Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Ha, we must have a java on Elliot Bay one day.
Sounds good. I'll pm my cell#

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Our country, Costa Rica, has become VERY expensive over the last decade. I'm glad we bought our home a long time ago when things used to be cheap.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
Our country, Costa Rica, has become VERY expensive over the last decade. I'm glad we bought our home a long time ago when things used to be cheap.
YOU again?

CR should have restricted Yankee immigration long ago. But then, so should the Amerinds.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
nun-where do you live now/planning on living in the UK that it would be cheaper? If we go back we are looking in the Otley (N Yorks) area near my wife's relatives(Harrogate)....not cheap compared to the Spokane area. Property taxes are higher as well. If we did go back I would consider dropping my health insurance, but considering I am only paying little over $300 a month for both of us now, not sure. One of my wife's son's has a big cyst on the back of his head. Nat Health won't take it off since it is "only" 3 cm....they will take it off when it gets to 5cm. Some of the things just don't make sense.....Nat Health did good things for me most of the time I was there....but if you needed something done (like a calf op I needed to let me ride my bike/walk)....you had to go private.

When we used to live in the UK we always had BUPA health insurance through my work for elective ops like you mention. You could consider this as an option?

Health Insurance: Private Medical Insurance | Bupa UK
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just moved to mexico three weeks ago so I don't really have enough experience for in depth comparisons but have noticed the following so far.

1. Rentals are much more affordable than the U.S. and you can get some very nice places for reasonable rates.

2. Food markets offer U.S. brands but at very high prices. Saw a Red Baron pizza in the store for approx $9 vs about $3 at home. Many local brands are just as good at much lower prices. You can eat out very inexpensively but have to watch the health factors as you make those choices as to where to eat. We can also have a gourmet meal here for two for $120 total that includes appetizers, main course, 4 cocktails, deserts, coffee and tip. Similar meal back home would have cost about $180-200.

3. Electricity here is very expensive along the coast where we live but drops off significantly as you go inland. We could save quite a bit if we would just go without AC but then the negative effects of constant salt air exposure and high humidity will offset a good deal of those savings through decreased longevity of items in the home.

4. Health insurance is very inexpensive but quality care is not as readily available. Normal health issues can be handled here quite well but when dealing with complicated matters like heart operations or cancer treatment we will probably go to Merida about three hours away.

5. Labor services are really cheap and easy to find good workers.