Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Visited My Old Office Today
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to go back to my old workplace to collect my fantasy football winnings today. Kind of surreal. I visited my old office and found out one guy suddenly announced his retirement (got an offer for a post retirement job...whatever) and another relocated. Saw my ex-boss. Still don't like him.

I asked about old projects and learned that life went on without me, which I already knew. Projects I started are finished or progressing nicely. Kind of divorced from all that now, but still nice to hear that something you worked on is going well and bringing some value to the world.

Then I went across the hall and visited some friends. As I sat in the office, it all got very familiar, I had a flash back and suddenly felt very claustrophobic. I was happy to leave the place. I feel dirty now. I need a shower or something.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I had to go back to my old workplace to collect my fantasy football winnings today. Kind of surreal. I visited my old office and found out one guy suddenly announced his retirement (got an offer for a post retirement job...whatever) and another relocated. Saw my ex-boss. Still don't like him.

I asked about old projects and learned that life went on without me, which I already knew. Projects I started are finished or progressing nicely. Kind of divorced from all that now, but still nice to hear that something you worked on is going well and bringing some value to the world.

Then I went across the hall and visited some friends. As I sat in the office, it all got very familiar, I had a flash back and suddenly felt very claustrophobic. I was happy to leave the place. I feel dirty now. I need a shower or something.
Been more than 6 years and I've never been back.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bet I know what you'll be dreamin' about tonight...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I bet I know what you'll be dreamin' about tonight...
That cute gal in the cubicle that used to be next to his?

Ha
Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
ooooooo....could be....
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

With the awful commute I had to my old office, I have ZERO desire to make another trip there ever.

I di stay in touch with a few people I was friends with, but it is not often. Seems like a different lifetime/universe ago when I was there.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Been retired 4-1/2 years and have never gone back; don't miss it at all!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walked out of MegaCorp at 1:30 pm on Friday, June 29, 2001...and never looked back!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Coming up on 4 years on April 1...

I attended a few off-site Christmas parties for the first 3 years, and relished the separation from the still-w*rking crowd. I saw a lot of good folks who were still w*rking and retired, so it was worth going.
I used to faithfully go to weekly Chinese buffet with a small but very good group of folks. I am finding I am really not interested in listening to w*rkplace news at all. So I go approx twice a month just to say hello.
I have no contact otherwise.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
gone traveling

The bigger question is: Why?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #11

I go to the retirement and Christmas parties as much to visit with and catch up with the other retirees as anything. Two or three times a year I will go to lunch with a former coworker who is still there.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #12

I've been back there a few times, although not recently, and maintain membership in the alumni association. There is a monthly breakfast gathering usually attended by ~20-40 depending on weather and I've been to a few of those, but it's an hour and half drive so not often. And the annual dinner I haven't missed yet, it's mostly a fun time, but there is a remembrance ceremony for those who died in service.

And it is kind of neat to see what the others are doing in retirement. Most get other jobs (there are a lot of "type A" people in that group) and a few just kick back and go fishing or get an RV.

But really what it boils down to is a survivor's club.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #13

Been to a few retirement parties but these have petered out. I had lunch with my successor a couple of weeks ago. I was her mentor and she still seems to value contact. I guess that's good. Have set up a lunch with 3 cronies I worked with who retired around the same time as I. Looking forward to that. How soon we are forgotten.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
gone traveling

Retirement date: May 1, 2007
Office shutdown announced: May 1, 2008
Section shutdown (where I "resided"): May 1, 2009

Can't (nor have a desire) to "go back" - it ain't there anymore ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I was not that lucky. All men in my office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Been more than 6 years and I've never been back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
The bigger question is: Why?
I won $175, that's why! Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone and don't plan to do it again.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I had to go back to my old workplace ...

The key part of the statement is "without me"...

No one is irreplaceable... but it is sure nice to in a position to FIRE and be replaced!

[voice from above] Thy life sentence is commuted!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #17

I went back to my old work site last week. The first time since I left last December. I was dropping off some old management books to give to a former workmate. We talked for a while and I said hello to a few other people. It was useful to me to assure myself that I had no regrets about ER. I've been to lunch offsite 2x now with friends from work. I plan to keep on doing this until I'm no longer interested or there isn't anyone left to see.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #18

Retirement date was 5-1-88. Back off six weeks vacation earned and last day of work was actually March 15, 1988. Twenty three years ago tomorrow. Never looked back and never went back.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The key part of the statement is "without me"...

No one is irreplaceable... but it is sure nice to in a position to FIRE and be replaced!
For a while I though I was indispensible. Then I started taking 2 or 3 week vacations (rather than days here and there or a week as I typically had). I learned two things:

1) the longer vacations were much better because it takes almost a week for me to "unplug" and

2) when I returned I discovered that things were moving along smoothly, in fact arguably better than when I was around. Luckily I had two outstanding people who worked for me so things didn't miss a beat when I was out.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For a while I though I was indispensible. Then I started taking 2 or 3 week vacations (rather than days here and there or a week as I typically had). I learned two things:

1) the longer vacations were much better because it takes almost a week for me to "unplug" and

2) when I returned I discovered that things were moving along smoothly, in fact arguably better than when I was around. Luckily I had two outstanding people who worked for me so things didn't miss a beat when I was out.
Didn't this worry you that you could be replaced or that things ran smoothly without you that maybe the boss would feel that you were no longer needed and you could get laid off/fired (not the good kind) not at a time of your choosing?
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote