Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone ever retired TO Minnesota from Florida?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe a few polar bears.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I know a lot of Floridians who retire to MN. every May!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Works pretty good, eh?
Is it possible I detect a bit of Canadian in your response?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
So, with all of the Venice knowledge resident here, maybe I can finally find out - is the song, "Harbor Lights" about Venice, CA, Venice, FL, or Venice, Italy?
My Venice skills are limited to Venice, California. But I can assure you that the song is not about it, as the nearest Harbor is 30 miles away in San Pedro.

Ha
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Originally Posted by donheff
So, with all of the Venice knowledge resident here, maybe I can finally find out - is the song, "Harbor Lights" about Venice, CA, Venice, FL, or Venice, Italy?

We don't really have a harbor in Venice, FL. A bay, the gulf but no Harbor. I guess it is Venice, Italy by default.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefl View Post
Originally Posted by donheff

We don't really have a harbor in Venice, FL. A bay, the gulf but no Harbor. I guess it is Venice, Italy by default.
I am not sure what the connection is with Venice (any Venice). The lyrics are,

I saw the harbor lights
They only told me we were parting
The same old harbor lights that once brought you to me
I watched the harbor lights
How could I help if tears were starting
Goodbye to tender nights beside the silvry sea

I long to hold you near and kiss you just once more
But you were on the ship and I was on the shore

Now I know lonely nights
For all the while my heart is whispring
Some other harbor lights will steal your love from me

I long to hold you near and kiss you just once more
But you were on the ship and I was on the shore

Now I know lonely nights
For all the while my heart is whispring
Some other harbor lights will steal your love from me

No harbor specified, in the lyrics anyway.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

here's a nice web cam of Venice: http://webcam.crowsnest-venice.com/live_view.cgi

it does want to install software so you can control the camera - looked safe enough to me - you can Google "crowsnest venice florida" and find the business and get to the camera that way. Looked a bit breezy this morning.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
here's a nice web cam of Venice: http://webcam.crowsnest-venice.com/live_view.cgi

it does want to install software so you can control the camera - looked safe enough to me - you can Google "crowsnest venice florida" and find the business and get to the camera that way. Looked a bit breezy this morning.

If you get to Venice go to the Crow's Nest . It is a popular Restaurant in Venice . The downstairs is a casual bar & dining and the upstairs is a nice restaurant with a great view . Also you have to go to Sharky's for at least a drink . It's right on the beach .One of my favorites used to be Althea's before it changed hands . When we first moved to Venice in 1995 we went to Althea's and were shocked at the prices Chicken Marsala $8.95 , stuffed lobster $9.95. It was half the price we were used too and the food was great .
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you get to Venice go to the Crow's Nest . It is a popular Restaurant in Venice . The downstairs is a casual bar & dining and the upstairs is a nice restaurant with a great view . Also you have to go to Sharky's for at least a drink . It's right on the beach .One of my favorites used to be Althea's before it changed hands . When we first moved to Venice in 1995 we went to Althea's and were shocked at the prices Chicken Marsala $8.95 , stuffed lobster $9.95. It was half the price we were used too and the food was great .
Sal put the kibosh on our zipping down there on a whim for a week for this month - too sudden and unsettling - she's countered with mid April after we ship off our taxes.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any trailer parks in Venice area. We were thinking about renting a furnished trailer for a few months while we are looking for a home.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are there any trailer parks in Venice area. We were thinking about renting a furnished trailer for a few months while we are looking for a home.

There are but there are also lots of furnished rentals . If you want to save money I'd go between April and Dec .. Plus you'll get to see what the summer is like .
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There are but there are also lots of furnished rentals . If you want to save money I'd go between April and Dec .. Plus you'll get to see what the summer is like .
If everything works out, I sell my home and quit my job, we will be going after Oct 1. I'll have to do some searches for rentals.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

There are several trailer parks in the area. A couple are even on the water. There are plenty of rentals even in the winter season from January-May. I highly recommend renting first because there are plenty of areas to check out.

I had dinner at the Crow's Nest last night. It is my favorite restaurant in the Venice area. Try the pub steak downstairs.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am not sure what the connection is with Venice (any Venice). The lyrics are,

I saw the harbor lights
They only told me we were parting...

No harbor specified, in the lyrics anyway.
I didn't even know about that song. I was talking about Boz Scagg's song. I just downloaded the lyrics and discovered that what I thought must be a misprounounciation of "venice" was, in fact, "Venus" - at least according to whoever transcribed the lyrics:
Son of a Tokyo Rose
I was bound to wander from home
Stranger to whatever I'd awaken to
Spun the wheel, took a shot in the dark
One way ticket and a runaway heart
A sailor's dream came true the night I dreamed you

Through the neon doorways
Down the stony streets I fell
All hands high side, all eyes erect, I follow
Sailing shadows, reds and blues
Curtains drawn but I saw through
The window to your soul, and I found you

Whoa, the harbor lights of Venus
Shining through the breeze
That brings me back to you my love
To you my love, to you my love

So, either there is a town named Venus or he is looking at Venus in the evening sky (I think he is a west coast guy so he wouldn't be looking at it in the morning). I liked the imagery of a Venetian harbor. So I thought maybe Venice, CA was the place - except for the no harbor part. Florida sounded like a possible option since I have never been there to see if it has a harbor. Now I need a harbor town called Venus or I'm stuck with a pretty ethereal planet.

Edit: Now that I actually have read the lyrics (never did before - I just liked the harbor lights refrain) of course he is talking about the planet. The whole deal is a dream - probably soon after he falls asleep on whatever ship he has sailed off on.

Sorry for the massive digression.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

WooHoo! Booked tickets for a flight to Tampa Florida 4-5 to 4-12 - turns out that's the cheap airport to fly into from PDX. Cheaper for us to fly roundtrip PDX to TPA that it is for us to fly down to Palm Springs and back - $369rt vs. $510rt for her latest flight. Granted that's on Delta vs. Alaska, so maybe the wheels will fall off, but it's an adventure. The really cool thing is that it just started snowing here!

Tampa is about 76 miles north of Venice - we'll drive down there and walk on the beach and hunt shark's teeth and look at houses. If it's warm enough i'm looking forward to dunking these bones in the gulf!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
WooHoo! Booked tickets for a flight to Tampa Florida 4-5 to 4-12 - turns out that's the cheap airport to fly into from PDX. Cheaper for us to fly roundtrip PDX to TPA that it is for us to fly down to Palm Springs and back - $369rt vs. $510rt for her latest flight. Granted that's on Delta vs. Alaska, so maybe the wheels will fall off, but it's an adventure. The really cool thing is that it just started snowing here!

Tampa is about 76 miles north of Venice - we'll drive down there and walk on the beach and hunt shark's teeth and look at houses. If it's warm enough i'm looking forward to dunking these bones in the gulf!
Let me know what you think of Venice.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's in the low 80's now and just beautiful. Make sure to visit downtown Venice and Casperon Beach ( it's a beach that was left totally natural ) . If you venture beyond Venice ,Sarasota also has a nice downtown(Lots of small restaurants and art galleries ) and then there is St. Armand's circle ( high end shopping and several restaurants ). If you decide to go to Sarasota from Venice drive on route 41 slow going but the drive past the marina as you enter Sarasota is worth it. Beautiful views and some real interesting art work. One last suggestion if you get a chance drive thru Casey Key . You go to Nokomis beach and take a right . It has some gorgeous homes with the ocean on one side and the bay on the other . Home to Stephen King among others .
Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

moemg, years ago rumor had it that lucille ball kept a home on bird key.

looks like king has two houses on casey. one he paid 8.9mm right on the gulf, nice property now taxed at 12.9mm. looks like it extends quite a bit north of the house where he has a bunch of dirt trails for off-roading. sweet. his other house is just a $1.6mm little thing down the block; must be the guest house or something for the kids.

i wonder if his novels ever considered some odd stranger on some strange forum looking into his backyard by satellite. (you wanna know the color of his cars or jet skis?) talk about scary!

calmloki, enjoy your trip. you can get water temps here: Tides Online

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
moemg, years ago rumor had it that lucille ball kept a home on bird key.

looks like king has two houses on casey. one he paid 8.9mm right on the gulf, nice property now taxed at 12.9mm. looks like it extends quite a bit north of the house where he has a bunch of dirt trails for off-roading. sweet. his other house is just a $1.6mm little thing down the block; must be the guest house or something for the kids.

i wonder if his novels ever considered some odd stranger on some strange forum looking into his backyard by satellite. (you wanna know the color of his cars or jet skis?) talk about scary!

His last book Duma Key was about that area in fact they are now featuring tours of the places he mentioned in the book .He was at a book signing last week in Sarasota .