Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We tend to stay close to home in the summer since our great summers in Vermont are our dividend for putting up with winter.

In the winter we travel, in part to get away from the snow and cold. I suspect at some point in the near future we will just become snowbirds.
Yep, we are the same way. We live in northern Michigan, and I love the summers here (and spring and fall can be very nice too), so it's hard to persuade me to travel too far from home during the good weather months. Winter is a different story.....I do not look forward to winter anymore, which is why we travel to the Gulf Coast for 2 months every winter. As the years go by, I'm starting to think that we should stay down south for at least 3, if not 4 months, as 2 months is not nearly long enough to escape all of the cold weather. But I can't see being gone for too long from about April thru October/November.......just too many enjoyable things to do around home during that time.

RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
I'll admit here - though I wouldn't admit to folks in town - I spent my first year in retirement resting and getting my life in some order. Now I'm 3 months into my 2nd year and I'm doing nothing. I sleep in, take the dog for a walk and plan meals. Im too broke at the moment to travel (which I love to do), now suffering from a neck problem that makes me way less mobile and so I know that I am falling into a lazy rut and possibly depression.

I have a huge list of things I want to do - have wanted to get back to writing - several unfinished books to write - back to walking 5 miles a day (ha! I can't even consider leaving my warm bed). Im finding that I procrastinate on everything that would make me happier.

Waiting for a townhouse that I am on waiting list for and feel like I am "waiting" to begin my life. Can't seem to shake this inertia.

LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
My typical day post retirement:
Some days, I read a book. Start in the morning, then stay in the recliner until the book is finished. If I stay up late, it doesn't matter, I can sleep late. For me, reading like that is a luxury--I didn't know that I could read a book, cover to cover, in one sitting, without interruption. Never happened during all of those work years.

Several days a month, I go backpacking to my wilderness trail segment where I volunteer to do the trail maintenance. Been doing that for eight years and it is getting stale. Retiree tip: Use a hammock for sleeping, much better than sleeping on the ground, but you do need extra down insulation to stay warm in it.

Other days, I do house chores or day hike. I enjoy cooking and I clean up after myself to keep her happy. As mentioned in another thread, we eat better at home than in restaurants. At home, we use less salt and less fat, and have healthier ingredients--for example, baby kale with the spinach, no lettuce.

Retiree's wife: What are you going to do today?
Retiree: Nothing.
RW: But that is what you did yesterday!
R: Yes, but I didn't finish.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm only 25 days into ER, so it's too early to tell what is/will be "typical". I am surprised at how quickly I fell into the habit of lingering over breakfast and coffee. While w*rking. I would eat breakfast at my desk in five minutes as my computer booted up. Drank my coffee as I answered emails or in a meeting. Now I'm sitting around with breakfast and coffee for an hour or so as I read this forum, play Words with Friends, and do the USA Today puzzles on my iPad.

I have been spending a lot of time with projects around the house, mostly related to cleaning up the deck and yard and getting ready for Spring.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks to my disability I have to take it really slow the first 8-10 hours of the day. So I make breakfast, read the news on my laptop and try to do simple things which don't demand a much of brain nor body.

Perhaps reading my emails and flagging important ones to be followed up later. Starting the washing machine I prepared the previous evening. Writing a shopping list. Having a nap. My mum live next door so we might have a chat. If I'm in my RV I might drive a short distance less than an hour.

Then in the evening when my body start working I get busy doing all the important things like making dinner, shopping a couple of days a week, online banking, washing and cleaning, visiting friends or tinkering with my budget and investment plan. Watching TV, reading or playing my guitar. Again if I'm in my RV this is when I drive a longer distance up to 4 hours if I have a driving day.

I record everything I like on TV and watch one episode each evening. And then I go online reading about my favourite topics - including this site - before going to bed.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
My typical day post retirement:

Retiree's wife: What are you going to do today?
Retiree: Nothing.
RW: But that is what you did yesterday!
R: Yes, but I didn't finish.

Never underestimate the value of doing nothing...

kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote