Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefl View Post
I have been lurking and after seeing a Venice FL thread, I finally decided to register. First- Great Forum!!!
Second- I live in Venice and have for the past 7 years. I lived on the east coast (West Palm) and we decided to move here for the quality of life. Venice is a great area. Today, we walked downtown to an art festival. If you are looking for a home, prices seem very reasonable now. Check out zip codes 34285 (mainly on Venice Island), 34292 and 34293.
Let me know if I can be of any help or answer any of your questions.
Thanks for your response. Every little bit of information helps. The only negative I see so far is the property tax. It looks good when you first buy but some have informed me it can get out of control until you homestead. What has been your experience with the property tax on your home?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I lived in Port Charlotte in 1987, and I used to ride my road bike to Venice for a workout. A nice quaint town with good restaurants and such. For whatever reason, I used to run into pro athletes at the bars there.........I am sure that has changed.

The people are nice, never in a hurry. The beach is awesome, and the scenery was SPECTACULAR........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I lived in Port Charlotte in 1987, and I used to ride my road bike to Venice for a workout. A nice quaint town with good restaurants and such. For whatever reason, I used to run into pro athletes at the bars there.........I am sure that has changed.

The people are nice, never in a hurry. The beach is awesome, and the scenery was SPECTACULAR........

Thanks for the input. I think Venice is the place for us. Anyone out there know of any downside?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Thanks for the input. I think Venice is the place for us. Anyone out there know of any downside?
Fron June-Aug, you need to LOVE humidity, because there's plenty of it.

Also, it rains for about half a hour everyday during the summers..........do you like rain showers?

Don't forget about all the little lizards that hang around your house looking for bugs, and alligators.........

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Also, it rains for about half a hour everyday during the summers..........do you like rain showers?

Don't forget about all the little lizards that hang around your house looking for bugs, and alligators.........

Also drive slowly on back roads you don't want to hit a wild pig !
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Summers here in Wis can be hot, upper 90s, and terribly humid so I can handle that.
I like rain showers, much better than everything drying out and burning up like Texas.
Shared a hotel room with those lizards in the Philippines. Not a problem.
Alligators? My Filipina wife wants to know if she can grill them?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
In Wisconsin thousands of deer get hit by vehicles. I think I would rather hit a pig.

You guys haven't turned me against Venice Florida yet, but keep trying.
It's nice to know what we are headed for.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The difference I noticed between midwest summers and summers in the south, besides how long they are, is that the heat and humidity last through the night. My first summer in NC I was surprised how I'd step out at 7am and get hit with a warm wet blanket of air, that I rarely got in the midwest. Not that big of a deal, really, but do expect a more extreme summer in FL.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never saw one of those when I lived down there, of course I think my 1978 Mercury Cougar would have made short work of them............

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The difference I noticed between midwest summers and summers in the south, besides how long they are, is that the heat and humidity last through the night. My first summer in NC I was surprised how I'd step out at 7am and get hit with a warm wet blanket of air, that I rarely got in the midwest. Not that big of a deal, really, but do expect a more extreme summer in FL.
I guess I would rather have hot and humid than cold and dry. A few weeks of below zero cold can really get one down. When it really gets hot here in Wis, it seems like humidity is almost 100% too. But it does just last a couple months.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I guess I would rather have hot and humid than cold and dry. A few weeks of below zero cold can really get one down. When it really gets hot here in Wis, it seems like humidity is almost 100% too. But it does just last a couple months.
I like cold and dry, but THIS winter is ridiculous........I am old enough to remember when February it got into the 30's, March was the 40's and 50's, Arpil was the 50's and 60's, and May got into the 70's. The last few years we have had effectively no spring, where it goes from 40 to 80........which kind of stinks.........

Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

OK, I need to set the record straight.
Lizards- love 'em. They eat spiders and roaches. A friend from Sweden calls them baby dinosaurs.
June and July- Two of my favorite months in FL. Not too hot yet and no restaurant lines.
August and September- Great months to travel but it is still cooler in FL than many areas of the US in the summer. We always have a breeze from the gulf.
Humidity-Not bad but this is from a 4th generation Floridian and I don't know any better.
Daily Summer Rain- Keeps your car clean and you can always set your watch because it rains at the same time every other day.
Razor- You will love it here. You asked about taxes. The property appraiser's site may help. Welcome to the SCPA Website They did go up for the past few years but they are now headed down. Mine went down $243 this year. Our property taxes are high compared to the midwest but low compared to the northeast. Look in to homesteading your home as soon as you can. It limits the increases to a max. of 3% (I think). They do reappraise homes when it is purchased so the current homeowner may be paying $1,800 on a homesteaded home but the new owner may have to pay $3,600. This site may help too- Sarasota County Tax Collector
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefl View Post
OK, I need to set the record straight.
Pretty much the way I see it, but I've learned that Florida's reputation has historically been based on the WPB-to-Miami corridor. Folks' experience (based on a 2-week stay in a resort development in SE Florida) is hard to overcome. Ironically, there are plenty of great places in that corridor, not to mention a whole gigantic state to explore. Then again, a few years of population growth slow-down can't be all bad.

I like the hybrid of retirees, ethnicity, deep south, weather, swamps, live oaks, low unemployment, awesome parks, snowbirds reminding us how good we've got it. Hurricanes are our occasional curse, but mother nature will find you wherever you live.

Yesterday I took the day off and DW and I strolled the waterfront at St. Pete, had lunch and a glass of wine at a sidewalk restaurant under blue skies and 80 degrees. Went for a leisurely jog and had dinner outside on our enclosed patio. 7 months of weather like that, 2 more of similar but hotter weather, and a month or two of pretty oppressive weather which I ignore for the most part (or travel).

OP will love Venice.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Jake ,is absolutely right . We Floridians keep the fable of the awful summers going so people will leave us alone for a few months .
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Jake ,is absolutely right . We Floridians keep the fable of the awful summers going so people will leave us alone for a few months .
Don't let REWahoo see this -- he thinks that strategy only works for Texas.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

So, with all of the Venice knowledge resident here, maybe I can finally find out - is the song, "Harbor Lights" about Venice, CA, Venice, FL, or Venice, Italy?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Razor , Not sure if you are a wine lover but I'm going to let you in on the best deal in Florida . ABC liquors has periodic wine tastings for $10.00 for that you get to taste a lot of wines ,a souvenir glass ,food ( usually from one of the better restaurants ) and a $5.00 coupon off any wine purchased that night . It's a fun event . They have a mystery wine contest that is so much fun .
Old 03-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Razor , Not sure if you are a wine lover but I'm going to let you in on the best deal in Florida . ABC liquors has periodic wine tastings for $10.00 for that you get to taste a lot of wines ,a souvenir glass ,food ( usually from one of the better restaurants ) and a $5.00 coupon off any wine purchased that night . It's a fun event . They have a mystery wine contest that is so much fun .
I quit drinking beer about three years ago, but I still drink wine so that sounds just great.. I really don't know anything about wines, though.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just the opposite strategy we use in MN. Below zero year round, we live in igloos, etc, etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Just the opposite strategy we use in MN. Below zero year round, we live in igloos, etc, etc.
Works pretty good, eh?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote