon I'm back home with time still to relax before supper.

Last edited:
We tend to stay close to home in the summer since our great summers in Vermont are our dividend for putting up with winter. We have a place on the water and it is very hard to get me to travel to somewhere when so many other people are coming here for their summer vacation. In the summer we play a lot of golf, pontoon rides a couple times a week, home improvement projects and local day trips here and there.

In fact, just the other day I was just commiserating with a friend who retired recently who also lives on the water and we are both interested in visiting Alaska but are loathe to leave Vermont in the summer which is prime time to see Alaska and much of the rest of the lower 48. Quite a dilemma, I must say.

In the winter we travel, in part to get away from the snow and cold. Last year it was California, Hawaii and Texas. This year, a leisurely drive to and from Florida with a month in Naples. I suspect at some point in the near future we will just become snowbirds.

For some it can be defined in one word, "contentment" :)

+1 The "normal everyday things" that many ERs are doing are exactly the things we didn't have enough time for when we were w*rking. Today I did some bathroom remodeling, and have been as content/happy as a clam, while getting a lot of satisfaction from the fruits of my labor. That rarely happened in the last few years when someone was giving me a paycheck.

I do split my time between two locations providing everything I need to enjoy my favorite outdoors activities, so I see no need to explore further. And I enjoy many artistic activities that require no travel at all.

[FONT=&quot]Been twice each to the north & south pole, pretty much all of the countries around the pacific rim, every US state, most US big cities, tourist traps, etc. As others have mentioned, “Uncle Sam” moved me around a lot. As entertainment, I’ve jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, did scuba, blah, blah. With the various injuries from active duty, my enthusiasm for traveling about has waned significantly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do want to get out of our current rental (the wife will not retire yet), into something we own, and spend time tinkering to make things better.[/FONT]

^ that's living the dream IMO - congrats!

Today I discovered that there is an extension open space to the Torrey Pines State Preserve that I never knew was there!

A wonderful space nestled in the surrounding slopes and crags with some great trails and overviews.

The weather was perfect - clear, some sun, a bit of breeze atop the bluffs with a serene view of the beach down below.

Spent about 2 hrs just exploring the area.

Absolutely delightful 'get away' for the morning.

I snapped some pics:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey-pines-extension/Torrey-Pines-Ext-1.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey-pines-extension/Torrey-Pines-Ext-2.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey-pines-extension/Torrey-Pines-Ext-3.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey-pines-extension/Torrey-Pines-Ext-4.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey-pines-extension/Torrey-Pines-Ext-5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom