Volunteering

Skeptic

Dryer sheet aficionado
Maybe I should post this as a poll. I'm wondering what kind of volunteer gigs folks have found to be particularly fulfilling in retirement. Myself, I'm a computer guy and a numbers geek in my w**k, but whenever I can I love to volunteer my musical talents (church, hospitals, hospice, song circles, etc.), and I'm looking forward to doing much more of that in retirement. Frankly, I'm a little anxious about waiting too long and finding that by the time I've got all the time I want for such efforts, age has eroded my abilities.

Do others who have this general kind of FIRE goal actually find it to be sustainable in practice?

Our local garden club collects flowers past their sell-by date from local retailers and creates arrangements which are delivered to area hospitals and nursing homes. I set up their work room Monday mornings after the last kid heads off to school. Takes me about an hour, saves the ladies more time than that and they really appreciate it. Been doing it for about a year.

Also help the booster club for my kids' activities. Depending on the calendar, ranges from a few minutes to many hours a week. Glad I have the time, and my kids appreciate that I'm working directly on the things that excite them.
This has led to developing good relationships with the school faculty, staff and administration. Figure it's a benefit of being an ER parent of school-age kids :)

Like this arrangement - works with my schedule and I know it's having an impact that is appreciated.

I volunteer at my local food bank, one day per week (now 6+ hrs by my choice, they started me at 2). My expertise is in accounting, so that is the department I support. I've been doing this for 2 years now. I LOVE it. They have many volunteers, but only a few who can do more than clerical or data entry so I really feel appreciated.

One of the biggest benefits of a volunteer gig is that there is none of the HR BS from the corp world. No focal reviews, no meetings, no HR training, I can wear what I want, if we are traveling or some other conflict, I just let them know that I won't be in...no problem.

My DH also volunteers his time to help an older friend with his model train set up. A handful of volunteers get together once a week to build track, model buildings, etc. for this man. My husband gets to hone his model building skills with the best tools and run trains while being social (really an introvert) and train owner is very generous in return (lunch each week, baseball tickets, etc) for the guys.

So yes, this is sustainable. Just find the right fit and you'll be golden.

I started volunteering for CASA two years before retirement and continued two years after. Currently volunteering for another county non-profit. Totally agree with ocean view; no HR nonsense, requests for time off, hours wasted in useless meetings. Only way to work, even if it is unpaid!

I do some activities with the MD Coastal Bays Program, just clean ups and invasive plant removals and such. I can do them when convenient for me. Since I spend half my time in FL I'm thinking about joining an Everglades hiking group that does similar environmental activities.

I tried using my IT skills with a couple of organizations early after ER, but that was more of a PITA than actually working. Gave it up and never looked back.

2 days/week, 45 minutes each time, assist disabled children at Y pool. Most of the kids are autistic, some have physical disabilities. This works well for me because it's not a firm commitment; I just show up when I can help. Since I cannot be sure of my availability due to Grandpa related chores, the flexible scheduling makes it ideal. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in 2+ months because of a shoulder injury. In an emergency I can't trust my shoulder to hold up.

Last edited:
I should add that my husband made me wait 3-4 months after I retired to start my volunteer work. I hind sight that was good so that I could decompress and settle into ER life a little before diving into the volunteer thing. Be aware that it's easy to over commit, so enter the water slowly.

I tend to volunteer at "events". I call them "hit 'em and quit em" type of volunteering. for example my late husband died of leukemia so I'm helping with the LLS light the night campaign.

Or my church does some thing called "catch the fire". We collected and distributed school supplies in August, in November we'll do Thanksgiving dinner.

Stuff like that.

