Join Early Retirement Today

Unique things to do in rehirement
Old 07-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unique things to do in rehirement

When I rehire, I'd like to spend a few years satisfying my curiosity and do some truly unique experiental things. I've worked in a 50-55 hour/week corporate finance job for 15 years, and I have about 6-7 more years before I can FIRE. I will have plenty of money to do these things...wife and I save 28% of gross and have been doing this for quite sometime (I started saving $20/month for retirement when I was 18 ).

Call it a "bucket list" if you like....but here are some. What others can you add?
  1. Drive a Zamboni machine at least once
  2. See the great wall of China
  3. Drive a Ferrarri...one of the more expensive ones...I'm a car enthusiast and have a 700 HP car in my garage today.
  4. Visit one of the major stock markets on a day it's operating and watch through a window (or if I could get on the floor, that would be great also)
  5. Go to the Tonight Show
  6. See some interesting things in this country Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions (the Hoh rainforest in Washington has been called by some the most tranquil place in the country)
  7. Attend a pro football game in every stadium in the US. We've already done about 6 cities...so I'm about 25% there!
  8. Visit a few interesting manufacturing plants and tour them (would love to see how they make potato chips and smell them, and a computer chip facility may be neat too)
  9. Ride an elephant
  10. See a glacier
  11. Hold some type of exotic/unusual animal, like a penguin or meerkat or something
  12. Shake hands with someone over 100 years old
  13. Tour one of the US Mints
  14. Ride in a bi-plane wearing goggles like the Red Baron
I should note that I've already done quite a few such things (skydiving, hot air balloon, white water rafting, been in a Spanish palace, toured the Warwick castle built in about 1000 AD, toured the Boeing plant in Seattle, sat in a $1M car (Ford Cobra AC car), saw the Red Rock at Sedona, repaired 100 bicycles for poor children, was a Big Brother for 6 years, traded emails during my MBA with Robert Altman - who devised the famous Z-score as a bankruptcy prediction model, etc.)

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave

I hope you get a chance to enjoy these things. I've done a lot of interesting things, that I could only do as a sr mgr in megacorp, along with the 60-70 hour workweeks. I have slowed down a bit on the working time as I began to realize just how unhealthy the stress was, and the toll that the mental stress was placing on my body. Now, I feel as though I am ready for some of the simpler things in life, like a leisurely breakfast on the porch in the spring with DW....or visits to places like the Hoh rainforest, anywhere tranquil. I don't need 700hp cars, elephants, or flights on private jets anymore. I've been to the largest estate in the UK not owned by the royals, I have slept in a castle built in the 1300s, ridden with billionaires in their private jets, and seen some of the finest racehorses in the UK. But, most of these things I did while my DW was home raising the kids, and while these things were interesting, nothing compares with sharing nice things with those you care for. So, I'm ready to downshift, get away from the glitter and glamour of the billionaires, and be satisfied with a ride in the country, hand in hand with my DW. I need nothing more, but I hope that whatever you do is of great value to you.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

great list Dave!

I share many of the things on your list - but I have no desire to visit the Tonight Show. I really don't need fast cars anymore now that I'm over my mid-life crisis. I've also done the skydiving, Sedona, and Ford Cobra. I'd like to(in no particular order):

1. finish my travel of all states and see all interesting places
2. rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon
3. bike across the country
4. climb a few fourteeners
5. Great wall of China
6. The pyramids
7. A long train ride
8. Ride in a jet fighter
9. Tour on an aircraft carrier
10. I too am a Zamboni lover
11. Go to games at a bunch of NFL and MLB stadiums
12. Visit all national parks