Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I are in Colorado for a few weeks with the grandkids. Agree that Durango/Silverton is one of the most impressive trips in the Colorado Rockies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I rode it in 1986 (Ouray to Durango) as part of a longer ride. I cannot recommend that area of the country highly enough as a vacation spot.
We have also been to Ouray. Ouray, a tiny town of less than 1 sq.mi. area, is said to be the inspiration of Ayn Rand's Galt's Gulch, where the heroes of "Atlas Shrugged" went to hide out.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #23

I noticed the First Class trip was $149. Stupid question: is this for round trip or one way?
They also have Presidential Class which, for a mere $10, seems to entitle you to a larger seating area.
Do you feel you chose the right fare, Rustic23? How did you choose what you did?
This sounds really interesting to me, as well as, the Canadian Rockies railroad trip from Toronto to Vancouver.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's RT.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #25

We were on the San Juan car. I think that was 'Deluxe' class. I think it was the best. You could go to the open car in front, yet we had well padded seats in a closed car. Windows opened and you could hang out and take pictures. It rained a little and at times it was cold enough to be glad you were inside. You also received a free mug which had unlimited refills on soft drinks, coffee, and hot chocolate in the concession car. Yea, we paid for it, but it is what I would choose if I did it again.

The ticked is round trip for about $100 if I remember, in fact if you want to take the bus back it is an extra $17 bucks, I think. You can book your ticket online and choose your car and seat. The Holiday Inn we stayed at was about 4 blocks from the station. Parking around the train station is $7 all day. There is also a Micky D's next to the train station for a quick breakfast prior to departure. In May they ran two trains a day 8:15 & 9:00. I understand later in the summer they run three.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Making me homesick. DW and I have a second home in St. George, Utah, and hang out (er, used to hang out) a lot in Zion, Bryce, and Arches NPs. We are right now living in Peru, in the High Central Andes, after FIRE. We'll return to Utah next April and spend a lot of wonderful time in Southwest Utah.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

What you can see of you get of the train at Needles and walk about 15 miles and 4000 feet up with no trail. We are at about 12,500 feet here. In the background in Monitor Peak.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If you pile on the clothes, and head for the top, you can get this. September and about 40 degrees at about 13,000 feet.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

On a lazy day, we ride to the top where permitted. This is my 14 yo old at Imogene pass between Telluride and Ouray. We rode over Black Bear pass to get there, which my son says he will never do again, all because of one minor 200 foot section of ledge.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #30

DH and I hiked both Bryce and Zion - our Xmas card picture was of us on Angel's Landing at Zion - and then in Bryce we hiked two days, three hikes all the way through the park - it looks very different as you walk through the park - total of about 35 km or so.

I grew up in the Southwest US, so those colors and geologic formations are normal to me - what was fascinating is that when we went to Iceland for Memorial Day this weekend, the geological formations were similar to those I saw in AZ/NM, only the ground was a different color (more reds in AZ/NM and quite a bit colder, wetter, windier).

Glad you enjoyed the trip - beautiful area of the USA.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You were at Zion, Bryce and Arches about 10 days after we were there. On our next trip, we plan to spend more time in Utah.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

This was my laptop background for awhile, taken on a ski trip to Durango a few years ago, from the lodge we stayed at north of town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DurangoTrain.JPG (326.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #33

LOL, everyone wants to go live/visit the US Rocky Mountain region. That is not surprising because you are an outdoor buff with any interest in cycling, hiking, camping, kayaking, or even motorcycling, the opportunities and like-minded people in that region isn't replicated anywhere else in the country with maybe the exception of Northern California. The only down side is that the culture can get kind of monolithic. After my first belt test, the TKD instructor who is from Philly wanted to take us out to a Korean BBQ only to realize that closest Korean BBQ is in Denver, so that's why it would be handy to have a) lots of free time, b) access to a private jet, or c) at the very least be close to DIA.