Join Early Retirement Today

Re: First Looks at Our NUE VUE! (Saturn) - Photo
Old 03-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the update SWR. As far as Consumer Reports, sometimes they don't really considered the price - Sure, for ten grand more you'd get some improvements, but are they worth ten grand?

I'm still thinking about the RAV4 and waiting for the 6 cylinder to come out - but it sounds like I'll really pay for that in the reduced gas milage... Haven't ruled out the Vue yet!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is the acceleration like, does it lose power on hills, and is it 4 wheel all the time, or automatic as needed

Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #23

It is a Manual 5 speed 2.2L 4 Cyl. And No it does not loose power on hills. It is not 4 wheel only 2. It has 4 wheel ABS and Traction. My old 3L V6 Manual was terrible on hills, so I would notice.

Being European, (British) I am not afraid of a decent 4 cyl Twin Cam. They are pretty quick if designed properly and matched with the vehicle. You just have to make sure when you test drive it (Like the Tribute/Escape) that it is not a poor version and not right for the car. I would not recommend an automatic gearbox with the 4 cyl though.

I am a little biased, I like manual gearboxes. I think Automatics should be reserved for children, old ladies and over powered luxury cars. Not Sports cars though. Why would you buy a Porsche Twin Turbo 450 HP car and put an auto box in it. Pointless INHO. But I would not have a Mercedes S500 with manual shifter either, even if it was available. Maybe when I am 70 I will change my mind.

SWR
Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #24

Manual Transmission are fun and I like them too.

However, if you ever want to sell your little SUV just be aware that almost nobody will be interested. Lots of people these days have never driven a manual.

So drive it till it falls apart or take a big hit on resale.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #25

I do intend on keeping it till it falls apart. I had my last one for 18 years. My hopes are it will last as long as my last one. In reality I would not take that much of a hit on it as I did not pay that much for it in the first place. If I was buying it for resale that would be different. Again like my sports car analagy, the reverse is usually true.

SWR
Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I am a little biased, I like manual gearboxes. I think Automatics should be reserved for children, old ladies and over powered luxury cars.
I think automatic transmissions should also be offered free of charge to anyone stuck in traffic around the Washington, DC Beltway...

That's probably where car manufacturers bring their test cars from all over the world to test their clutch plates.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Manual sticks are a major annoyance in city driving, you just keep shifting up, then shifting down, and resale for sticks is tough.

Former TR6 Owner.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #28

I drive to Boston everyday and I have a stick shift, won't drive anything else, I don't even think about what I'm doing. Dh keeps bugging me to buy an automatic but I just can't bring myself to do it. Probably wouldn't be so reluctant if we still had one stick shift I could use when I felt the urge.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #29

My last two vehicles, (over 18 years) have been stick. I feel like I'm not really driving with an automatic, but I probably will go that way for the next one - I can never find the right gear in mountain driving and traffic jambs are a bear.

Plus it's easier to drink your coffee on the way to work in an automatic....Oh, wait - that shouldn't be a problem much longer!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #30

I like to drive a stick too. But not everyday. If I could change my weekend car to a manual I'd do it. But I got a screamin deal on the weekend car and the manual transmission cars were very rare and trouble prone for that model.

When I go look at cars there just aren't many manual transmissions around. Manuals are now pretty much only found in base version econo cars and some sports cars. The new lock-up torque converters on automatics took almost all of the gas milage penalty away from the automatics. If you sell the car with a manual in the first 10 years or so you'll have to discount the car more than the extra price of the automatic to be able to sell it.

It isn't like the 80's anymore when just about every manufacturer offered a stick and lots of people drove them. The times are changing.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I feel like I'm not really driving with an automatic
Gosh that's exactly how I feel, Dh rolls his eyes every time I say that but there's just something about it, like I'm more in command of the car. My other rational is give me a push or a small incline and unless it's out of gas or the motor is blown I can get it started. Drove a 69 Mustand for a year with a broken starter and had an El Camino I had to start with a screwdriver.

Humm I guess that's why I like the motorcycle, same shifting concept.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #32

I love the stick so much, I custom order cars with it to get a better appointed model. Otherwise as mentioned you just get a base car. With a little convincing they will order a Manual with trick options.

Depreciation is an issue for re-sale, not as much as people make out, but it is there. But if you trade it in, there is no difference. I have done it a few times.

SWR
Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
. . .I did read the consumer reports on the car this weekend also and they are not so good. So far I disagree with them.* I keep remembering and being pleased with the $17k OTD price tag! But time will tell.

