Join Early Retirement Today

Unique Communities?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Unique Communities?

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in learning about potential unique living communities. I don't really want to limit your responses, but i'm currently thinking of mountain living.

For example, I just came across a community in Winter Park, Colorado where the HOA fees include access to a "club' at the resort base. If you are a skier, that would be a good thing.

This just got me thinking that there must be quite a number of neighborhoods with "extras." Anyone know any good ones?

thanks
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Florida is ground central for unique communities. Ones for golfers, pilots, horseback riders, even retired post office workers. Word is the postal workers community doesnt allow dogs!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We briefly looked into co-operative living communities. On one side are condominiums and the other (which we visited in Chicago area), was like a college dormitory. There was a placein Asheville that we read about where you have your own house but share things like cars and responsibilities.

While not a"community", our DD/SIL suggested we share a house with them. We worked out financial and living arrangements. 3 years later, it has proven to be a great decision.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find so called "intentional communities" interesting. The idea invokes nostalgia for my early twenties. The concept of close nit community, with activities, restaurants, et al is appealing but most 55+ communities are full of very conservative residents. Doesn't fit my profile at all. And golf as a lynch pin doesn't work either. Unfortunately progressive intentional communities sound way too intense - about as much fun as a prison sentence. Gonna stay at home and hope my neighborhood "village" movement stays intact into my twilight years.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Mine would end up with three people and a cat.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

I can understand communities that are based around a central theme, like skiing, golf, airplanes, etc. Could be a good way to facilitate your interests in that theme.

I could never live in a dorm or anywhere without my own space and outside area. I can't stand apts for example, even condos aren't my thing. However, some people like this type high density housing and that is what makes the world go around. Related to this, I dislike any big city downtown living. Might be fun for a visit, but get me out of there back to my own property and single family house.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My BIL is near Fort Myers lives in a private airplane community. All(most) the homes are required to have an garage/hanger to accommodate a plane. They taxi down the streets to the runway(WW2 airforce). The stop signs are real low!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend my summers in my motorhome at what (at least to me) is a unique community. It is called Linville Land Harbor and is located in Linville, North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains, about 30 minutes south of Boone, NC and about a mile form the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is at about 4000 foot elevation and has cool summer temperatures (today in the high 70s when most of North Carolina is roasting in the high 90s).

What is unique is that it started out as a campground where you owned your own lot. As time went by, many people got rid of their campers and built small cabins and cottages. Now there is about 1500 lots and I would guess less than a fourth still have campers and the rest small houses. I am at a camping lot where my motorhome is that is surrounded by small cabins/cottages. Somehow it all works and looks nice, pretty unique.

The neighborhood has its own golf course, heated pool, very nice tennis courts, activities center with many activities and a lake and river (the Linville River) that is stocked with trout for fly fishing.

Most people here winter somewhere else (I spend the winter in Chapel Hill, NC) but probably about 10 percent of the homes are occupied year round.

We love it here.

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like prison.

Or the Army (13 yrs was enough for me).

I would think live-in theme parks would get boring after a while.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
I spend my summers in my motorhome at what (at least to me) is a unique community. It is called Linville Land Harbor and is located in Linville, North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains, about 30 minutes south of Boone, NC and about a mile form the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is at about 4000 foot elevation and has cool summer temperatures (today in the high 70s when most of North Carolina is roasting in the high 90s).
My sister spends Summers at Elk River in Banner-Elk, NC. It's an equestrian community with a Jack Nicklas golf course and a 4600 foot landing strip. The town also has the two highest ski resorts on the East Coast with Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain.

