Join Early Retirement Today

Venice Florida
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Venice Florida

After researching many places to retire my wife and I have narrowed it down to Florida and Venice, on paper, looks like the right spot. Climate, activities, small town feel, and cost were the main factors in the decision. I have been to Fla only as far south as Daytona. Anyone here been to Venice or the gulf coast area from Sarasota to Naples? I know there are some drawbacks such as hurricanes but the benifits look to outweigh them.
I would appreciate any input from people that live or have visited that area. Thanks.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Venice is very appealing. I recall a discussion a while back - might try a search.

It has a small town feel still, the beach is more accessible than lots of other cities. Close but not too close to Sarasota and Tampa, whose airport is big and well-behaved. I used to ride by motorcycle down there on a Sunday just to park on the main street, get an ice cream at a place that hasn't changed since the 1950s. Less "snob appeal" than some other places on the Gulf Coast to my eye.

I'd say it's definitely worth a trip and there are some fantastic housing bargains at the moment.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Venice is very appealing. I recall a discussion a while back - might try a search.

It has a small town feel still, the beach is more accessible than lots of other cities. Close but not too close to Sarasota and Tampa, whose airport is big and well-behaved. I used to ride by motorcycle down there on a Sunday just to park on the main street, get an ice cream at a place that hasn't changed since the 1950s. Less "snob appeal" than some other places on the Gulf Coast to my eye.

I'd say it's definitely worth a trip and there are some fantastic housing bargains at the moment.

I did read some other threads about it and just wanted some fresh opinions. Yes, there are some really good deals on homes in that area right now. We are planning to visit there next fall/winter.
One thing I read on the internet is that in the summer it gets over 90 just a few times a summer. Is that correct?
The Naples area looks good too, but I noticed property taxes are a lot higher.
Can you think of any other negatives of that area?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Summers here are much less extreme and to me more comfortable than those in the midwest - the Gulf keeps peak temps in the low 90s. But the duration of this weather can be 5-6 months each year.

Near the Gulf there's often a nice breeze. But the humidity and length of the summers can get old come September. After that, 7 months of the best weather you can imagine, if you like sun, puffy clouds, highs in the 70s and low 80s, clear nights, occasional rain showers. We've lived in Wisconsin, Tucson, and here and the weather here suits us best. Remember, it takes about 2 weeks to adapt to a new climate physiologically, so a 1 week stay is not a good test of how tolerable you'll find it -- true for both the warm and cold extremes.

Naples has had a really housing tailspin, but I hear it is very nice in a hoity-toity sort of way. Check out Bonita Springs, Fort Myers, Englewood, Sarasota, and Bradenton. All nice in their own way, but Venice is more homey and "genuine" from what I've seen.

Hurricanes, for all their horror, tend to be a once-in-12-year occurrence in any given region in the state, much lower for a given specific location, I've read. Tampa's last direct hit was over 30 years ago, but you can't get complacent. FIRE helps a lot here - a credible hurricane watch for our area would be an excuse to hit the road for a visit to the kids or friends well in advance, which eliminates the false-alarm / crying wolf syndrome. Much harder with jobs and kids in school, etc. to do that. I think it's similar with other natural disaster scenarios, but more predictable (and more devastating if and when it does occur).

Moemg may have more to share.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I lived in Venice ,Fl. for five years and I'd move back in a heartbeat . It is the perfect small town . Beach close by ,decent restaurants , decent community theater , friendly people ,quick drive to Sarasota .In the summer Floridans go to the beach or float in a pool by September I've usually had enough and I travel .Venice and Naples are opposites in that Naples is pricey and snotty( sorry if I offended anyone ) ,Venice is quaint and now it's also affordable . Housing prices there have dropped back to the 2003 level . I think their local newspaper the Venice Gondolier may be online . They also have lots of sidewalk cafes and festivals . You have convinced me I'm moving back to Venice . Feel free to Pm me with any questions on that area .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I lived in Venice ,Fl. for five years and I'd move back in a heartbeat . It is the perfect small town . Beach close by ,decent restaurants , decent community theater , friendly people ,quick drive to Sarasota .In the summer Floridans go to the beach or float in a pool by September I've usually had enough and I travel .Venice and Naples are opposites in that Naples is pricey and snotty( sorry if I offended anyone ) ,Venice is quaint and now it's also affordable . Housing prices there have dropped back to the 2003 level . I think their local newspaper the Venice Gondolier may be online . They also have lots of sidewalk cafes and festivals . You have convinced me I'm moving back to Venice . Feel free to Pm me with any questions on that area .

Thanks for your input. Besides the housing crisis are there other reasons why property values have dropped so much?
Ideally I would like a home with a pool, within walking distance (a mile) of the beach, golf courses within 10 miles, large lot, and a home less than 20 years old.
Why are there so many canals and is flooding a problem?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Thanks for your input. Besides the housing crisis are there other reasons why property values have dropped so much?
Ideally I would like a home with a pool, within walking distance (a mile) of the beach, golf courses within 10 miles, large lot, and a home less than 20 years old.
Why are there so many canals and is flooding a problem?
There are not really a lot of canals in Venice . There is the intercoastal waterway which seperates the Island of Venice from rest of Venice . Flooding is a problem in an area called South Venice where homes are much cheaper . The only other flooding problem is the Myaka River . I lived in the 34292 zip code which consists of several developments all near golf courses and while close to the beach not walking distance . The reason the prices dropped is because they increased crazily . I bought my home in Venice in 1996 for $140,000 . Three bedroom ,two bath brand new in a community with a community pool ,tennis courts and a club house . Two years ago those houses were selling in the $370,000 's now they are back down to the $290,000 -$300,000 range . To buy a house within a mile of the beach you are talking some major money and your chance of a big lot near the beach is almost impossible . I rented in Venice for six months before we bought and it was a smart move because a lot of the developments that looked good on paper were not what I wanted . Good Luck in your search . If you are going to visit Venice I would highly recommend the Inn at the Beach . It's across from the public beach and walking distance to restaurants and the quaint downtown .
Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We are thinking about renting in Florida for awhile to look for our dream retirement home. First we must sell our home in Wisconsin.

For anyone interested in Florida prpoerty here is a great site to search.
Property Search
Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
We are thinking about renting in Florida for awhile to look for our dream retirement home. First we must sell our home in Wisconsin.

For anyone interested in Florida prpoerty here is a great site to search.
Property Search

Don't forget that whatever it says in the listing for the property taxes yours will be a lot higher since the people were probably homesteaded .
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Don't forget that whatever it says in the listing for the property taxes yours will be a lot higher since the people were probably homesteaded .
I wish you hadn't said that.
How is Fla property tax calculated? Here in Wis an assessed value is placed on a property and a percent of that is paid each year. Doesn't matter if the home is sold, the value remains the same until the next assesment.
How much is a lot higher?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's the situation with getting insurance in Venice? I've heard it can sometimes be difficult in southern Florida.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

In the $350,000 range the taxes would be about $5,500 . We have a flukey tax system . Lazy is much better at explaining it but basically when you by a house the tax is reset at the price you paid . So if the present owners are paying $2,000 on a $350,000 house your bill will me more like $5,500 . You then homestead the house and your taxes can only go up 3% a year . The problem is in most areas of Florida everybody pays different taxes so even if your house is identical to the house next door your taxes may be way higher . In my neighborhod my neighbor and I pay the same amount . Their house is 1600 square feet on a small lot and valued at $312,000. My house is 2600 sq.feet with a three car garage on a large lot and valued at $ 690,000 for tax purposes.`
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
What's the situation with getting insurance in Venice? I've heard it can sometimes be difficult in southern Florida.
The insurance companies seem to be finally coming back and offering reasonable rates .
Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In the $350,000 range the taxes would be about $5,500 . We have a flukey tax system . Lazy is much better at explaining it but basically when you by a house the tax is reset at the price you paid . So if the present owners are paying $2,000 on a $350,000 house your bill will me more like $5,500 . You then homestead the house and your taxes can only go up 3% a year . The problem is in most areas of Florida everybody pays different taxes so even if your house is identical to the house next door your taxes may be way higher . In my neighborhod my neighbor and I pay the same amount . Their house is 1600 square feet on a small lot and valued at $312,000. My house is 2600 sq.feet with a three car garage on a large lot and valued at $ 690,000 for tax purposes.`
UGh. Property taxes are the most unfair tax there is.
If the price I pay for a house is less than what the last guy paid will property taxes be less?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

currently yes, you will pay less in tax if you paid less for your house than the last guy (assuming millage & assessments remain constant--edit: and assuming similar exemptions). in the future if portability is affirmed by the courts, you would not necessarily pay less in taxes because the previous owner might have ported save our home value from a previously homesteaded property.

your property appraiser's office is here Welcome to the SCPA Website but oddly i do not find a tax calculator on site.

i agree with other posters that venice is very nice. i do not agree that it is such an easy drive to sarasota as tamiami trail is quickly becoming a parking lot, especially during rush hour traffic. not a bad ride to tampa on i-75 however.

as to the tailspin in properties there and in places like fort myers and to some degree the less expensive areas of naples, really, there wasn't much there in the first place to have justified the increases they enjoyed short-term. i can understand the values in south florida having risen so high (although miami sure went nuts) as we have lots of "convenience" including three major airports less than an hour from each other. whereas the closest major airport to naples is either fort lauderdale on this coast or tampa on that. also in south florida land is very limited by the ocean and the everglades but the west coast and north florida has much land to continue expanding onto. so it never made sense that their prices went up as much as ours in the first place.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had to take a look - this is an interesting site: Venice MLS in Florida, find a home, search the Venice mls in Florida 34284, 34285, 34286, 34287 MLSonline

Highlights include that the median age in Venice is 69 and that 28% of the homes are unocupied! Sooooo .. fairly empty beaches and wrinkled leathery skin on the beachgoers? Here's a lovely story about a builder offering a free 2008 Ford Focus with his new homes:

"For a limited time Saturday and Sunday, residents will receive a 2008 Ford Focus from Bay Harbor Ford in Englewood for buying a newly built three-bedroom, two-bath house. The promotion runs from noon-4 p.m. on both days.
"I'm giving these houses away," Snyder said.
The 14 homes, located in Englewood East near Home Depot, are available in two sizes. The smaller home is listed at $119,000. Snyder said the other unit, which is more than 1,900-square feet, is $139,000. A model will be available for viewing at 17276 Helios Ave.
Snyder said the market has come to the point where no one is selling houses.
As a result, his company -- like others -- is taking drastic steps to recover.
But residents don't have to take the new car.
Snyder said the buyer has the option to subtract $14,500 from the home cost, or use it as a down payment at the Ford dealer for another car. "If this doesn't work, we will all go to the poorhouse," he said."

MLS has lots of homes selling furnished - Old Pa kicked the bucket?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. We won't start looking until I sell my home and retire in the fall. It sure looks like a buyers market for now and probably will be next year. We went down to Texas to check it out this year. I wish we had gone to Florida instead. Texas just didn't do it for us.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=calmloki;623015]Had to take a look - this is an interesting site: Venice MLS in Florida, find a home, search the Venice mls in Florida 34284, 34285, 34286, 34287 MLSonline

e 14 homes, located in Englewood East near Home Depot, are available in two sizes. The smaller home is listed at $119,000. Snyder said the other unit, which is more than 1,900-square feet, is $139,000. A model will be available for viewing at 17276 Helios Ave.
/quote]

Englewood East is a less desirable area . Try searching the 34292 zip codes that's more realistic . The average age in Venice used to be real old but there has been an influx of young retirees . Most of the residents tend to be educated and upper middle class .Stay clear of Venice Gardens ,South Venice and near the Myaka River .
Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
[.Stay clear of Venice Gardens ,South Venice and near the Myaka River .
I was just going to ask you about those areas.
We will concentrate on Venice. I think we should be able to get pretty much what we want.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been lurking and after seeing a Venice FL thread, I finally decided to register. First- Great Forum!!!
Second- I live in Venice and have for the past 7 years. I lived on the east coast (West Palm) and we decided to move here for the quality of life. Venice is a great area. Today, we walked downtown to an art festival. If you are looking for a home, prices seem very reasonable now. Check out zip codes 34285 (mainly on Venice Island), 34292 and 34293.
Let me know if I can be of any help or answer any of your questions.
jakefl is offline   Reply With Quote