SWR
When it comes to cars, I've never found consumer reports to be of much value to me. I think my driving requirements and attitudes about cars is different enough from the average consumer that their inputs seldom have much meaning to me. This is especially true when it comes to my off-road archaeology/camping/backpacking vehicle (Dodge RAM). But even my basic travel/transportation vehicle (VUE) sees far more long distance highway driving and far less around town driving than most. But the big difference between me and the average consumer is that I really don't see a car as a status thing at all. I am not impressed with shiny new cars. I have no interest in discussions of the latest status cars. I don't trade cars until the one I'm driving stops being reliable transportation and is not worth the cost of fixing.

Resale value discussions are meaningless to me. I buy a car, drive it to where I want to go, and maintain & repair it until there is no real value left in it. As far as I can tell, people who worry and discuss resale value are the ones that create it. If everyone agrees that some car has good resale value, then it does. People who trade cars often should do everything in their power to start rumors that their car has good resale value.

You don't sound like the typical auto consumer to me either, SWR. Enjoy your VUE.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
You don't sound like the typical auto consumer to me either, SWR. Enjoy your VUE.
You are perfectly correct for the daily driver (VUE) I do have a spft spot for good well engineered sports cars but that is another story and a different catagory all together. I agree with your observations and daily driver strategy.

I am however curious as to the reliability of your VUE. How old is it? And are you happy with it. So far I am extatic about how good this little SUV is. I still cannot believe the value for money. So long as it does not fall apart tomorrow afternoon or the next day that is.

Another member mentioned that they were looking at a RAV 4. After owning a car with an external spare wheel, (On the Liftgate) I would not touch one ever again. So that eliminated a few vehicles from my search right off the bat.

SWR
Old 03-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
My other rational is give me a push or a small incline and unless it's out of gas or the motor is blown I can get it started.
Might wanna check your owner's manual on that or do an operational test.

Our last two stick shifts ('90 Suzuki Swift & '97 Nissan Altima) have electrical interlocks in the clutch that prevent the car from being roll-started. You push the clutch in, the contact is energized and the car can be started, you roll the car, but as soon as you let out the clutch the electrical contact is killed and the engine just rolls over without firing.

Cost me a starter motor and a tow truck learning that on the Altima.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #36

Quote:
. . . I am however curious as to the reliability of your VUE. How old is it? And are you happy with it. So far I am extatic about how good this little SUV is. I still cannot believe the value for money. So long as it does not fall apart tomorrow afternoon or the next day that is.
I've had my VUE for 2.5 years and just over 70,000 miles. So far I put in gas and do regular oil changes. One set of new tires. DW had a low speed collision with a low post in a parking lot and we had to replace one of the front quarter-panels. That was expensive. I can't think of anything else I've had to take care of.

I have an automatic, AWD, 4 cyl. version. I test drove the 6 cyl. but it was a lot more money for marginally noticeable power increase and lower gas mileage. I prefer a stick for off-road driving, but don't miss it for getting around Phoenix. I'm not an aggressive driver. The 4 cyl. gets up the mountain without a problem and I don't need to accelerate from the red lights any faster than it can manage.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #37

Nords, I haven't had a problem yet starting my cars with a little push... maybe some of the luxury cars have that feature.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Might wanna check your owner's manual on that or do an operational test.

Our last two stick shifts ('90 Suzuki Swift & '97 Nissan Altima) have electrical interlocks in the clutch that prevent the car from being roll-started. You push the clutch in, the contact is energized and the car can be started, you roll the car, but as soon as you let out the clutch the electrical contact is killed and the engine just rolls over without firing.

Cost me a starter motor and a tow truck learning that on the Altima.
I just tried it today and she starts like a dream. No broken starter motor.

SWR

Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #39

One more Saturn thing that could be interpreted as annoying, but is probably good. I seem to get regular calls and mail asking whether I am satisfied or whether I have experienced any problems with the car. I made the mistake of telling them I had an annoying squeak from the driver's knee panel area in hot weather. Which I fixed myself by re-aligning the panel so it does not rub against it's neighboring dash panel. 2 screws and 10 minutes, no big deal. But I keep getting calls from them saying I should take it in for warranty service. They appear to be very concerned about quality which is good.

SWR
Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #40

Update on Our NUE VUE! (Saturn) - Photo

Well here is the latest update:

We have just completed 2700 miles. Yesterday we drove 430 odd miles averaging abour 60 miles per hour, not going over 65 for long periods. 90% highway with about a total of 1 - 1.5 hours or so stop and go.

We averaged a staggering 29 miles per gallon on regular fuel. I think that is great. The first service is due soon and I will put a full synthetic oil in the car.

No problems to date, everything working as designed. Not too shabby for just over $17k out the door.

SWR