Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lazy, I remember my sister-in-law phoning ~25 years ago saying they were staying in Tampon Springs.

I had beer squirting out my nose!

I do agree about South Florida and Ft. Lauderdale especially. It's the "promised land" for a Canadian.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I do agree about South Florida and Ft. Lauderdale especially. It's the "promised land" for a Canadian.
I thought that was the Turks and Caicos!

CBC News Indepth: Turks and Caicos
Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So my skin is shedding in great sheets - turns out that extended time up to your waist in the ocean scooping shark's teeth is liable to result in a sunburn. For Oregon whitebacks anyway. Sorta amusing that the spf30 that comes as an oversized chapstick - results in weird white calligraphy on the shoulders if your honey is doing the red areas from the day before.
on the main tourist drag there is an Italian restaurant - Cassariano's - pretty ok, but the best thing is their basket of bread with artichoke/garlic/? spread. That and a glass of wine, maybe the calimari - dat's da ticket!

An overcast 47 degrees here at home, with snow/rain mix called for this weekend.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #124
Confused about dryer sheets

It's been awhile since there was anything posted to this thread. I kept it bookmarked because my wife and I were planning a trip to Venice in late May.

We had a wonderful time there and on Anna Maria Island a bit to the north. Both areas are lovely, and it wasn't too hot or humid that week. Venice was VERY quiet in May; very few people on the beach or in town, and just the right-crowds in restaurants. The beach there is great but the sand is a bit different (darker in color) than what we're used to in New Jersey, or what we found further north in Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island. That takes a bit of getting used to but the ocean temps were perfect. We encountered no issues like jellyfish, sting rays, excessive seaweed, rocks, or anything else. The Inn at the Beach is the perfect place to stay, for a lot of reasons.

Sharky's was a lot of fun (once we got a table; I never saw a restaurant where you have to seat yourself), Those blue margaritas are great.

We ate at Eddie's, a local fish place out on the highway which I didn't care for as much; should have had dinner at the Crows Nest. We stopped there for a drink later and met a nice couple also from NJ.

After checking out we headed up the coast to Casey Key (amazing houses!), through St. Armands Circle and Longboat Key, up to Anna Maria Island. We spent three nights there and throroughly enjoyed the beaches, restaurants, piers, and shopping. The Beach House was the best.

I could see myself retiring to either place, at least part time. We hope to go back next May. Many thanks to Moemg for all of the great advice.

Rhys
RhysOrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Did you move to Venice?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #125

Did you move to Venice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
After researching many places to retire my wife and I have narrowed it down to Florida and Venice, on paper, looks like the right spot. Climate, activities, small town feel, and cost were the main factors in the decision. I have been to Fla only as far south as Daytona. Anyone here been to Venice or the gulf coast area from Sarasota to Naples? I know there are some drawbacks such as hurricanes but the benifits look to outweigh them.
I would appreciate any input from people that live or have visited that area. Thanks.
My husband and I live in OH and plan to retire in 2 years. We are also thinking of Venice. Did you go there? What did you think?
mebohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebohio View Post
My husband and I live in OH and plan to retire in 2 years. We are also thinking of Venice. Did you go there? What did you think?
We might head down to Florida and check it out in February. A friend has relatives in Cape Coral and just got back from there yesterday. She said she loves that area. I guess the best thing to do is take a road trip down the Gulf coast from Tampa to Naples.
Have you been checking out the realestate online? It is amazing the deals one can get down in that area.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
venice
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #127

venice

Thanks for getting back to me. Have been looking at the real estate, wish we were in a position to buy now but have to sell here first and we're a few years away from retiring. I think it will stay low for several years. We just got back from Naples where we spent Christmas with friends and I have been in Sarasota before but not lately. Like both areas but Sarasota is too much of a city (although it's nice to be near it) and Naples is geared around gated golf communities which we're not interested in. I like the sound of Venice as we like living in an area where we could live close to town and walk to restaurants etc., but of course you can't really tell until you see it for yourself. We're going to be in FL again in March and plan to spend a few days in Venice. There are a lot of beautiful parts of FL and at some point you do just have to make a decision or you could wander around forever. If you get there ahead of us let me know what you think. In reading this thread it sounds like you're looking for a lot of the same things we are.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #128
Gone but not forgotten

In order to live in the actual town of Venice where you walk to the restaurants you are not talking cheap real estate . That part of Venice is know as Venice Island and brings top prices . You may be seeing cheap real estate advertised in South Venice which is less desirable or Venice Gardens . There are lots of developments in Venice that are now reasonably priced but they are not in the downtown area . Venice also has it's share of golf communities but it is more laid back than Naples .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
venice
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #129

venice

Aproximately what would a (decent but not luxurious) two bedroom condo on Venice Island go for?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #130
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebohio View Post
Aproximately what would a (decent but not luxurious) two bedroom condo on Venice Island go for?
The minimum would be $300,000 and that is for a real basic condo on Venice Island . There are tons of condos off the island that go for a lot less . In case you want to check this out go to Realtor .com 34285 is the zip code for Venice Island and 34292 or 34293 is the zip code for off the island so you can see the difference . The lesser expensive areas are very nice and it is a five minute drive to the island where the shops and restaurants are . Feel free to PM me with any questions . I lived in Venice for almost six years and I still go there regularly .
Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #131
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just put a contract on a home in Venice,,,,it wasn't accepted and we landed in Bonita Spgs......just north of Naples.

Good luck,

The Left coast of FL is pretty good end to end.

Chris
chrisjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Venice Island Real Estate and Area Information

Go to page 11. There are some affordable properties.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #133
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Venice Island Real Estate and Area Information

Go to page 11. There are some affordable properties.
They are affordable and as soon as you completely renovate them they will be great . Just because it says Venice Island does not make it desirable . The areas near the hospital are all commercial with a few houses thrown in ( not a great area ) . On page 8 there is a house on Golden Beach for $325,000 that has great possibilities . All in all the prices have certaintly dropped and there are some great buys .Or you could live 10 minutes from the Island in a great community and get this for the same price .
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...292_1104938929
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Realty Executives Mainstream - Port Charlotte Real Estate
There are hundreds of affordable homes for sale in the Venice area.
I doubt if it has hit bottom yet.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Venice Florida Real Estate - Mid Florida MLS Search
Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Port Charlotte is not Venice . They are two entirely different areas . Port Charlotte does not have beaches and it's more rednecky .
I know. The listings are for Venice.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #137
Gone but not forgotten

Razor , Just curious ,have you been to the area ?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet. Orlando is the furthest south I have been. I have been searching for homes on the net for the last two years. We are going to expand our search, but still cocentrate from Tampa to Naples. Venice still looks good. After I retire we will probably rent for 6 months in the area while we decide where to live.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #139
Gone but not forgotten

When I was deciding where to move we subscribed to the local newspaper for six months . You can really get a sense of a place from the local newspaper . Check out The Venice Gondolier if it is on line . It's a hoot ! We were living in New Jersey at the time and reading how they were upset in Venice because some of the merchants did not decorate their garbage cans for Christmas .
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
When I was deciding where to move we subscribed to the local newspaper for six months . You can really get a sense of a place from the local newspaper . Check out The Venice Gondolier if it is on line . It's a hoot ! We were living in New Jersey at the time and reading how they were upset in Venice because some of the merchants did not decorate their garbage cans for Christmas .
The Venice paper is online. I looked through it several times a while back. They have the same problems everyone has. It did remind me of my hometown.

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/default.aspx?c=9

http://homes.welcomehomeflorida.org/...C34292%2C34293