Join Early Retirement Today

Voluntarily Working After Retirement
Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been retired for 22 months now. It's been a great time. Made a lot of life changes in the first year and half: moved cross country 1500 miles from NM to OH to be near family, built new house and detached garage; that were late completing so lived in our motorhome for 6 months until we could move in Feb 2018. Had in-ground pool put in last summer, I did all 730 ft of the fencing, landscaping and much of the lawn. My DW loves plants and I must have dug about 300 holes for various trees, bushes and flowering plants. Of course the new house required all the window treatments to be ordered and I installed those, along with adding extra storage and shelves. I completed the inside of my detached garage including building a mezzanine, running much more electrical, finishing the walls, running copper for air lines around the shop, installing car lifts, and building workbench and shelves. Needless to say I was plenty busy last year. There are always things to do around the house now, but less than last year.

So that brings me to this year. I have more time now, and approx 1 month ago started a job for fun Actually working voluntarily, mainly for something to get out of the house, meet some other people, give DW a break for her time. In college I worked in an auto parts store, working my way through getting my engineering degree. I decided that I would go back to that, so I now work 2 days/week at a local auto parts store. It's one of the ones that supply the local shops with real parts, more like the older traditional style auto parts vs the chain type. I drive around delivering the parts to the shops. Absolutely no stress, it feels good to get out and around town. BTW, lot of really bad drivers out there The funny thing is almost all of the drivers are also retired guys like me. Most are older than me, but they are working part-time more for something to do than just for the money.

It is hard to reconcile the pay I get vs what I used to make, but I tell myself that I am working for fun, not for the money anyway. I know that one of the great things about early retirement is the ability to choose what you want to spend time on. I am happy to have that choice available.

I did consider to do some real engineering consulting type job, but then I would typically need to work more than 2 days/week and would need to be dressed up more in the office environment. My driver uniform is a t-shirt with the store logo Engineering job would also be less getting out and being with other people if I worked in an office.

This year April-May I also developed and taught a financial education course at our church (free, no cost): "Smart Money - Personal Financial Education for Life" is what I called it. It went well and will likely do another session later this fall once summer is over. Have to give thanks in public here to PB4USKI and OldShooter for their help reviewing my course materials. This was also kind of like work, but unpaid work.

Didn't do too much traveling last year since we were so busy with all of the house projects. This year have several trips planned, will definitely put some miles and days using the motorhome. Last week I drove to NM and back to pick up my sister and move her here to OH. That was a quick 3000 miles in 6 days trip, I was able to get between the storms and had good driving weather. Saw all the high water around OK and AR along I-40. Way different appearance than previous trips when I moved.

Phew, that ended up a lot longer than I was first starting out to write

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sounds to me that for you going back to work is far less work than being retired.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chevy, would love to see some pictures of the home and garage build out. Congrats and good luck. This is week three of my 32 hour weeks. I like it so far. Three day weekends every weekend is nice. Might go down below 30/week sometime next year. The plan is evolving.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds to me that for you going back to work is far less work than being retired.

I agree, I would not have been able to do all of the house and garage work unless I was retired. Maybe there is a hidden reason I decided to go back to work

Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like your the type of guy that needs to stay busy. I'm pretty much like that but have slowed a bit once I hit my mid 70's. I'm still active, though, but more selective on what I take on.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1
There is a wide range of thoughts of "working" after retiring to nothing at all on this site, which is interesting to read.
I was an "A" type personality at work, but don't miss work in the least bit and only volunteer for one off stuff.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

Dtail, the reality is that I am not a type A personality. I just like to be doing something. Example of this would be for me to sit on the beach doing nothing. I get bored and start going crazy after 15 minutes. I can spend a lot of time on the computer reading stuff, or of course hanging out in my garage working on my old cars. Just have a hard time doing nothing for any length of time.

Here is a picture of the back patio and pool area at my house. Pool has the solar cover on trying to heat the water up. The back wall of patio room are two all glass roll up garage doors. Nice to be able to open up the room when the weather is nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pool and Patio 4.jpg (225.5 KB, 61 views)

Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

I get keeping busy, but I'd resent doing this on someone else's schedule. I get up "early" one a week to drink coffee and provide a little business consulting for buddy. The pay is terrible, but the conversation is great!

Still, I consider this a sacrifice, but it's well worth it. I doubt I could tolerate anthing more structured or less inherently enjoyable.

My health insurnace company wants DW and I to be part of an online focus group. Fifty bucks an hour per person, probably half a dozen hours over the next year. Turned it down, and went back to drinking my coffee.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Dtail, the reality is that I am not a type A personality. I just like to be doing something. Example of this would be for me to sit on the beach doing nothing. I get bored and start going crazy after 15 minutes. I can spend a lot of time on the computer reading stuff, or of course hanging out in my garage working on my old cars. Just have a hard time doing nothing for any length of time.

Here is a picture of the back patio and pool area at my house. Pool has the solar cover on trying to heat the water up. The back wall of patio room are two all glass roll up garage doors. Nice to be able to open up the room when the weather is nice.
Very nice. I wish I had your handy skills, as I would have to pay for many things you describe.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #10

Man, I am worn out after reading this post...I think I need a nap, now.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #11

The garage where I take one of my cars has a van where they will drive you home/pick you up if your car has to stay there all day. The van drivers are a couple of older retired guys who work part-time sharing a full-time job. They love their jobs, get to BS with their clients and love being out and about. I don't think they really need the money as much as they need to keep busy.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

That patio room looks really neat, I love the rollup door idea.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #13

You are retired because no one is going to mistake your current activities as having returned to your career. You are financially independent because you donít need the money. Whatever you do to occupy your time is your business. Embrace it.