Join Early Retirement Today

Typical Day Post Retire
Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Typical Day Post Retire

I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire?

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

Personally, I move in less than 5 years, never to return.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
You have a poor imagination. How about a liking for where they are, and a positive desire to stay there?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

Exactly. I hate travelling and am never moving.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

I thought the same thing, but it's going to take a year to declutter my house. I once wanted to see the Galápagos Islands. But now I think the less tourists there the better.

Unless you're working at the ski resort Ski Patrol), a month in a ski resort would be both expensive and would eventually get boring. I have a friend whose ramped up his photography and train travel (his passions since he was a kid). My parents went to Hawaii several times, because Hawaii made them happy.

We have another friend whose goal is to see every county seat in the COUNTRY. He's actually finished most of the states. He and his late wife travelled to Europe many times over the previous 25 years, so he was done with overseas travel.

I'm not sure that taking care of one's home counts as doing nothing. Finally having time to do it right can be just as rewarding as exotic travel. And many can't afford such adventures.

We all have different bucket lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Unless you're working at the ski resort Ski Patrol), a month in a ski resort would be both expensive and would eventually get boring.
Not true - season passes at Bogus Basin are under $250 - those 70 and older ski free, and it's a really good hill 30 minutes from my house.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #7

Forgot about Bogus Basin. Went there in high school for a few days. Stayed at a lodge where you start skiing from the front door. Wasn't too expensive as I recall as I paid for it myself.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Moving around can cost a lot more than staying in one place that is paid for.

And as much as I would like to do those things my wife would not care to...especially exploring the North Pole ;p
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

We're not ones for a lot of travel either, we just don't have the interest in it. When I'm curious about some other place I just read about it and look at photos. While I realize this is not the most common view, I just don't see the need to go there.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Forgot about Bogus Basin. Went there in high school for a few days. Stayed at a lodge where you start skiing from the front door. Wasn't too expensive as I recall as I paid for it myself.
now you know where I live you know why I don't want to move (or travel)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting.. met with accountant this morning..first thing she asked was 'have you done much traveling?'. In our year+ of retirement, that has been the #1 question from friends, acquaintances and people we meet. We're not big on traveling. Certainly not cruise people, mainly head to a big city in our state to catch a concert or visit friends at their lake house for a couple of days. Never been bitten by the world travel bug.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We're not ones for a lot of travel either, we just don't have the interest in it. When I'm curious about some other place I just read about it and look at photos. While I realize this is not the most common view, I just don't see the need to go there.
There are things I consider worth traveling to, but museums are not on that list! You stand there and try to "get through" all the important stuff, reading stuff off of the walls. I don't have patience to read that stuff while I'm standing there. I could be sitting on my couch, reading a book on the subject. But, frankly, I'd probably not be interested enough in the topic to even read a book about it, so why am I standing here in the museum?

If I go somewhere, I want to go and DO something I can't do at home. That might be snorkeling in crystal clear warm waters, experiencing calving of a glacier, or driving a dune buggy in the desert, stuff like that.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If I go somewhere, I want to go and DO something I can't do at home. That might be snorkeling in crystal clear warm waters, experiencing calving of a glacier, or driving a dune buggy in the desert, stuff like that.
There is that of course! Often there is similar stuff closer to home - a racetrack that is not too far to go to is nearby and I'm close to surprising DW with a class there - Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Motorsports Park.

It it has to be presented as something not inferring that she is a bad driver. She isn't but there is always room for improvement - I'm pretty sure she's never been in an intentional skid, and she definitely doesn't like it when I do it. And to me it just looks like it would be fun but she's not as adventuresome as I am in that regard.

Also on my bucket list is flying an ultralight aircraft, basically a powered hang glider.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #14

I signed my daughter up for the Richard Petty safe driving class, with the skid pad, hard braking, etc. That's good stuff. I wanted to do it, but all I did was watch.
Quote:
Also on my bucket list is flying an ultralight aircraft, basically a powered hang glider.
That would be a great reason to travel. You get an RV with a "toy trailer". Then you go see the sights from a unique perspective....from a couple thousand feet of altitude. I'd say THAT would be doing something!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #15

I would guess every state has nearby fun stuff to do "just for the fun of it" without extensive travel. Last spring we did a zip line tour in Harper's Ferry, WV that was a lot of fun. I still remember the knot in my insides before jumping off the platform but once off it was fun.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How about a liking for where they are, and a positive desire to stay there?
+1

At my house, everything is the way I like it. My bed is soooo comfortable, the peace and quiet is unsurpassed anywhere, and refrigerator and cupboards already contain nutritious foods that I enjoy and can eat. There is a great gym nearby if I want to keep up with my weight-lifting. Here, there are enough of my favorite things to see and do, to fill at least three lifetimes.

A person who couldn't find anything fun or different to do in New Orleans would have to be a raving lunatic, IMO. 9.01 million visitors came to New Orleans in 2012 , and I would suppose more tourists than that in more recent years. I would imagine those tourists didn't feel that they had to explain why they were here to anybody. I don't either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, Im close to you Walt. I travel only to gamble, ski, or the beach occasionally. HD tv has killed my desires to ever travel to "see something".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #18

I apologize if I offended anyone with this topic. This was more a blurt on how I was feeling, not meant to criticize others. We are all different and obviously can live however we please.

For me personally I hope I do whatever my heart desires and not just keep doing what I have always done.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #19

My typical day since I retired involves a combination of yard work(summer), hiking, biking, boating/kayaking, exploring, photography, woodworking/ putzing in my workshop, surfing online, and napping. Pretty much the same as my free days before I retired, but now 24/7/365.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

Didn't seem offensive to me, but maybe because we always had the desire to move, travel, etc. To answer your question, I think family, friends, and the comfort factor of being at home keep most people in one spot. In some cases, I hear someone say they would travel/move, but spouse has no interest.