Most owners keep houses in Florida and commute seasonally. Many working fathers fly in on Fridays, as can be seen in a line of King Airs lining the runway. Western North Carolina has so many things to do, and the university town of Boone is a really nice place.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I find so called "intentional communities" interesting. The idea invokes nostalgia for my early twenties. The concept of close nit community, with activities, restaurants, et al is appealing but most 55+ communities are full of very conservative residents. Doesn't fit my profile at all. And golf as a lynch pin doesn't work either. Unfortunately progressive intentional communities sound way too intense - about as much fun as a prison sentence. Gonna stay at home and hope my neighborhood "village" movement stays intact into my twilight years.
Sheesh... Don... I agree with you almost all the time, but have to differ on this one. Our 55+ park in FL has about the most exciting and non-conservative group of players that we've ever met up with. Don't wanna say wild, but maybe the word "Buzz" describes the activity and interest level. No golf course, but a marina, pool, and bocce, shuffle, and horseshoe courts, billiard room, card rooms, dance floor and parties, cookouts and dances, like you wouldn't believe. Exercise, tai chi, water exercise, line dancing, lectures, painting, computer classes, library and reading groups, crafts, and a dozen other regular activities... all the time. that's just in the park. Other groups for travel, study, golf, tennis, pickleball, bowling and a twice a week Convertible tour group outside the park. The motorcycle touring group is temporarily suspended. All of this in a Park with 350 homes.

It's still there... but you're right about slowing down... During my last visit back in January, it was fun to see it all still happening. We began to run out of steam at age 74, and are content to watch , listen and remember.

The communities are there... but ya have to go and see what is going on. Not what's available, or what the realtor guides you through. For every senior community like ours, there are five that are mostly passive. Even The Villages has high's and lows...

On site homework is the most important part of the retirement community decision.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Sign me up, that sounds perfect!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #14

Lifelong friend of ours (my ex-high school boyfriend)--his mother grew up in a utopian town.

Village of Arden, Delaware — A Single-Tax Utopian Community, Founded 1900
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just want a contemplative life in roomy, luxurious surroundings, with my own private garden, all the maintenance and other nonsense taken care of, and without having to subsidize other people's pickleball and bowling. Is that too much to ask?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #16

http://ecovillageithaca.org/live/
EcoVillages in Ithaca. I've heard nice things but haven't check it out personally.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Florida is ground central for unique communities. Ones for golfers, pilots, horseback riders, even retired post office workers. Word is the postal workers community doesnt allow dogs!
And nobody works on Sunday, plus they are all finished for the day at 4pm.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Interesting subject. I know interest-centered communities are becoming the rage for retirement. But I would think it difficult to find a "community" with the same interest-focus and amenities as an individual or couple would want. Sure, you might find a place where you fit in or could use many of the included features. But you would most likely end up paying for things you don't use. That would bother me.

It bothers me that our very amenity-challenged HOA has a pool. While the pool is open 365, it's too cold to swim in for me and only 10% of residents use it. Still, it costs us all a couple of dollars a day to keep it clean and functioning. If I could talk the other residents into it, I would have it bulldozed. When I've even broached the subject at an HOA meeting you would have thought I left a Baby Ruth in the pool.

I guess the challenge would be to find the right mix of activities and amenities that you are willing to PAY for. If you can do that, maybe it's a bargain. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We have lived in Gated communities in SoCAL and FLA for 25 years and for all their faults we much prefer them to regular open street living.

Main reasons we like them are ones that other folks detest.

a) There are no sofas and trucks (on axle stands) in the front yards.
b) The house next door cannot be painted Purple with Yellow Spots
c) The grounds are manicured throughout the whole development
d) No Pot holes in the roads
e) All homes have a good curb appeal

Putting up with the demi gods on the board/HOA is a minor inconvenience. It also gives the nosey busybodies in the communities a place to congregate and commiserate with each other, so I do not have to talk to them.

Having a well rated private golf course on the property helps too as members (of which I am NOT one) tend to be affluent and demand a nice surroundings.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
True mountain living, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't involve living in gated communities. I've been living in mountain towns for decades, and the real communities aren't insulated. I love the eclectic blend of working folks, millionaires, (a couple of) billionaires, athletes & tourists. It's authentic.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote