Re: Up in Chiang Mai...
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Sure, no problem.
Excellent. Appreciate it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is the "W" for whitey (farang)?

Old 11-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Is the "W" for whitey (farang)?
The "W" is actually the Thai letter "for fa" and is the first letter of "Farang" which is generally attributed to 'Farang set" or French. The French of course had a very large presence in SE Asia.

Now "farang" is attributed to most european/americans.

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #44

Lance,

Is knowing French helpful in SE Asia? Maybe more in Cambodia? Or is english the predominant western language (other than the native tongue)?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I didn't find very much French speaking in either Vietnam or Cambodia, although most of the people we interacted with were closer to our age (late 20s, early 30s) so maybe it's an older thing. A lot of the menus in Cambodia are in both French and English though and there are plenty of bars/restaurants in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap that are French owned and have their share of French expats hanging about.

In Vietnam (especially Saigon) people love to practice English and talk talk talk talkety talk. One thing that I really enjoyed in Vietnam was hanging out at their equivelant of a pub, which means an open garage with lawn chairs lined up in it, drinking beer and shooting the proverbial shyt. They never tire man: You like Vietnam? How old are you? You have a big house? How many babies you have? Where you go next? My sister lives in Hoi An, you go there yet? Want take a picture together you remember me? I have email address what's yours? Your city near Los Angeles? How far from Los Angeles? You been Los Angeles? If I go America I go Los Angeles. How many cars you have? You make lots money?

One thing to remember in SE Asia with street vendors: don't say "maybe later" because it means every time they see you (even if you've left town for two weeks and returned) they'll call you on it. We had street kids in Cambodia patiently sit outside a bar beyond beating reach of the owners for three hours until we came out to ding you on the "maybe later" for that cheapo Khmer Rouge genocide book.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Lance,Is knowing French helpful in SE Asia?* Maybe more in Cambodia?* Or is english the predominant western language (other than the native tongue)?
Especially for younger people, english is pretty much the language used for travelers to communicate in SE asia. It's interesting to hear mainland Chinese speaking english to Thais-but they seem to get their points across.

Lance

Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 AM   #47

Some photos of T-Room Guest house, that $7.50/night rat hole I camped out in while I was in Chiang Mai...

Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lancelot,
Thanks for those photos. This really gives an idea of what life looks like in the retireearly-lifestye. The traditional photos of tourist areas do not give an idea of what normal everyday activities are like.

Do you have other photos of where you normally eat, shop and read a book?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Some photos of T-Room Guest house, that $7.50/night rat hole I camped out in while I was in Chiang Mai...

Wish I had taken some photos of my room.
I stayed at the fairly new Gap's House 2 where I had a huge clean room with fan (didn't need it) , king size comfortable bed, daily room service included replacing 2 thick bath towels and 2 hand cloths and lots of soap. The price of $6.50US (260b) included a new bicycle (a bit small for me) and breakfast (2 eggs, toast, coffee/tea, fruit)

MJ
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #50

Those photos are great, Lance! wish I knew how to load photos... (could be dangerous!)

Lots of new Guest Houses here and for good prices, as both you and MJ have noted.* Great price and very good service.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventure's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 12-07-2005, 04:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Those photos are great, Lance! wish I knew how to load photos... (could be dangerous!)
Bring on those photos Akaisha!

Yes, many good deals abound in Chiang Mai.

Lance

Old 12-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm new to the site...great pix

Do you have a budget for a very comfortable lifestyle in Thailand? What does it include?

Do you live near the coast?

Do the Thais try to tax your income,even if it is from offshore, if you are a resident? E. G., like a US pension, IRA distributions, dividends, interest, etc.* *Don't even know if your American/Australian? Citizenship?

I enjoy physical fitness, water sports and golf...any of that inexpensive around where you are at?

Where would you suggest going first if someone was to go to Thailand to check out an "early retirement lifestyle?"* (I'm a divorced guy, young and healthy in mid 50s thinking of going from part time to ER next year.)

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Lancelot,
Thanks for those photos.* *This really gives an idea of what life looks like in the retireearly-lifestye.* The traditional photos of tourist areas do not give an idea of what normal everyday activities are like.

Do you have other photos of where you normally eat, shop and read a book?
Dex, I really don't take that many photos and don't have the ones you've requested. The places I eat are basic Thai style local neighborhood restaurants-nothing flashy but delicious food! I read at the little "sala", a covered patio in the tropical garden by my building's pool.

All the best,

Lance

Old 12-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lancelot,
I know it may sound strange but it is the normal occurances that give me an idea of what an experience in Thailand would be like (I was there in 1985). That is what I liked about your room photograph - you can picture yourself there. So for me I would like to see a photograph of:
grocery store
local restaraunt
local bar
local bookstore
etc.
Thanks for sharing
Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieRed
I'm new to the site...great pix

Do you have a budget for a very comfortable lifestyle in Thailand? What does it include?

Do you live near the coast?

Do the Thais try to tax your income,even if it is from offshore, if you are a resident? E. G.,* like a US pension, IRA distributions, dividends, interest, etc.* *Don't even know if your American/Australian? Citizenship?

I enjoy physical fitness, water sports and golf...any of that inexpensive around where you are at?

Where would you suggest going first if someone was to go to Thailand to check out an "early retirement lifestyle?"* (I'm a divorced guy, young and healthy in mid 50s thinking of going from part time to ER next year.)

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the board JR!

My budget is $1,100 / US per month and includes everything (tax, travel, all living expenses)

I do not pay Thai income tax. Everyone pays the 7% VAT (sales) tax on most purchases.

I am a US citizen and; therefore, I pay US Income Taxes on my dividends, interest and capital gains.

I don't golf, but people who do say the golfing is terrific here - 365 days per year.

Check out this site for comprehensive Thailand living *www.stickmanbangkok.com

Most 50 year old guys like Thailand *

Lance

Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #56

I am really enjoying the photos and links! Thanks, and keep 'em coming!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #57

Lance,
Great job with the pics!

But thanks to YOU they are now full! Some things are better kept quiet...

Billy
Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

My budget is $1,100 / US per month and includes everything (tax, travel, all living expenses)

Lancelot:

Thanks for the budget numbers. I'm curious about the breakdown. For ex., how much of that is rent (and where is you home base)? Does it include trips home? For me, if I were to fly home more than once/year, it would dig into my budget ($1000 to 1200/flight).

Also, anything NOT to like about retiring/living there (I'm a fifty-year-old single male)? Or any other comments... really appreciated!

-m

Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #59

Lance and Kaderli's:

I'm curious about how you are dealing with airfare too. Bargain shop? A good travel agent somewhere? Frequent flier miles? Round-the-world tickets? Depends on the flight? I'm guessing a few regular "discount" tickets can add up quickly on a budget of ~$12,000/person, which seems to be what you all are running at.

I'm talking intercontinental international - SE Asia to Australia/NZ to S America to USA (or wherever you fly) - not the local Thailand to Vietnam kind of flights.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #60

Justin,
Just about all of what you mention. It's inportant to remenber this is a lifestyle, NOT a two week vacation. So, if you pay 1000 for a ticket, plan on staying months to spread out the costs. Right now, Air Asia has a deal BKK-Hanoi for 39 US or something like that. Very tempting. Lance knows more about this one, but my point is that there's always deals. When we fly from the US to Asia our FF miles add up to just about a free domestic trip, so we use everything...

Billy