Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hey Steve - i may be hallucinating (again) but think i remember when your avatar lost a screw and gained an ER - sounds like busy and good times.
I think the avatar gained a few pounds, too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I think the avatar gained a few pounds, too.

Well, losing the screw left quite a hole. These are the heavy loads we carry. Once ER began the hole was filled with many new things that eventually over-flowed the original hole left by the screw. These new things are not burdens and they have much less weight so while I may be bigger I am not heavier...lighter by far now that the heavy burdens are gone.

Actually I have lost a few pounds in ER. I don't stress eat anymore and my diet is much better. I have time to cook things that are actually health. I tend to do more physically so that also keeps the weight down a bit.

The funny thing about retirement is you have more time to do things but for some reason you are always too busy to get them all done as fast as you think you can do them. I think this is a retirement time warp phenomenon; more time to do things but because new things are added to the list there is less time to do the original things on your list so they keep moving to the bottom of the pile. Of course the fun stuff keeps floating to the top of the list so those items get attention first. But that is WHAT retirement is all about...doing the fun stuff first.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
But that is WHAT retirement is all about...doing the fun stuff first.
My philosophy too. Still playing golf but will eventually do some of those chores around the house. Good hearing from you again.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

It is like the old saying: "I had nothing to do today and I didn't get half of it done."
Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to hear things are going well for you, SteveR. Just the other day, for no particular reason, I was thinking back to that old avatar you used to have with that cartoon guy with the screw through his chest, and wondered what you were up to these days.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear that you are having a wonderful retirement! Thanks for the update.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Glad to hear things are going well for you, SteveR. Just the other day, for no particular reason, I was thinking back to that old avatar you used to have with that cartoon guy with the screw through his chest, and wondered what you were up to these days.

You mean this poor guy?
screwed-1.gif
Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #28

I especially liked the part about diving in Cozumel. Also one of my past life activities that would be great to start again. Any pics??
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
I especially liked the part about diving in Cozumel. Also one of my past life activities that would be great to start again. Any pics??
It was great. No pictures though...I don't have a decent camera for underwater use and the throwaways don't work so great at depth. We were way below 50ft most of the dives except at the end. Dive computers are great for longer deeper dives with less chance of "issues".

My wife actually wanted to spend time with me so I had to limit my dive time. Imagine that! She cannot dive so she is solo while swim with the fishes. It gets boring after some many days laying in the sun with her pool boy bringing her drinks all day. Can't imagine why she would want me around when she can do that all day. Oh well...gotta do what you gotta do to make Moma happy...cause if Moma ain't happy....nobody's happy.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Administrator

Steve, Thanks for the updates.

You paint a great picture of yourself in retirement.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh well...gotta do what you gotta do to make Moma happy...cause if Moma ain't happy....nobody's happy.
Thou speakest wisdom.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Plan your route so that you drive the Oregon coast southbound. That way when you stop to enjoy a viewpoint you won't have to cross traffic.
Was planning on doing it that way anyway, but never occurred to me to do it for that reason. Making mental note

Steve, you're retirement sounds great! We are looking forward to doing the RV thing ourselves once we kick the kids out of the house after high school. Glad you enjoy it. The boutique sounds like a bit of fun too. Always like to hear about people who are having the time of their lives in retirement.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote