Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
LG4N

This says a lot. You have put it very well.
We speak to many folks who have 2, 3 and 4 times as much as we do, but they are afraid to not have a job. Truly, money is only one aspect of retirement. There's a lot more to unplugging from the 'norm' than money.

Congratulations!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Hindsight - getting canned/er layed off at 49 was a good thing - while I was counting the days till age 63(early retirement).

And then I didn't realize what I was doing til after I'd been doing it for a while - then my brain shifted from 'unemployed' to 'ER don't need to work no more.'

Sometimes you gotta do what you do until you realize you really can do what you are doing - er something like that.

?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sometimes you gotta do what you do until you realize you really can do what you are doing
also very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
What you are doing takes courage, too, and it's possible that it's your courage that he's jealous of...
i'm not sure if it is courage or a last-ditch effort in disguise; though, if courage, you, billy & others here have shown me a lot about this. my first thoughts was what a wonderful way to enjoy an adventurous life and so living overseas quickly became part of my original planning. but now that i've lost all my bubble money, it really is either that for, i project, about five years (though i imagine it will be a lifetime) or back to work for 10 to get me back on track. kind of a no-brainer.

never having been a real motivated guy, i wonder if i hadn't lost so much after deciding to retire, if i wouldn't have been content to wither and die in place rather than venturing off. now that my hand is somewhat forced (of course, though, by my choices), i'm looking foward to one day looking back and remembering the great times i'm about to have.

thanx for the inspiration akaisha et al.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sometimes you gotta do what you do until you realize you really can do what you are doing - er something like that.

?

heh heh heh -
Kinda brought a tear to my eye...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but comments like this really make me wonder: Why do you guys stay in jobs you hate so much that you're counting the days until you can quit?
It almost sounds like you're "putting in your dues" for 20 years so you can finally start enjoying life. Why not find a job you enjoy?
I did find a job that I enjoy, and I am enjoying life.

It just took me 24 years of dues-paying to acquire the qualifications, experience, and savings to earn the job I've always wanted. Luckily I plan to keep this job for another four or five decades. Maybe longer. I'll never quit!

I've been to 20 years of school too (kindergarten through master's degree), and it sucked almost as badly as midwatches, but no one suggested that I drop out of that either...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I did 43 years on the job. So, not really ER (I was 60). I think the proper attitude is "never be defensive" about retiring. It's your life and when it's gone it's gone. I remember those florescent lights at the cubicle farm. I did not want those lites to be my last view as they rolled me on the gurney to the ambulance. My aim is to "outlive the ba$tards." So far, so good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

LG4N
Quote:
i'm not sure if it is courage or a last-ditch effort in disguise; though, if courage, you, billy & others here have shown me a lot about this….now that my hand is somewhat forced (of course, though, by my choices),
Well, you are certainly welcome…

I do want to mention that - from my point of view - there is nothing wrong with having one’s hand forced on occasion to bring you to another location mentally or physically. I have never had my life planned out years and years ahead. Although I respect those who are able to hold focus for decades I’m not one of them.

Some of the best locations (physically and mentally) where I have arrived, some of the most profound lessons I have learned have been in response to my ‘hand being forced’. (I prefer to call these times opportunities and options, filled with creativity! I choose to do something different.) That style, I’m sure, wouldn’t appeal to everyone, but then I simply can’t look at my calendar for years in the future only to see that all the squares are already filled in for me. Although there are those who would consider that ‘security’ - for me, that style would suck the life and enthusiasm out of me quicker than I would like to think.

I guess that’s why there are different strokes…
Quote:
thanx for the inspiration akaisha et al.
Be sure to realize that you are the other half of this equation. If you listen to what others offer, receive their insight and then act on these things yourself, then the credit goes to you as well!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement