Join Early Retirement Today

Undiscovered retirement havens
Old 02-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Undiscovered retirement havens

A few weeks back there was a thread about "overhyped countries"....how about one about "under-hyped" countries?...it looks like it might happen next year that we'll be homeschooling all the kids (right now its 3/4), and therefore have the flexibility to travel more, especially in the winter (because thats when we like to travel...someplace warm).

Any recommendations on places that are relatively friendly to Americans, safe, and not yet discovered? Last ten years or so we've enjoyed the Bahamas....but thats starting to get busy and expensive...where else have you guys been?

Beautiful beaches a must.

In particular, besides travelling there for a visit, anyplace left to buy a nice retirement home on the beach that won't cost 7 figures?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Undiscovered retirement havens
Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go check out Vieques. Starting to get bid up, but you could still get a livable place for under $300k. Unbelievably gorgeous beaches, and most of the time you are the only one on them, at least Mon-Thur.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Go check out Vieques.* Starting to get bid up, but you could still get a livable place for under $300k.* Unbelievably gorgeous beaches, and most of the time you are the only one on them, at least Mon-Thur.
Isn't that a former Navy artillery range?

http://www.vieques-island.com/navy/navyfacts.html
http://www.vieques-island.com/navy/
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Yup, but the Navy finally left in 2003 ("Paz por Vieques") and 2/3 to 3/4 of the island is now national park land.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #5

Roatan, Bay Islands of Honduras.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Isn't that a former Navy artillery range?
Gosh, the government's assured us that they found all the unexploded ordnance!

If you go snorkeling or diving, don't pick up any souvenirs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Couple weeks ago I drove over an old military airstrip to go to the obviously military-named "Red Beach". Beautiful beach, fantastic snorkellling, no crowds, no vendors, no fees. No ordinance that I could find, either.

But, hey, if you guys want to stay off the island, that is fine with me. I like having an uncrowded, underdeveloped place to go in the Carribean. If we have a bad RE market crash, I will be shopping for a smallish house on Vieques and a condo in Taos.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
When you say the Bahamas, what islands do you mean?* - I think there are many islands that are quite remote in the Bahamas. I have been to Abaco a few times and it is not busy. Food is expensive, but you don't need heat or A/C.
Eleuthera is the island...not crowded per se, just starting to get built up with talk of lots of new big developments etc. The feature in the NYTimes this past week isn't gonna help....
Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Or touch the ground. Or touch the ocean bottom.

Area near here used to be an army test firing range. A huge chunk of it. After all, who the hell would ever want to live in the central valley? Hot, flat, prone to flooding?

A bazillion homes on the area now. People are constantly digging up live ammo.

I wish I still had the news story. Some salvage yard blew up down near Folsom a couple of years ago when some numbnuts put a torch to a live shell someone brought in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #10

Shouldn't there be a special password for this type of thread so that except for loyal forum members, the gems mentioned here (Vieques?) remain undiscovered.

The new encrypted password is **************.

MJ

Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
The new encrypted password is **************.
That was easy.... I just decrypted it from ROT13, and it comes out as follows:

(scroll down)

Old 02-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bulldog
Or touch the ground. Or touch the ocean bottom.

Area near here used to be an army test firing range. A huge chunk of it. After all, who the hell would ever want to live in the central valley? Hot, flat, prone to flooding?

A bazillion homes on the area now. People are constantly digging up live ammo.

I wish I still had the news story. Some salvage yard blew up down near Folsom a couple of years ago when some numbnuts put a torch to a live shell someone brought in.
Haha flood in the winter and fry in the summer. So true, but you forgot to mention that the Central Valley has some of the best paved roads for road biking. There are hardly any cars on these little back-country roads that may connect one or two houses. Frankly, I don't know why they were build in the first place, but I was glad that they were there. At least that's the way it was 10 years ago.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
How' bout keeping it to yourself.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Haha flood in the winter and fry in the summer. So true, but you forgot to mention that the Central Valley has some of the best paved roads for road biking. There are hardly any cars on these little back-country roads that may connect one or two houses. Frankly, I don't know why they were build in the first place, but I was glad that they were there. At least that's the way it was 10 years ago.
Its about the same now, except 20% of the orchards are small mcmansion and regular new stucco homes on postage stamp lots. Great place to bike ride if you dont like hills.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #15

We sailed and spent quite some time in the Spanish Virgins, Vieques, Culebra (Dewey has a great Dinghy Dock Bar and Grill). I personally prefer Culebra. Both are very small and unless you like solitude and unexploded bombs, I would think twice. Paradise is relative. I would agree that they are most beautiful though. We visited and stayed at virtually island in the Virgins and the Caribbean and honestly I prefer a place with more activity. Just my opinion. Wherever you go out there will be overun by tourists sooner or later, if not already. The best option is to live on your boat.

SWR
Old 02-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood

(scroll down)
Heck, I did that in my head... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I did it in my head using ROT14!