Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Managed Payout Funds
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Managed Payout Funds

DH and I are still about 4 yrs. away from retirement and still in the "figuring out" process of how we will access our funds or take distributions. So, I'm wondering if anyone out there is using a Vanguard Managed Payout Fund? If so....feedback?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not familiar with that name, but Vanguard does have a program that will payout from your funds according to the government's minimum required distribution table (72-T for early retirees and for those over 70.5, IIRC). I am pretty sure that you can specify payout from a specific fund (i.e., MMF).

I intend to use this service when the time comes.

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Dog, search on 'managed payout funds' in the Google search box near the top of the page and you'll find several threads discussing the product.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Administrator

CFB was interested in them and I believe bought them to some extent when they were first created. Then the recession of 2007-2008 happened, and I'm not sure how those funds did under that kind of pressure. I'd ask CFB but he isn't here...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw those funds recently while browsing around Vanguard:

http://personal.vanguard.com/us/what...nds-for-income

It looks like they do for you what a lot of people here probably already do: put your money into index funds in a proportion depending on your desired risk/growth level, but they'll cash out a steady amount every month (2.5 - 7.0% annual WR) and wire into your bank account. I guess it takes the work out of having to monitor and re-balance your portfolio.

My only concern would be their most conservative of the payout funds is still 70% stock/20 bond/10 other.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm considering recommending one of these for my Father. My mother, who was a banker, recently passed. My father is not good at managing money, and I'm afraid he will be broke within a few years if I don't set him up with something like an annuity that pays out a monthly distribution. However, my father refuses to consider an annuity because he wants to leave something behind for the grandkids (my nieces and nephew) when he passes (not likely soon in my opinion). He is 71 and still working, but his business does not generate any significant revenue; it's simply something he enjoys and keeps him busy.

Thanks to my mother, he has $400K to $500K in various IRAs and taxable accounts, and I do not want to be responsible for managing these funds. He receives approximately $1900 per month Social Security (after tax and Medicare deductions), and I estimate his monthly expenses are approximately $3500 to $4000. I was thinking of having him put $350K into one of the Vanguard Managed Payout funds. This would make the money less accessible to him and give him a monthly payout that would encourage him to live within his means.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on how to manage this situation. My biggest fear is that he will run through the money within five years, and living with me and my wife is not going to be an option.