Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Uh oh---anxiety after one week of FIRED!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Tango

My guess is 90% of the people on this board would happily trade places with you financially.* Four million is a lot of money and others have done it on at least 5 – 10 times less.*

Maybe you should force yourself to take a month long vacation and do a few things you wouldn’t normally do.* *

Also, just because you live into your 90’s or beyond, doesn’t mean you’ll be spending or doing the same things you can enjoy now.* I don’t think you’ll be spending even half of 160K/year in your 80s and 90s, so at least enjoy it now while you have the opportunity.*

Lastly, and I mean this in a nice way, so please don’t take offense, but maybe seeking professional help for anxiety.* From what I understand anxiety disorders are pretty common, but can be treated.*
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Audrey, I know it seems ridiculous that we could eventually be paying $100,000 a year for health insurance premiums
and yet have minimal actual expenses and need for health care, but we are already paying $700 a month for insurance, just for DH---and he only sees an internist twice a year, a cardiologist twice a year, and takes meds that total about $300 a month. I don't know what our breaking point will be in terms of forgoing the insurance and completely self-insuring---possibly when the premiums hit 100K!

And surprisingly, long-term care is not something we worry about! My father did need assisted living for about a year,
but some policies don't even cover this. Maybe the thought of needing a facility is just too horrible to handle. Can torture ourselves with what-ifs and worse case scenarios, but somehow this seems like something we would never need or not need until we were in our nineties. We just laugh when we receive ads about LTC insurance and throw them away. We have State Farm insurance for homeowner's, umbrella, and cars. They offer health insurance but wouldn't cover DH. Yet they would be happy to sell us a LTC policy. That leads me to believe that LTC policies must be very lucrative for the insurance companies, whereas health insurance must not be. Obviously the
actuarial odds must look very good to insurers for LTC,
unlike health insurance. So we never directly think about LTC per se, but just want to make sure that our money doesn't run out (my parents lived to 89 and 93).

Aaron, you were very tactful about suggesting help for anxiety. Possibly it could have been helpful during my working years. But now, my only stressor is some concern about money, but not enough to prevent me from RE!
And I think I will get better about this as time goes on and with the help of you all. I'm able to handle the ups and downs of the market, even with 50% of our net worth in it.
(DH checks the market every day, but I could care less about daily fluctuations).
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to resist the temptation to jump on this poster and yell at the top of my voice GET OVER IT

However my nice side came to fore and I can see where someone can feel stress over medical coverage. Health coverage is a murky mire, full of what makes the grass grow and we ain't talk'n water here. I have relatives that spend a lot of time worried about their health care insurance costs. No amount of talking will calm their fears. There really isn't much that they can do now. They are on medicare and have an insurance policy they spend a lot of money on. However they won't go to the doctor anyway they wait until their annual physical, it just does not occur to them to use what they have.

I also had a former co-worker who has several million in assets and won't retire says he needs the health insurance coverag. BA-LONE-EEEEE, he needs some place to go everyday or his wife will throw his butt out the door. I like him like a brother and miss his wray smile but when he said that I raised may hand as high as I could and yelled "Save your watch to late for your shoes!"

Sigh, some folks have to have something to worry about, we pick our poison. With four million in assets and with an alleged modest life style go self insured and resolve to take care of your own problems. Also the money four million dollars is there for you to use not to sit on and admire, IMHO.

My goal is to live the life I want and to die broke.
The rest takes care of it's self.

Kitty

Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
With four million in assets and with an alleged modest life style go self insured and resolve to take care of your own problems.
I was with you all the way on this one, Kitty, until that statement. A fancy illness requiring state-of-the art treatment can eat up a million bucks in a year. And uninsured patients with assets pay more than insurance companies with volume contracts. Then there are nursing home and rehab bills, home oxygen or other care. One of the few contexts where a million bucks is not all that much money.

II'd say go with as high a deductible as you can (they can afford it) but probably wouldn't self insure on the health thing.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I was with you all the way on this one, Kitty, until that statement. A fancy illness requiring state-of-the art treatment can eat up a million bucks in a year. And uninsured patients with assets pay more than insurance companies with volume contracts. Then there are nursing home and rehab bills, home oxygen or other care. One of the few contexts where a million bucks is not all that much money.

