Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Variant of OMY syndrome?? Update.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Variant of OMY syndrome?? Update.

Well, it's all good news for me. Gave my notice last week, last day to be March 1st. For those who might recall an earlier thread I started, my company already told me they want me to continue to do those monthly reports...and may want me to add a few more. This will be some 3 days' worth of mad money for me.
But, they also asked me to continue in some sort of consulting capacity, details to be worked out later. I told them sure, as long as it's no more than 2 days per week, and working from home. Unfortunately...they said yes. Only then did I realize "Hey wait a minute, I thought I was retiring!"

Since details won't be ironed out until next week, we'll see how (or if) this ultimately pans out. But it looks like a win-win for me either way. Heck, worse comes to worse I'll decide that consulting is not my thing and truly retire.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Congratulations (?)
Good news on turning in your notice.
And hopefully good news on the part time work. (That's why I put the question mark in. LOL)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

+1 on the Congratulations (?) You are obviously a very valued employee if they're making you this offer. Pat yourself on the back.

I have been working from home for 9 years. At first, I found it just too easy to work way more than 40 hours a week. I could see my home office no matter where I was in our house, and I'd sneak back in after dinner to "button up a few things". I just couldn't turn it off. DH finally mentioned he noticed how much time I was in my office and wondered if I was really enjoying it. DUH, no!

I moved my office to the second floor so I can't hear so well when it calls to me. I turn my work cell phone off now and don't answer after hours calls. And when I hust my computer off in the evening, 99% of the time it stays that way until the next morning.

Working from home is great, just don't let them encroach too much on your retirement dreams. YMMV, of course.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Dang it my boss (who is out of state) told me she will be in on Monday so we can finalize my post-retirement consulting. Talk about mixed feelings for me - she stressed they think the consulting is a great idea and have several plans to discuss with me.

I was a telecommuter for several years in my prior j*b, so I'm aware of those pitfalls. But I think this time will be different, and will not have any problem turning off the computer at 5:00....on either of the max 2 days per week I'll w*rk.

I'll send update next week.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

No doubt about it. Set some boundaries early. Otherwise mission creep will wipe out your retirement.

On a side note, I am amazed at how many people want us to continue working after retirement. Even before I retired I had people suggestion new jobs for me, asking me about working part time, and wanting to know if I would go back to school to start a second career. Gosh, all I wanted to do was get up after sunrise, drink coffee and read the newspaper before deciding what I did for the day.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

DW was supposed to retire this year, but it looks like they're close to talking her into half time. She says only for OMY. A step in the right direction at least.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest that you set an hourly rate high enough that they value your time and do not use too much of it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Yea, working after retirement. I was offered a job cleaning the rattlesnake exhibits at a desert museum. What a bite in the B__t.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I would suggest that you set an hourly rate high enough that they value your time and do not use too much of it.
+1
These semi-retirement arrangement can become nothing more than FT work for PT pay
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

When setting your hourly rate, keep in mind:
- Compared to hiring an employee, your customer (your forer employer) is saving money in health care costs, paid time off, accounting overhead, office space overhead, 401K matching, etc. Don't make yourself a "cheap date" or your dance card will be forever full.

- You'll be paying self employment taxes of 15.3% from the very first dollar, plus any "regular" income tax you'd owe on income.

- With self-employed income there are some good ways to shelter income (SEP-IRA, Solo 401K, etc), but they involve pushing money into accounts that will eventually be taxed at the regular income rate (not the more favorable LTCG rate or dividend rate). So, be sure to consider the long-term implications as you look at the options.

And congratulations!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
- With self-employed income there are some good ways to shelter income (SEP-IRA, Solo 401K, etc), but they involve pushing money into accounts that will eventually be taxed at the regular income rate (not the more favorable LTCG rate or dividend rate). So, be sure to consider the long-term implications as you look at the options.
There is also a solo Roth 401K that you can look into. I'm reading about how it works now in the book "Retire Secure: Pay taxes later" by James Lange.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Ok, what's OMY?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ok, what's OMY?
One more year. (Of work)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing the 1 or 2 days a week thing for almost 3 years now. It has really worked out well. I made it clear what kind of tasks I want to do (and have turned down a few). I don't really get pressured to do stuff I don't want to do since it is known that I am willing to quit entirely.

There were some negative house related expenses during the past couple of years so the income has been nice to have and really smoothed things out.

I don't worry about having to work for free as I'm paid on an hourly rate.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats mystang!

I have a similar gig going. 2 days a week, sometimes from home, sometimes from the office, sometimes wherever I'm at. It's supposed to start April 1, but I've been using vacation days to the point that I'm averaging 1-2 days a week now.

At first I was excited about the new gig. But not so much now. I still return phone calls/emails on my off days, and I get paid for this, but it just doesn't feel like I've cut the work responsibilities as I expected.

Right now my I'm training others to handle these interruptions. Like others have said, define your boundaries up front to avoid these situations.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #16

Try the part time offer, but build the fence between work and your own time with barbed wire.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #17

When I saw the title of the thread I thought OMY meant Oh My God :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ok, what's OMY?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Yea, working after retirement. I was offered a job cleaning the rattlesnake exhibits at a desert museum. What a bite in the B__t.
Uh, I think I'd be able to resist that offer.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #19

If you don't have much going on, it may be OK. But money should not be an issue. However...What if you want to go to Burning Man or something and get on with your life?

Rattlesnakes! Did someone say Rattlesnakes? Hey, I'll take a swipe at that!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
If you don't have much going on, it may be OK. But money should not be an issue. However...What if you want to go to Burning Man or something and get on with your life?

Rattlesnakes! Did someone say Rattlesnakes? Hey, I'll take a swipe at that!
Wow, what a connect Burning Man and rattlers. Burning Man is one of the things on my to do list.