Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Peace Corps. When I was there, about 10% of volunteers were over 50. PC was looking for more older volunteers. Full service is a 2 year commitment (you can leave at anytime). They also have a new program Peace Corps Response where volunteer time is shorter and many positions only require life experience (vs. Peace Corps) to land the position. While PC had its problems, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I did serve with my DW. However, it will make it harder to find a position when there are two people.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well now...aren't you nice? Nah...gratitude should go to our real heroes that deal with serious circumstances everyday.

Our city offered a nine week citizen's police academy. I loved it and told them I would be available to volunteer if they needed me. Ended up volunteering for almost ten years. During my seventh year at the police department, I started volunteering for the court as well.

Those years were very rewarding for me.
I've done this same thing for many years, and also participated in our town's CERT program. Enjoyed it very much. Plan to also get involved with Habitat for Humanity. DW too volunteers with our DPS.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Administrator

Volunteering is a great way to get to know your local community and each time I've moved I've made a special point to step out of my comfort zone a little and help out in new ways. I've had fun and helped out others - it's a good deal. Here's the current list..

Build exhibits for a children's museum
Teach adult reading (literacy program)
Help out raising funds, sweeping floors and packing boxes for SIGN (bone nails for poor places)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #24

I'm on the local United Way Board and also serve on several committees and volunteer in other ways (some related to my w*rk and others not).

Just wrapping up a term on my church board, also leading a taskforce (related to my w*rk), sing in the choir, and do various other volunteer activities there.

Serve on a committee of our church's regional denomination office (not related to my w*rk).

Occasionally serve dinner to inner city homeless folks (some of my other commitments have interfered with that recently).

Serving on the team for a spiritual retreat weekend in August.

Sing in a community choir of a local university that needs additional voices to do major choral works.

Yes, I am very busy!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

The only volunteering I do is here, as a moderator on ER.org.

ETA: I volunteered for a couple of years as a science teacher in an inner city school. I stopped following threats to my safety. I later volunteered as a chemistry lecturer in high performing high schools and that was fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have always done volunteering, although since I am still working it takes very good time management. I often say: "My real job gets in the way of my volunteering"............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The only volunteering I do is here, as a moderator on ER.org.

I would like to thank you for your service...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #28

Did volunteer work for the IRS VITA program as tax preparer and site coordinator. I enjoyed it and will probably do it again next year. Works out great as that time of the year I can't golf, ride my motorcycle and the grand kids are in school. Plus it gets me out of the house and away from DW and her vacuum cleaner.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have always done volunteering, although since I am still working it takes very good time management. I often say: "My real job gets in the way of my volunteering"............
LOL I said the same thing as my volunteer work grew, causing some scheduling problems when trying to fit in my two midday, weekday volunteer activities around the few (3, then 2) days I had to go to work. Work had become a nuisance trying to juggle everything. But when I ERed, those scheduling conflicts nearly all disappeared (sometimes the volunteer activities conflicted with
each other or with my evening square dancing which grew after I ERed).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I volunteer at the local PBS radio station with a group of folks that broadcast a daily 2 hour news program for the blind. My day is Saturday and there is usually 1 or 2 other volunteers that read with me. I feel so honored to have been selected a couple of years ago and look forward to my Saturday mornings. We have a great time.

I am also looking into taking the requisite classes to be licensed to insure handicap parking spaces are being properly used. It's amazing how many people abuse this by using someone elses hang tag. It is also sad how many people don't understand that the diagonal lined area are not for shopping carts or motorcycles. It makes it difficult for those using wheelchairs.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #31

I have posted many times about my volunteering. No need to add anything on this topic except that it is a huge part of my life and it is one of the main reasons why I wish to FIRE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Might have bee done before........

3 years away but wondering what type of volunteering (for those who are interested) opportunities have you all found? What have you found to be rewarding?

Did it relate to your career or just based on need?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #32

I've volunteered services to our HOA in the past. Now I'm donating my time for a new project and its career related. Design/survey for an RV park.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still working, but since many small nonprofits look for people with my skills, I am the Treasurer for a nature nonprofit. I'd rather do more fun volunteering, which I do with the parrot rescue and my volunteering for races.

When I ER, I will use the opportunity to get involved in some other areas of interest I have that do not, in any way, involve my career!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #34

I enjoy volunteering and consider it time well spent. I'm sure there are plenty of people who find giving back to their community as a waste of their time or money, too bad for them.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I am also looking into taking the requisite classes to be licensed to insure handicap parking spaces are being properly used. It's amazing how many people abuse this by using someone elses hang tag.
Do they give you a stun gun? I think I could enjoy that volunteer job. I'd zap litterers too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I volunteer at the local PBS radio station with a group of folks that broadcast a daily 2 hour news program for the blind. My day is Saturday and there is usually 1 or 2 other volunteers that read with me. I feel so honored to have been selected a couple of years ago and look forward to my Saturday mornings. We have a great time.

Cheers!
That sounds very rewarding.

-ERD50