II'd say go with as high a deductible as you can (they can afford it) but probably wouldn't self insure on the health thing.
Rich,

You probably know better than anyone else that paying for an illness is the least of your problems. It's dealing with an illness that has no treatment that is the real problem. I'd gladly let go of a 1/4 $Million to get rid of allergies.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have allergies or are you making an analogy? I had the worst allergies, truly diminished my quality of life, I would sneeze until my ribs hurt. Claritin comes on the scene and I've spent a decade without an attack or even a symptom. Big Pharma has plenty of warts, but some drugs are really worth their weight in gold.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
You probably know better than anyone else that paying for an illness is the least of your problems. It's dealing with an illness that has no treatment that is the real problem. I'd gladly let go of a 1/4 $Million to get rid of allergies.
Of course, no argument on that point.

You'll probably agree that dealing with an illness AND dealing with inability to pay for care is even worse, sometimes especially for the loved ones.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

24 x 7 x 365 with symptoms like seasickness (Or the Flu) that only good wine can alleviate. Hence the wine cellar. 8)
Hey, every alcoholic needs a good reason to drink...

Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No I have them, and Clariton is minor league stuff.* Sneezing would be a welcome symptom. I go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota (ever heard of it?) and let them tell me that there is nothing that they can do.

24 x 7 x 52* with symptoms like seasickness (Or the Flu) that only good wine can alleviate. Hence the wine cellar. 8)

When it comes to allergies, most doctors are clueless and most Allergists know how to hand out pills and the honest ones will tell you that modern medicine does not know how to treat the tough cases.
Dang, that sucks! Have you been able to identify what you are allergic to? My step-mom has severe allergies to dust mite droppings, runs an air filter in the bedroom 24-7, plastic cover on the mattress, no carpet in the house etc. She also carries some shot with her because cigarrette smoke can cause a severe attack. She's also allergic to wheat and a couple other foods. I remember when she was getting everything identified, she did the diet restriction thing, yadda yadda, took a couple years to get everything identified.

You've probably already gone down this road, and the Mayo clinic is the best (DW coordinated a study with them and her company), but what did they tell you about your inner ear? Your symptoms ring a bell about disfunctions there...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Dang, that sucks! Have you been able to identify what you are allergic to? My step-mom has severe allergies to dust mite droppings, runs an air filter in the bedroom 24-7, plastic cover on the mattress, no carpet in the house etc. She also carries some shot with her because cigarrette smoke can cause a severe attack. She's also allergic to wheat and a couple other foods. I remember when she was getting everything identified, she did the diet restriction thing, yadda yadda, took a couple years to get everything identified.

You've probably already gone down this road, and the Mayo clinic is the best (DW coordinated a study with them and her company), but what did they tell you about your inner ear? Your symptoms ring a bell about disfunctions there...
I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, molds, pollen, some foods - etc. No severe reactions (life threating) but it makes you ill and want to lay around - (One of the reasons for my early retirement) - I don't dwell on this though and have never mentioned it on this forum until now. I choose to ignore it and 'go for the gusto'

- The inner ear stuff is mostly because I have small, sensitive eustachian tubes. Tough for Scuba diving and prone to seasickness and swelling due to allergies. I don't have an inner ear disorder, but any reaction due to allergies affects this area for me.

Everyone has their own cross to bear.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No severe reactions (life threating) but it makes you ill and want to lay around - (One of the reasons for my early retirement)
I've had some recurring inner ear problems and agree it is a miserable experience. Like you, I ER'd because I want to lay around, but in my case it's just a side effect of being congenitally lazy.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cut-Throat,

Sorry that you have this daily struggle. When you go out West, does it get better?

Wahoo- There used to be a guy out here, a Greek American who was a retired seaman. He had 10 acres and some cattle. He got up at dawn every day and started working and didn't stop until evening. I got to know him because he ordered large shipments of olive oil from his relatives in Greece, and then sold it to neighbors. It was a really nice fragrant green oil.

Anyway, he was always trying to get me into the cattle thing, and I was always refusing saying it was too much work. He couldn't quite pronounce lazy, but he would point a finger at me and yell "Lessey! Lessey!

My wife also adopted this mode of address when she felt something needed to be done faster than I was getting around to doing it.

What can I say- I am lazy, at least when it comes to doing chores.

Ha
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, molds, pollen, some foods -* etc.* *No severe reactions (life threating) but it makes you ill and want to lay around - (One of the reasons for my early retirement) - I don't dwell on this though and have never mentioned it on this forum until now. I choose to ignore it and 'go for the gusto'
Do your symptoms improve with a change of location? If so, it'd be worth staying for a while to evaluate the cause...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #54

I can sympathize with allergy sufferers. I have from severe hay fever and strange excercise/food induced allergy that put me into the hospital a few times.

