Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My unexpected expenses this year are all related to my Mother who is doing poorly . So several trips to Pa. flights,rental cars , hotels , etc. are using up a chunk of money . Luckily I have it to spend and I am retired so able to travel at the drop of a hat .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
My plan is this (if and when I retire) - the first year, I budget for 'vacation expenses' and we normally take vacations around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now if from January to October, some "really big emergency expenses" appears, we could forgo the year-end vacation if the emergency expenses are too large. In addition to vacation budget, I do allocate for home repairs and expenses. I had to replace a water heater this year ($1,500) and a defective air heater circuit ($700) - this is the most I've spent so far in a year. Last year, we replaced a Washer and got one from Lowes at a discount for less than $500. Two years ago, I spent $300 on a defective built-in microwave (and they had to change some parts and put a surge protector). I think i'm going to budget $1,500 for home repairs each year. If we don't don't have any big emergency expenses, we roll over that money for 'vacation expenses' for next year.

Most of my emergency expenses will most likely come from home repairs. We don't have kids. My Mom is taken cared of - with her savings and social security. Dad passed away 30 years ago.

No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have always taken good care of my teeth but have always had significant dental bills. This runs in my family. 4 years ago I get a CPAP machine and start having major dental issues. So I am advised to coat my teeth with a special substance before bed, etc. Within 4 years all my teeth came loose and were rotted. It turns out that the machine causes about 50% of people that don't have great teeth to lose all their teeth. So implants on bottom and denture on top to the tune of 32K. Another 40k if I want the top done too. Of course they do not tell you of this possibility when you are prescribed a machine.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado
My biggest was a bill for our upcoming Alaska cruise that we BOTH forgot about. Signed up for it quite a while back ( while still working) and completely forgot big deal but it was a fairly bog unexpected check.....
aggie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bought a 30 K auto last year, but it was not an unexpected cost, however since I paid cash it caused me to be a little short of funds for a few months.

My unexpected expense is family:
Sibling cannot meet all the expenses needed, so I chip in about $2,500 -> $4,000 per year.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote