Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Up in Chiang Mai...
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have contact with a 'foreign correspondent' located in the U.S. His name is Dee_Kay. He has this to report:
Quote:
Here's today's sticker shock story. Last night I went by myself to a locally popular Thai restaurant which is not far from my house. I ordered grapow moo, which never costs more than 90 baht even in the fanciest restaurants in Thailand, and will be more like 30 baht in most places in Chiang Mai. The price here in Dallas....$12.95. Add tax and tip and we're over $15. No Beer Chang on the menu so I had a Singha.....$4.50. I told the Thai server I could eat 10 meals in Chiang Mai for what I paid for one here.

She says "I know. Here everything expensive." She recommended I try another restaurant where the Thai locals go, gave me the name and address. So I'm gonna check it out.
It's a jungle out there in the suburbs.. be careful!*

Akaisha
Author The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Looks like someone's been eminently responsible for his own entertainment!

Pace yourself, man.* Or die tryin'...
It's a quiet life.... but somone has to do it.
Toooo many party animals around me. Call me crazy but I prefer some nice freshing fruit juices over Chang beer anytime. I joined Billy and Akaisha for one of their happy hours and enjoy a Leo beer with them. They were just as refreshing if not more than the beer.

MJ

Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent post, Lancelot!

Enjoyable and informative.

Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
As the curtain whipped past my nose, I awoke to the clickity-clack of the train chugging north...* Like the man said, "I'm on the road again"

I booked #51 train, lower bunk sleeper for $12.65 to to Chiang Mai, about a 14 hour journey from Bangkok. I decided to try the no air con car, relying on the ceiling fans and open window for cooling comfort. Not bad, especially when the engineer opened the throttle w i d e.

I bought two bottles of Chang and cooled them with my field expedient "ice chest"; a plastic bag and a layer of newspaper, then another plastic bag and another layer of paper. I poured myself a beer and settled in for the journey.

Lance out.*
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent post, Lancelot!

Enjoyable and informative.

Petey

Quote:
As the curtain whipped past my nose, I awoke to the clickity-clack of the train chugging north...* Like the man said, "I'm on the road again"

I booked #51 train, lower bunk sleeper for $12.65 to to Chiang Mai, about a 14 hour journey from Bangkok. I decided to try the no air con car, relying on the ceiling fans and open window for cooling comfort. Not bad, especially when the engineer opened the throttle w i d e.

I bought two bottles of Chang and cooled them with my field expedient "ice chest"; a plastic bag and a layer of newspaper, then another plastic bag and another layer of paper. I poured myself a beer and settled in for the journey.

Lance out.*
Old 11-20-2005, 12:13 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Billy and Lancelot both post great stuff - it sure is nice to see.

Nice to see like-minded folks!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #26

xxx

Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Loved Chiang Mai in 2001, just before 9/11 fortunately. I was with my Air Force daughter, and we both got Thai massages for about $10 each. It was great. We went to a respectable establishment for one, and arranged with our 4 star (but cheap) hotel for the other. We didn't want to get involved with the Thai underworld.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:39 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

MJ and I caught up but only by phone in Bangkok as our travel plans were not alligned unfortunately!
Lancelot; taking of to the north without informing me? We could have had that FIRE get-together in the north - oh well, next time!
Cheers!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:16 AM   #29

Sorry that I missed you Ben! Were you in Chiang Mai too?

Last night I had dinner with MJ. He is leaving Thailand soon.

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:04 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I recall that train ride way way back in 1990. Haven't been back to Chiang Mai since then, although I've visited Thailand many times since. Pretty sure Chiang Mai has changed a lot in the intervening 15 years. On that trip, I went onwards towards the Burmese (Myanmar) border to a place called Mai Hon Son (sp?). Apparently they filmed the Mel Gibson flick "Air America" there a year or two before. But the place seem none the worse for that.

Quote:
Air Asia has a $35 (one way) flight to Hanoi. Maybe another train journey from Hanoi to Saigon is on the horizon* * *
I did the trip from Saigon (Ho Chi Mihn City) to Saigon in 1992. I really enjoyed that trip, lovely country and really lovely and kind people. Superb food too and scarily cheap.

One nice journey for those less inclined to get too far off the beaten track is to go from Singapore to Bangkok overland. I did that one in 1994. Took me a month with plenty of stop-offs and leisurely wanderings. Good times. *

Cheers,

Honkie

Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

From Saigon to Saigon!? You are certainly a daredevil!* Ok; presume you means Saigon-Hanoi...

I love Vietnam too, and have lived there 3 months - but Thailand, especially due to the people, wins first price.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
I recall that train ride way way back in 1990. Haven't been back to Chiang Mai since then, although I've visited Thailand many times since. Pretty sure Chiang Mai has changed a lot in the intervening 15 years. On that trip, I went onwards towards the Burmese (Myanmar) border to a place called Mai Hon Son (sp?). Apparently they filmed the Mel Gibson flick "Air America" there a year or two before. But the place seem none the worse for that.

I did the trip from Saigon (Ho Chi Mihn City) to Saigon in 1992. I really enjoyed that trip, lovely country and really lovely and kind people. Superb food too and scarily cheap.

One nice journey for those less inclined to get too far off the beaten track is to go from Singapore to Bangkok overland. I did that one in 1994. Took me a month with plenty of stop-offs and leisurely wanderings. Good times. *

Cheers,

Honkie

Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanksalot, Lancelot...for the great trip report. Since I'm still considering a trip to Thailand myself, I love hearing from "them that's doin.'

Have you considered doing some travel writing?

Also looking forward to hearing more reports from the other intrepid travelers out there (..Ben, Billy and Akaisha, MJ + others?)........

Thanks,
-m
Old 11-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
Have you considered doing some travel writing?
Promise to buy my book?

LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
From Saigon to Saigon!? You are certainly a daredevil!* Ok; presume you means Saigon-Hanoi...

I love Vietnam too, and have lived there 3 months - but Thailand, especially due to the people, wins first price.

Cheers!
Yup, typo!! Meant Saigon to Hanoi !!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Promise to buy my book?

..being the SKINFLINT that I am, I'll get my library to buy it!

ha!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #36

Ben said:
Quote:
MJ and I caught up but only by phone in Bangkok as our travel plans were not alligned unfortunately!
Lancelot; taking of to the north without informing me?* *We could have had that FIRE get-together in the north - oh well, next time!* Cheers
Well guys, we'll have to do it sometime! Always up for a good happy hour.. It's the time we sit back after a hard day here in Cmai, and compare notes.*

Even though today is Thanksgiving, we are celebrating tomorrow. We will go to the Empress Hotel buffet -- all you can eat, in either Japanese food, Thai, Western, Italian, -- roasts, soups, salads, desserts, coffee... all for 139 Baht* ($3.50 US).* You remember, right Lance?*
It's a tuff life!* heh heh* *8)* Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 11-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And I spent 40 bucks last nite on incidentals to go with the turkey.... which we gotta cook!

I am envious.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Even though today is Thanksgiving, we are celebrating tomorrow. We will go to the Empress Hotel buffet -- all you can eat, in either Japanese food, Thai, Western, Italian, -- roasts, soups, salads, desserts, coffee... all for 139 Baht* ($3.50 US).* You remember, right Lance?*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
You bet I remember: DELICIOUS!!!

Lance

Old 11-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Lance, could you translate that avatar graphic for us? Thanks!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Lance, could you translate that avatar graphic for us?* Thanks!
Sure, no problem. "Farang rak Thai" (Farang -caucasian- loves Thai)

It is a play on "Thai rak Thai" (Thai loves Thai) the current majority party in power in Thailand...

Lance