Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I thought that was the Turks and Caicos!

CBC News Indepth: Turks and Caicos
I just got back from a cruise that stopped in Grand Turk. There's not much there. The biggest developed section was the tourist area (including a new Margaritaville) built specifically for cruise ship passengers. There was a nice new hospital that the Canadians are supposed to open in the near future, though. Total population is supposed to be around 8,000. It's a great spot if you like scuba diving, fishing or just getting a suntan. If you're into other pursuits, a different spot might suit you better.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

We are starting to lean away from Venice and are thinking more north along Natures Coast. We want more open space, wooded areas and nature. Found a little 5 acre hobby farm near Chiefland for $165,000. I just can't see myself living in a housing development.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #143
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
We are starting to lean away from Venice and are thinking more north along Natures Coast. We want more open space, wooded areas and nature. Found a little 5 acre hobby farm near Chiefland for $165,000. I just can't see myself living in a housing development.

That area is really sparcely populated so if you have any health problems I'd steer clear of a remote area of Florida . Also the gulf water up there is tannic so it's brown and there are no beaches actually not much of anything .After taking a closer look ,it seems Chiefland is an hour or so away from Gainesville so that's pretty nice for medical facilities & football .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you familiar with Clearwater and areas north?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #145
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Are you familiar with Clearwater and areas north?

Some of the areas I'm familar with maybe not as much as I am with Venice and Sarasota . My sister lives in Weeki Wachee so I travel past all those towns frequently . Do you want to live near water or would you consider inland . The Gainesville area is very nice . It reminds me more of New England than Florida .
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Some of the areas I'm familar with maybe not as much as I am with Venice and Sarasota . My sister lives in Weeki Wachee so I travel past all those towns frequently . Do you want to live near water or would you consider inland . The Gainesville area is very nice . It reminds me more of New England than Florida .
At first we wanted to live close to the beach, but if you have to drive to it, it really doesn't matter if it's ten minutes or an hour, after all when one is retired time isn't an issue. I live on a lake now, so close to a lake would be preferrable. I have heard Gainesville is nice.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #147
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I live on a lake now, so close to a lake would be preferrable. I have heard Gainesville is nice.

The difference is your lake probably does not have alligators !
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #148
Confused about dryer sheets

from New Jersey--too much snow and property taxes time to move.
I heard some good things about Venice Fl. The plan is probably early next year to rent something in Venice and start looking. Some one said there are still really great buys in Venice. Anybody knows what are desirable parrts in Venice.(on the right side of the track)
moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #149
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by moritz View Post
I heard some good things about Venice Fl. The plan is probably early next year to rent something in Venice and start looking. Some one said there are still really great buys in Venice. Anybody knows what are desirable parrts in Venice.(on the right side of the track)

Yes, The 34292 area of Venice is nice and right now there are some great bargains there . It is close to everything . There really are almost no bad areas in Venice but South Venice & Venice Gardens are much older homes and not as nicely maintained . I also moved there from New Jersey and rented for a year . The year gave me plenty of time to figure out exactly where I wanted to live . In fact six months would have been enough to make the decision.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by moritz View Post

As others have said, there are a lot of great areas in Venice. I live on Venice Island and the beach, restaurants and stores are all within easy walking distance.
Check out zip code 34285. There are a lot of great deals on the island for homes and condos. I just spent 5 minutes on the MLS. Downtownt condos were in the $150,000 range. I found 2 across the street from the beach (no beach view but 100 yards away) were $170,000. There are plenty of condos on the island less than $175,000.
Let me know if I can answer any questions about Venice.
jakefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #151

Thanks guys . I am getting an idea. I do preffer a small single house. used to a little land. Plus have a dauther and son in lot they may need a place to stay sometimes. She is a registered nurse , would like to see them one day to stay close with a mean old man. (only 63, but mostly feel like 5-17 and 80- 120).
Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Would not recommend buying a condo on Fla.
What happens when a condo association goes bankrupt? It's happening all over.

My understanding of the situation would be that the if it Chaper 11 - reorganization, the Judge would appoint a Trustee who would oversee the running of the Association. That Trustee would have the power to raise condo fees and and levey special assessments in order to get the Association out of the red and into the black.

The problem for someone buying any condo right now as I see it is two fold. One, because of these impending problems banks don't want to lend for condos and foreclosures are increasing, so the prices are no where near bottom - so if you buy now, you will probably over pay. And two, the major headaches may happen before bankruptcy is file if the elevator permit isn't renewed or the pool and clubhouse, etc. are not maintained and are closed, etc.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #153

Yes condo's realy not the best choise. Here we have mostly coops (you have more rights). Now days esspecialy in FL condo's are a little risky. But even a small single family house ,you are the boss.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Venice is a nice place. I lived nearby in Port Charlotte in the late 80's..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Islandwalk at the Villages in venice
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #155

Islandwalk at the Villages in venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefl View Post
As others have said, there are a lot of great areas in Venice. I live on Venice Island and the beach, restaurants and stores are all within easy walking distance.
Check out zip code 34285. There are a lot of great deals on the island for homes and condos. I just spent 5 minutes on the MLS. Downtownt condos were in the $150,000 range. I found 2 across the street from the beach (no beach view but 100 yards away) were $170,000. There are plenty of condos on the island less than $175,000.
Let me know if I can answer any questions about Venice.
Hi,

I know this thread is old, but if you are still monitoring it I would appreciate some feedback. Looking at retiring on Gulf Coast - Venice/Sarosota. Browsing the net I came across two communities of interest - IslandWalk at the Villages in Venice and the Cascades in Sarasoto. Can you shed any light on these two communities?

Thanks,
Sam
sam_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #156
Dryer sheet wannabe

I realize your post is a few years old, but wanted to thank you for the info on Venice.

I read somewhere to avoid the South of Venice, is there a reason? I see the south side on map, but no north side. Would it be just above the south listed side? Also, is there public transport from the nearest airport (looks like Sarasota)? Thank you, please post in PM.
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #157
Dryer sheet wannabe

One more thing, I DO want to be walking distance to beach so if this is not the place for me, please give other suggestions

thank you
Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #158
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am still working on a location. Someone please give me comparison between Venice, Venice Island and Naples/Ft Myers. Where would I find a decent price on purchasing with beach within walking distance? It should be a good investment opportunity for future sale maybe 10 years away.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #159
Gone but not forgotten

You can still buy condos and older (really old ) small houses on the Island of Venice for under $300000. The condos are small but are within walking distance to a beach ,restaurants & shops . The houses are further from the beach and usually need a lot of updating . Not sure if any real estate is a good investment right now . Florida is recovering nicely from the real estate drop . The bargains of a few years ago are very hard to find and usually scooped up quickly by investors. Google homes for sale on the Island of Venice ,Fl.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #160
Dryer sheet wannabe

Of couse, I google daily for homes, I believe my chances are best once I get there. Not looking for old homes, do not want hassel of updating, if need be, I will look elsewhere...thanks for post.