Join Early Retirement Today

UN-Retired, Kinda sorta.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

UN-Retired, Kinda sorta.

With cold weather coming, the pool is closed and not long before I put the motorcycle away for the season I was looking around for something to do.
If left to my own devices I could just hibernate and never leave the house for the winter. So while wanting a little something like volunteering at the senior center I stumbled upon a substitute bus driver position that takes seniors from home to the senior centers and also delivers meals to homebound seniors. Since the wife works part time I figured why not. I wasn't looking for a paid position but this j*b pays, not a lot, but more than minimum wage. Just a few more shekels for the slush fund while doing something good for the community.
So I hope I don't get excommunicated by this fine ER community as I only un-retired a little bit. Hey thats not like being a little bit pregnant is it?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds perfect for you) 7 months after I retired I started to teach an online college course and love doing it. I don't ever intend to fully retire it has been so much fun. I have been doing it for 4 years.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Let's call it paid volunteering.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
With cold weather coming, the pool is closed and not long before I put the motorcycle away for the season I was looking around for something to do.
If left to my own devices I could just hibernate and never leave the house for the winter. So while wanting a little something like volunteering at the senior center I stumbled upon a substitute bus driver position that takes seniors from home to the senior centers and also delivers meals to homebound seniors. Since the wife works part time I figured why not. I wasn't looking for a paid position but this j*b pays, not a lot, but more than minimum wage. Just a few more shekels for the slush fund while doing something good for the community.
So I hope I don't get excommunicated by this fine ER community as I only un-retired a little bit. Hey thats not like being a little bit pregnant is it?
I consider you at least due for censure. I don't care if someone works, or makes money, or whatever. But if it requires getting out of bed at the same time more than a couple of times a week, that's over the line. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I consider you at least due for censure. I don't care if someone works, or makes money, or whatever. But if it requires getting out of bed at the same time more than a couple of times a week, that's over the line. Sorry.
Thats the good part as only being a sub will not require many back to back days unless one of the full timers are on vacation, there's a handful of subs so the work is rotated around.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Please report back and let us know how often you are called to sub.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not to worry, lot's of people doing hobby jobs eh?

Do you need a chauffeur license?

Have fun and if you're not say bye-bye -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
Please report back and let us know how often you are called to sub.
I'll let you know if I have to totally withdraw my application from RE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not to worry, lot's of people doing hobby jobs eh?

Do you need a chauffeur license?

Have fun and if you're not say bye-bye -
If there is an ounce of BS it will be bye-bye.
And yes you would need a class B with a passenger endorsement.
I have a class A with a passenger endorsement.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #9

Have fun with the new job, it's all in your attitude.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Let's call it paid volunteering.
That's exactly what I was thinking ! It sounds like it would be perfect for you. Enjoy !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Taking a j*b in retirement for fun (with the advantage of a few extra bucks) does not disqualify you from ER UNLESS it fills up you BS bucket faster than you can empty it.

My one foray into the "for pay" j*b after ER was driving cars for car dealers. We drove from the dealership to the auction and we repositioned cars in the area (25 to 150 miles). Sounded like fun at first. Turned out that driving to the auction was a real pain real quick. A bully lead the procession and insisted we all keep up (even though some of the cars were too tired.) Tail end Charlie position ended up trying to drive 80 to catch up, only to run up on the next to last car and slamming on the brakes. From the air, I'm guessing it looked like a snake who had just had lunch. It was like that for 50 miles or so. Repositioning cars was okay (much more independent) until some flunky salesman got upset that we took too long. For less than $7/hour, it was all too much BS and we quit within weeks. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #12

I'm working p/t in a bakery. Love it. I actually toyed with opening my own business but quickly figured out that was waaay to much work. Problem is I'm gaining a bunch of weight. Cookies,cakes and pies....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Cookies, cakes and pies....

Oh my...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
We'll still love ya'
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We'll still love ya'
Well, yes. But if he makes ONE post complaining about something at the job instead of quitting on the spot, then out on his ear he goes.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #16

I have 2 friends that have done the bus driver gig. They love it. For them it is full time, but only about 5 hours a day, with a split shift of course.

For me, no thanks, but what ever floats your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your part-time job and the extra money. I like having some low stress, hobby type extra income myself.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I considered becoming a bus driver here in Ocean City MD during the tourist season. Seemed like it might be fun cruising up and down the strip and hanging out with the kids. Then, just for the heck of it, I rode the bus with them, and had to bail after about a hundred blocks. Aargh! Inane jabber to the nth degree! In about 8 languages! That was a quick and cheap ($1) cure.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #19

I have a friend who does something like that. He drives a van that takes older people from a retirement community to medical appointments, grocery shopping, etc. (He's 70+, so "older people" is a relative term.) He enjoys the social aspect of chatting with his riders, getting out and about and making a little beer money. His wife doesn't mind getting him out of the house for a few hours several times a week either.