Moving always helps my hay fever. Unfortunately, after a few years in a new place the problem usually recur. Living on the east coast was the worst.

Clariton works great form my excercised induced issues but not for hay fever. For that, I use the inhalers but they take a few days to kick in. One that worked instantly would be a great breakthrough. Benedryl works great but puts me right to sleep.

I was tested again recently and almost every box on the test sheet was positive.

Would be great to see some breakthroughs in immunopharmacology -- especially for people with really bad autoimmune problems (lupus, ms)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #55

You know, I think most of us approaching retirement all have the same worries. "Do we have enough" Of course to most of us, we find it hard to imagine that someone with a 4 mil. bal. sheet still worries, but whose to say unless you are in those shoes. Probobly someone with one million thinks if I only had two mil., I wouldn't worry.

One consolation to my own worry, is that I tell myself, if worst case scenerio were to happen, I could at least pick myself up and move to Panama or Argentina, and probably live comfortably on half what I have, with very reasonable medical insurance. Lots are doing it, and with great satisfaction. So, there's always Plan 2.

I would not be so hard on the poster, unless jelousy is your real agrivation here. I'm sure there are people out there that have a Billion, and say to themselves, if only I had two!
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
Probobly someone with one million thinks if I only had two mil., I wouldn't worry.
Yup, I was mulling it over just the other night 8)
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #57

Thanks ModHatter! *I was wondering about all the hostility
about my posting. *It did cross my mind that it got be jealousy, but then I discounted it because I'm not used to people being jealous of me. *And truly there is nothing to be jealous about. *The 4 million only came after almost 30 years of hard work with a lot of stress but at a much lower salary than most/many of this board earn/earned, living way below our means, and learning about investing. *Possibly the younger people can be jealous because there were some gains in the stock market that we benefitted from and which may never be seen again!

And truly I would not be concerned about living on 4 million if it wasn't for those insurance premiums that can reach six figures before Medicare kicks in.

The people who have made rude remarks did not address their own situations. *They did not say whether they have a pension that they can count on for the rest of their lives, with a cost of living increase. *I suspect that many of the lucky people who fall under this category will receive far more than four million over their lifetimes if they live a long time---and without having to have saved it or worry about a major drop in their funds, like if the stock market goes down.

Having 4 million gave me the feeling that I could and should retire at 52. *That's a great feeling and position to be in. *
But total peace of mind? *Never worrying about money again? *That may not be possible for me. *I'm sure that some of the posters who have disdain for my worries feel that their concerns are justified----like when gas or electricity prices rise. *Yet their pensions/income/net worth would indicate that they CAN handle it, either outright or by adjusting something else. *So maybe it's all relative!

I thought this board was open to anyone, and was especially geared for people who are FIRE'd, which I acknowledge I am. *I didn't know that you aren't allowed to express any anxieties if your net worth is above a certain amount (rude posters, exactly what is that amount? *Over 2 million? 3 million?). *I know I should be a big girl and just take it, but one reason why I opted out of the work world was to not have to deal with hostility and displaced anger!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #58

Tangomonster, I'm sorry there was hostility expressed towards you. We are all here to support one another's quirks and questions during the ER transition.

My view on why your post may have been treated harshly: there are so many people on this board that are working hard everyday to get the "the number" and that number is often much lower than your 4 million. They may see you stressing over issues about money and think that if you are worried at 4 million, how will they, with much less be able to make it. Its a bit disheartening to some.

Not to be cavalier about it, but most people don't need 4 million to live and have health insurance and even if your insurance did go up a lot if your costs of living are as low as you say, the numbers will work out. Re-read SG's post, he's right knowledge is power.

Your life is NOW, don't fritter it away worrying about what may or may not happen in the future.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep in mind that the word "millionaire" was synonymous with FI and even extravagance for a long long time. It's only recently that inflation (and, in part, rising expectations) have made $1,000,000 just another number, although, doubtless, a nice one
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald

Would $6 million give you piece of mind?
or $10 million.
No amount of money would give Tango peace of mind.* Proof that money does not make you happy.* There's always the need for more and more.* Should one not become contented at some point?

ADJ
ADJ is offline   Reply With Quote