I've done a few things. Most were my own initiatives. But, the biggest one was Peace Corps. 10% or PC volunteers are over 50. If you want an exciting experience, you may want to check out PC. Others included:

- Crime impact study in our neighborhood
- Mentoring a small business owner
- Encouraging improved biking and walking infrastructure and programs in various communities
- Participating in a community co-operative effort encouraging neighborhood development and jobs
- Misc things that were opportunistic

We will be moving and I am considering Rotary (if we end up near one) as I have a lot of respect for them. We will see

I've been working in a garden on our church grounds where we grow produce for the local soup kitchen - generally every Saturday from 9 to 1- with help from kids working off minor crimes through community service. I've actually enjoyed the kids and we couldn't do it without them. Sadly, this will be our last year; there are only a few of us willing to commit the time and one will likely be relocating by next spring.

I maintain the web sites for my church and my Toastmasters Club. I donate platelets monthly, which takes an afternoon. I do a few charity bike rides every year. I'm on the church Finance Committee and the HOA Board.

They asked if I wanted to be an officer for the Garden Club next year. I said no.

Trust me, you'll find plenty of opportunities- and they'll find you!

I volunteer at the local soup kitchen a few times a month for the full day. It's very rewarding.

As RV'ers we joined a group called NOMADS (NOMADS: NOMADS) We travel in our RV across the US doing mission work that includes disaster rebuilding, working at camps, homeless shelters, etc. Very fulfilling work.

My wife gives her time to a gift store where all money go to the local hospital. It is 1 or 2 days a week some days are half days. It is good for her to be around people.

I would think your computer skills would come in handy for a number of voluteer activities. I do PC fixit services for old folks in my neighborhood "Village," an organization dedicated to helping people age in place in their homes. Villages are forming all over the country. The upside if you have a good one in your neighborhood is that you may be able to turn to them for help when the clock winds down. :) In my first couple of years of retirement I taught a course on basic computing (Word, Excel, PP, email, and Internet use) for new immigrants. The non-profit is called Computer Core. I would have kept it up but the course was twice weekly for 18 weeks spring and fall and my desire to travel forced me to beg off. I could get a sub for a day or so but I would have done my students a disservice if I bugged out for longer.

I've been invited to be a volunteer for Meals on Wheels (driving prepared meals to people at their homes). I can either be a driver or a 'runner', the guy who brings the food to the door. Don't know why they can't have one person do both jobs. Considering it. My reason for considering volunteer work is that I sometimes get bored, as a single guy who currently chooses not to have a girlfriend. Still trying to find more non-boring things to do without volunteering, though. I have a few discussion groups at church I attend, and enjoy, but those only occupy a few hours a week.

I fly for Angel Flight West and Pilots n Paws. So far this year, I have flown 17 patients to or from their treatments.
I have also flown 9 rescued dogs to their new forever homes,
I prepare taxes through the AARP/IRS program for low income and senior people.
I also help at a local food bank by inputting all the recipients names to an Excel spreadsheet and generating monthly report breaking down by age, gender, and ethnicity.
I also volunteer at local railroad society as a car attendant on a local tourist train, and am in the process of restoring a 23 ton switch engine.

Last edited:
DW has been a CASA since she retired 7 years ago.

I have done individual things like Habitat, ministering to the homeless, etc

Committed currently:

Transporting items across the city for homeless youth dinners
Volunteer tax preparation for low income and elderly in winter/spring
Just put on a pastoral search committee for new pastor (weekly commitment)

All rewarding in their own ways.

I volunteer once a month at my range doing Range Safety Officer duty for three hours, and other times as needed (just put in eight hours helping with hunter sight in).

I am planning in the next month or two to start helping out either at the humane society, or at a cat adoption place near me (both are no kill shelters, I couldn't work at one that did not place all animals). Or maybe I'll do both.

There is a resale shop near me that gives all proceedes to a childrens group and that is also on my list of places to volunteer.

Never a shortage of places that need help.

I volunteer at a few places. NPR Radio Reading Service that broadcasts programing for the sight impaired. I volunteer with a few others that alternate reading the local newspaper every day of the week. I generally read on Saturday mornings. I addition I have been reading books on to CD for some of our listeners.

I also spend one afternoon and evening a week taking care of (feeding, cleaning their accommodations, etc.) rescued kittens and cats for adoption at a private no-kill shelter.

And on one day from 5am until noon I volunteer preparing food for primates, felines, various mammals, rays, etc. at the zoo.

Cheers!

So today is Garbage day in my area. Im taking in my pails and I see a neighbor who looks pretty p!$$ed. Never one to miss an opportunity to pry into ones affairs, I inquire as to what was bothering him. Seems he was volunteering at the nursing home about 5 blocks from my home. Its a nice clean place run by the Nuns. The patient he was playing checkers with was complaining how the food was lousy in the place.

So, on his own my neighbor goes to the local Pizzeria and buys the old timer a Veal Cutlet Parmigiana hero.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. One of the staff sees the patient who is probably already on deaths door eating this thing and freaks out. They start yelling and throw out the food.

At this point Im biting my lip trying not to laugh. He was telling me how they wasted his $14 dollars. I told him "you know the Nuns have no sense of humor", your lucky they didn't hit you with the ruler. He said "thats it, I quit " I told him he should volunteer at the animal shelter , the dogs wont rat on him if he gives them a treat.

I'm starting the third year of a three-year term on our HOA. Each year I've accepted more responsibility, "rising" to VP this year. I don't think I'll run for reelection in 2018, but I'll still volunteer to run few community activities. It's starting to feel too much like w*rk.

I also did taxes through AARP last year and plan to return next tax season. In fact, DH will be joining the team this year. I hope that doesn't take the fun out of it.

Thanks very much for all the responses. I get the idea that those who are voluntarily inclined can indeed find fulfillment in doing lots of it in retirement, and it sounds like there are sufficient worthwhile opportunities that there's no need to fear getting bored with it.

Thanks very much for all the responses. I get the idea that those who are voluntarily inclined can indeed find fulfillment in doing lots of it in retirement, and it sounds like there are sufficient worthwhile opportunities that there's no need to fear getting bored with it.

Remember dont buy the Veal Parmigiana :LOL:

My husband volunteers enough for both of us. Right now he is in the middle of 5 long days of Habitat for Humanity with another 5 days next week. Then they call him for Sunday and he says NO. He also delivers one day a week for a food bank and does this with a couple of friends. When Habitat is slow, he builds wheelchair ramps for another local charity group. 5-6 days a week at least 8-3pm per day is his usual Habitat schedule.

A normal day is Habitat work, lunch, nap and then personal time. He loves the people, the physical work, the encouragement, and just the good feelings. He was a computer professional in his previous life and never wanted to do that again.

Dunno if I ever gave heart and soul and money but the title leads to so many memories that the following is just for me... and not an ego trip. Triggering old bits and pieces of history that are pleasant. Gonna be just a simple list in no particular order. (all after retirement)

SBA (Small Business Administration) counseling 4 yrs.
Boy Scouts 25 year of service. Cub/Scout Pack/Troop leader for years then committeeman
Scouting ten day canoe trip leader twice (Adirondaks)
Church group 7 day canoe trip leader (Canada-Minnesota Boundary Waters)
Emceed many dozens of Fl over 55 community parties
Various position HOA in FL and IL communities
Official photographer for my retirement park
Organized and published newsletter for Park... 15 yrs.
Taught weekly computer classes in retirement park 1991-2012
Organized and led group day trips in FL and IL for many years
Recovered, repaired and maintained a "recycled item" stash for both IL and FL parks.
Was on the "party committee" for about 1/2 of the weekly/monthly parties, dances and cookouts for all the time we lived in Florida.
Managed the Boat Club in Fl for a few years.
Handled several financial hardship cases for widows or widowers (paperwork and legal).
Was always the 24/7 on call telephone number for everywhere we lived.
Organized Daytona Beach beach parties... sometimes twice a week for the "surfer" group... for many years.
Unofficial grief counselor... even now in Liberty Village
Played Guitar in our LGH Western Music group... organized programs
Block Captain but nothing to do
On call for "need-a-ride program
Member of Central Florida Waters Program (Chain of Lakes)

Never... ever... considered any of the activities an imposition or work... every thing was for joy and fun, and personal satisfaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom