Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Volunteering
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Volunteering

Might have bee done before........

3 years away but wondering what type of volunteering (for those who are interested) opportunities have you all found? What have you found to be rewarding?

Did it relate to your career or just based on need?
__________________

__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
martyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 963
I started taking classes through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at our local university. I volunteer by organizing science classes for them. I've put on two classes in the past year. It keeps me involved with science. My previous w*rk experience was as an engineer for a Dept of Energy national lab. I am also on their curriculum committee. I've been ER'd for a little more than 2 yrs.
__________________

__________________
Happy, Wild, and Free
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Might have bee done before........

3 years away but wondering what type of volunteering (for those who are interested) opportunities have you all found? What have you found to be rewarding?
Police work.
Quote:
Did it relate to your career or just based on need?
Totally different from my working daze as a pencil pusher.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,871
I did Habitat for Humanity for a while. Of course, when they saw my capabilities, they wanted me to take on a leadership role - AKA -turn it into a job. I bailed out and have been happy to have no regularly scheduled commitments since.

Also hard on the elbow, swingin' a hammer.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I started taking classes through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at our local university. I volunteer by organizing science classes for them. I've put on two classes in the past year. It keeps me involved with science. My previous w*rk experience was as an engineer for a Dept of Energy national lab. I am also on their curriculum committee. I've been ER'd for a little more than 2 yrs.
Sounds great.
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: No. California
Posts: 1,600
I had just completed the Master Gardener training when I retired. So, I volunteer in a demonstration vegetable garden and give workshops on how to grow vegetables in a home garden.

I added a second volunteer opportunity last summer when the food bank in my town added a vegetable garden and small orchard to help feed their clients. So, I work there too. In the middle of summer I work 4 mornings a week gardening and in winter it's down to 2 mornings.
__________________
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Police work.
Totally different from my working daze as a pencil pusher.
Sure you can help me here.......Police work?

Should I thank you for your service?
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Sure you can help me here.......Police work?

Should I thank you for your service?
Well now...aren't you nice? Nah...gratitude should go to our real heroes that deal with serious circumstances everyday.

Our city offered a nine week citizen's police academy. I loved it and told them I would be available to volunteer if they needed me. Ended up volunteering for almost ten years. During my seventh year at the police department, I started volunteering for the court as well.

Those years were very rewarding for me.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Police work.
Totally different from my working daze as a pencil pusher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well now...aren't you nice? Nah...gratitude should go to our real heroes that deal with serious circumstances everyday.

Our city offered a nine week citizen's police academy. I loved it and told them I would be available to volunteer if they needed me. Ended up volunteering for almost ten years. During my seventh year at the police department, I started volunteering for the court as well.

Those years were very rewarding for me.
Great, not trying to ping you.
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,418
I've been volunteering by helping organize a number of local music festivals (Jazz and Blues, Fiddlers Convention). Also have started working with the Coastal Bays organization, doing some conservation work. From there I've moved into working with the state Herp Atlas, which consists of wandering around in nature looking for and documenting the various snakes, lizards, salamanders, and turtles that exist in the area. That's a tough one, lol. I'm getting ready to start working on Master Naturalist certification, similar to KBs Master Gardener, but aimed at wild plants and critters.

Truth be told, it's all getting a little demanding. It's fun, but does at time seem to become like w*rk. I'm thinking of dropping out of the music side and just attending the fests, although I'll always be available to help out with the day-of stuff like setting up and tearing down. My concern with volunteering was always the way it has a tendency to suck you in more than you plan in the beginning. You have to set your boundries and stick with them.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 229
Volunteering is a great opportunity in ER that many of us do not have in our pre-retirement lives or at least is very limited because of Work. Also, for those who are used to donating a portion of their income to charity, it becomes a delay to ER if you wish to continue. If you are used to donating 10% of your income to charity, in order to continue that in retirement at the same $$ value, you would need to save an additional 2.5 Years of salary in your nest egg, which is a meaningful delay for most. Transition from $$$ charity to volunteering makes sense on many levels.
__________________
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Volunteer...
The word kinda pulls up an image of doing something for free, that other people get paid to do. By those standards, I think I wouldn't qualify, but...

Things to do since retirement? Almost nothing that required a long term commitment, but FWIW... some stuff that I do/have done for fun.
...Scout leader
...Taught computer classes 7 years
...Taught Small Business Administration Classes
...Grief Counseling
...Helped widows with financial/legal management
...Organized, planned and worked to put on more than 50 parties and events in our senior community
...Salvaged, repaired and maintained bikes for the whole community
...EMT-Type on-call for emergencies and night time illnesses
...Car, appliance, repair
...Free computer repair in home 13 years
...Emcee'd events
...Marina maintenance
...RV/boat compound maintenance
...Put up/take down clubhouse decorations 100+ times
...Help with pool maintenance
...Assisted with patriotic celebrations... Veterans day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and for veterans burials for 22 years
...Set up and run the community Website
...Walk dogs, do errands for shut ins.
...Provide small parts, specialized tools, ladders, garden equipment etc, for the neighborhood.
...Dish washing for Saturday community breakfasts
...Bingo Caller
...Storm clean up
...HOA board member
...String Band member
... Alligator watch

This is really pretty funny.. If asked, I'd probably say I don't volunteer for anything because I'd consider things like "meals on wheels", "habitat", or hospital work to be "volunteering" because it means making a commitment, and I value my freedom too much to do that. Have not "earned" even one thin dime since 1989, but wouldn't trade any of these fun things for any amount of money.

Life is good.
__________________
Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again. - Eleanor Roosevelt
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Volunteer...
The word kinda pulls up an image of doing something for free, that other people get paid to do. By those standards, I think I wouldn't qualify, but...

Things to do since retirement? Almost nothing that required a long term commitment, but FWIW... some stuff that I do/have done for fun.
...Scout leader
...Taught computer classes 7 years
...Taught Small Business Administration Classes
...Grief Counseling
...Helped widows with financial/legal management
...Organized, planned and worked to put on more than 50 parties and events in our senior community
...Salvaged, repaired and maintained bikes for the whole community
...EMT-Type on-call for emergencies and night time illnesses
...Car, appliance, repair
...Free computer repair in home 13 years
...Emcee'd events
...Marina maintenance
...RV/boat compound maintenance
...Put up/take down clubhouse decorations 100+ times
...Help with pool maintenance
...Assisted with patriotic celebrations... Veterans day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July and for veterans burials for 22 years
...Set up and run the community Website
...Walk dogs, do errands for shut ins.
...Provide small parts, specialized tools, ladders, garden equipment etc, for the neighborhood.
...Dish washing for Saturday community breakfasts
...Bingo Caller
...Storm clean up
...HOA board member
...String Band member
... Alligator watch

This is really pretty funny.. If asked, I'd probably say I don't volunteer for anything because I'd consider things like "meals on wheels", "habitat", or hospital work to be "volunteering" because it means making a commitment, and I value my freedom too much to do that. Have not "earned" even one thin dime since 1989, but wouldn't trade any of these fun things for any amount of money.

Life is good.
OK, point is
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
heeyy_joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madeira Beach Fl
Posts: 1,403
Help a disabled veteran - The VA is nearly two years behind in processing claims.
__________________
_______________________________________________
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,160
Nature foundation. I do trail work, lead some hikes, and maintain their web site. Much of it can be done whenever I like, as long as it's reasonably timely.

I'm thinking of also being a volunteer fireman. They have pros too, so as I understand it the volunteers do things like hook up hoses. No rushing into burning buildings. Not sure though, since it requires being on call. No taking off for a 3 hour trail run or hike.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,854
My main volunteer work is in the local School Scrabble program. Since 2001, I have been visiting a few area schools and act as a guru to the middle-school-aged kids in the club. I have also been running small tourneys among the schools since 2005. I find it a big ego trip and enjoy working with the kids, especially the better ones who can really benefit from my more advanced strategies.

I have also helped out at a college square dance class. The caller in my evening dances teaches a class and I help him out. What's not to like about having a class of pretty 20-year-old girls?

It is only once a year, but I help out my co-op board every year by overseeing the board elections and determining a quorum at the annual meeting. I put my spreadsheet skills I used at my job to work here with good results. They are very appreciative and my work gives me some added credibility when I make suggestions to the board on other issues.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
Tree-dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 347
Meals On Wheels driver. Unrelated to work life. I like to eat, thought others might enjoy it as well.
__________________
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll." - The Doors
Tree-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,633
For several years after retirement I taught a basic computing class for immigrants trying to upgrade their skills. It was twice a week for 18 weeks per semester. Unfortunately, I had to stop because I increased travel and couldn't commit for the full period. I now serve as a tech fix-it guy for a non-profit that helps old folks age in place in my neighborhood.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 47
Both unrelated to my career:

Volunteer tax preparer through Tax Aide for 5 years now.

Volunteer GED Math instructor through various local non-profits for 4 years.

I also spent some time training to be a SHIP (Senior Health Insurance Program) volunteer to help with Medicare choices, but did not find that to be a comfortable fit for me.
__________________
~Gabi
Gabieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,667
Another Master Gardener here, was a docent at a botanical garden, before moving to the homestead. Just resigned from our volunteer fire dept, faced the fact that hearing loss was putting myself and other FF in danger. Help with the local food coop, assist researchers at the Southwest Research Center, with mostly native plant, bird, and herp studies. I am still the town go to guy, when a strong back and weak mind are needed.
__________________

__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.