Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Up in Chiang Mai...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So it sounds like if you're spending $1000 on a plane ticket once or twice a year for those transatlantic/transpacific flights? I know the local tickets (like BKK-Hanoi) cost only a small fraction of the US to Thailand RT tickets.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

From JR:

>>>Do you have a budget for a very comfortable lifestyle in Thailand? What does it include?<<<

For an idea of living costs in one of the lowest cost areas of Thailand, you may want to take a look at this comprehensive list , from Udon Thani, located in Isaan (Northeast Thailand).

http://www.udonmap.com/costs_of_living.html

Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #63

"Thai massage 1hr 120"

I guess that is in baht in Udon Thani. In the US, it's about the same, except in US dollars

I guess you can live pretty good on $1000 in Thailand, especially the smaller outlying cities outside Bangkok.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Justin wrote:

>>>"Thai massage 1hr 120"

I guess that is in baht in Udon Thani.<<<

Yes, about the equivalent of just under $6 U.S. for a two hour massage.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
We pulled into Chiang Mai at noon, and de-trained to the mass of tuk tuk/songtaew drivers waiting to Air
Well, I'm certainly coming in on this thread late. When exactly were you in Chiang Mai? We were there from Nov. 26th till the 30th. Had a wonderful time. Took Air Asia from BKK and then took the train back slowly stopping at Sukkotai (by way of Philanstok) and Ayuthya. Sukkotai was AMAZING!

Old 12-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I'm talking intercontinental international - SE Asia to Australia/NZ to S America to USA (or wherever you fly) - not the local Thailand to Vietnam kind of flights.
Check out Evaair. We flew from LAX to BKK for $700 including all taxes (except for BKK's $12.50 departure tax). Cheapest that I could fly with another airline was over $900. It wasn't a great flying experience though, LAX to Taipei was on an older 747 with poor airconditioning and cramped seats, but Taipei to BKK was on a newer 777 which was much nicer.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #67

On Billy's recommendation, I took EvaAir to Thailand from NJ for $840. It was a carefree flight. They offer unlimited drinks, slippers and nice eye masks.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #68

I looked at airline tickets to BKK from Raleigh-Durham Int'l - after taxes and fees it'll be $900-$1000. I found this package deal for 14 days in Thailand w/ airfare, transfer, all hotels (in nice places) and many meals for about $1100-$1200 incl. taxes, fees, etc (that's departing from NY or LAX I think - I'd have to get there on an el cheapo domestic plane ticket). http://www.friendlyplanet.com/thailand.html if anyone is interested - might make for a good, relatively cheap intro to Thailand. Nice too for the working stiffs on here who can't take off more than 2 wks at a time (my family falls in that category now ).

I did see some good deals from RDU to other places in Asia - $700 or so .
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #69

Lance just returned from the beach...

I arrived in Thailand almost three years ago on a one way ticket, US to Bangkok. About $640. Last December I had to make the emergency trip back to the US (father criticaly ill), paid almost $1,250 US RT. My parents live in rural NC, so the final leg of the journey significantly increases the price.

October 2004 I paid about $300 US RT Bangkok to Shanghai. My best bargain was a Bangkok - Chiang Mai trip on Air Asia for $13.50.

When I book a ticket, I just start calling travel agents advertizing in the Bangkok Post. I make my best deal and the firm's motorcycle courier delivers the ticket and collects the payment, pretty much hassle free

I think I'll check out te Philippines next

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
Thanks for the budget numbers. I'm curious about the breakdown. For ex., how much of that is rent (and where is you home base)? Does it include trips home? For me, if I were to fly home more than once/year, it would dig into my budget ($1000 to 1200/flight).
12 month ending expense- Dec 12 2004 to December 11 2005

Capital Purchases $135 Cell phone, coffee pot
Dining 947
Groceries 644
Medical 546
Recreation 3,302 Nights out, some short trips to the beach, wtc
Rent 3,073
Tax 150 Quarterly US Income tax payments @ $50/ qtr.
Telephone/Internet 255
Transportation 299 Taxi, subway, skytrain, bus
Travel 2,155 Includes emergency trip to US
Misc 994 Everything else

Total $12,500

Like Billy said, the way to cut down on travel expense is to average out those expensive flights by staying longer at your destination.

Quote:
Also, anything NOT to like about retiring/living there (I'm a fifty-year-old single male)? Or any other comments... really appreciated!
Sure, there are problems everywhere. Bangkok is crowded and polluted, then there are the language and cultural differences.

When I get frustrated, I take a deep breath and think "It is what it is..."

Works for me

Lance

Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Lance:

I appreciate the (further) breakdown on the budget. But I didn't see an entry for ..."bar fines." (ha ha). But seriously, my budget would probably look very similar to yours, if I ever get off my duff and get over there.

Also looking forward to a report from the Philippines. There was a discussion on Lonely planet Thorn Tree forum on comparing Thailand, Phillippines and Malaysia that might be worth a look. (search on member name "xix.")

Thanks again..
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
...My parents live in rural NC, so the final leg of the journey significantly increases the price...
Just curious, what part of rural NC?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

I wanted to take another trip to Thailand and the air fare is about the same price as a Grand Circle 3 week trip, which included air-fare, flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, lodging and two to three meals a day.

I thought about taking the same tour and just using the cheap air, food and lodging and doing my own thing and skip all the Buddha's.

I love that place!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #74

Spike,

Can you post a link for more details about that Grand Circle trip? I googled them, and all I saw was $1500 and up for 16+ days (at www.gct.com). I have the same idea as you do about using the "all expenses paid tour" for the plane tickets, meals and lodging and then striking out on my own. I believe the friendly planet tour I mentioned above would allow for this kind of "do it yourself" trip - most of the side trips are optional and cost extra anyway.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Just curious, what part of rural NC?
Hi Justin, about 30 miles from Elkin, in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Lance

Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Well, I'm certainly coming in on this thread late.* When exactly were you in Chiang Mai?* We were there from Nov. 26th till the 30th.* Had a wonderful time.* Took Air Asia from BKK and then took the train back slowly stopping at Sukkotai (by way of Philanstok) and Ayuthya.* Sukkotai was AMAZING!

Tell me more about Sukkotai!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #77

Quote:
Lance:

I appreciate the (further) breakdown on the budget. But I didn't see an entry for ..."bar fines." (ha ha). But seriously, my budget would probably look very similar to yours, if I ever get off my duff and get over there.

Thanks again..
I think at 50+, Lancelot's a bit old to be getting into bar fights on a regular basis. I don't think that he needs to bail himself out of jail that often.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the phrase "bar fines" has more to do with lovin' than fightin'....if you get my drift

-pb
Old 12-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #79

Yup, "Bar Fines" are about loving and not fighting

Lance

Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was "bar finds"... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote