Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi runchman,

Your story sounds familiar. My wife died in an accident at 48. My kids were about to start their first and second year of college, so I didn't have them there with me. I had run some of the life insurance calculators before my daughter started college to make sure my wife was set up for their college financially if I died. What the calculators told me was that we needed more insurance on my wife! I upped her insurance and it turned out to help get my kids through college, although in my plan I was the one who the family needed to be able to get along without. You just don't know how it is going to work out.

You are doing a much better job than I through the first year and a half. Congratulations and good luck in your retirement.

Hermit
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
gone traveling

runchman, Some how I missed your OP, but wanted to congratulate you on having such a good year, very inspirational. Best wishes to you and your children for another good year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

So glad that your advance planning has allowed you to be there for your children when they need you most. And thank you for reiterating the importance of life insurance. My husband and I have been discussing a lot regarding if one of us dies prematurely, what we would like the other to do. 2013 brought a loss of one of DH's cousins, who was 30, and a colleague who was less than 40 years old and had 3 young children. Their deaths reminded me of my own mortality and the fact that you never really know how long your life will be. This past year we increased our life insurance to insure that the surviving spouse would be able to retire permanently and discussed what each of us wishes for our girls. Your girls are definitely lucky to have a father like you.
darly2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks runchman for the inspiration... very sorry for your family's loss.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote