Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another Tax-Aide volunteer here. I'm going on five years now. I really enjoy the camaraderie shared with the other volunteers and the fact that it is seasonal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I volunteer at library sales around the city. If you are an avid reader like myself, it's a great way to get free books. I don't ask for the books; they almost make you take some. But, it's a lot of work especially if they don't have a lot of volunteers for that branch. Sometimes I come home so bushed my husband can't understand why I put myself through that but I just enjoy it and love being around books.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Volunteer with Cub Scouts. A couple of hours a week, they said.

I spend about 10+ hours a week with it. Cubmaster. Love interacting with the parents and boys. (DS3 is a scout).
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #24

Golf is my passion. I am thinking to volunteer for local municipal golf courses. I also like to volunteer for golf tour events, public libraries, environmental events, food banks, and any other causes that I believe in, or interested in. I don't mind if any of them becomes a part work (no more than 2 days a week) if I can make a difference.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I are active in a program that provides warm clothing for children in the county, each year over 500 kids get warm coats and outfits that they might otherwise never have. All the clothing is new, paid for with an annual fund drive led by the local weekly newspaper. I won't shop for clothes but happy to do everything else once the clothes are arrived- inventory, pack for distribution, contact people, or man the distribution hours.

During other times of the year, we will volunteer for other local events or drives to help out. Like others, I'm not interested in anything that has a set schedule or requires regular attendance. As I found during my working career, if you show an interest in helping, you get asked to do more and more- there are a couple of people we see working on every program,event, or cause and really concerned they are burning themselves out- these are people who still have full time jobs or businesses as well.

A couple of folks we've met are very active in the community so they know to call us when something comes up where might be able to help. Really didn't do anything like this while working and I have enjoyed the interaction and it does seem to make a difference to the people we help.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #26

Like others, after recently retired I helped out (local hospice) but it became too regular and job-like. Their need was real but I wanted less structure, not more. Around the same time there was a local effort to give low income students an academic helping hand, but it didn't work out either.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the time being (not yet FIREd), I'll just donate money. Might change as time goes on, but yeah, not looking for structure at this point...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We volunteer at the area nature centers where we spend a lot of time anyway. No set hours - we participate in special events. For example - each year we lead tours in the area butterfly festival.

Consider contributing your skills for special events.

There are lots of events in our area that need volunteers for short stints.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We volunteer at the area nature centers where we spend a lot of time anyway. No set hours - we participate in special events. For example - each year we lead tours in the area butterfly festival.

Consider contributing your skills for special events.

There are lots of events in our area that need volunteers for short stints.
Event related volunteering is a good idea.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Event related volunteering is a good idea.
Probably also worth mentioning, is that for our butterfly festival, tour leaders are paid. But DH and I were able to choose that our payment go directly to the butterfly center. So we donated in two ways!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When we lived in Central Texas, we would occasionally join the "Texas Trail Tamers", a trail building/repair volunteer group out of Austin Texas. They do a wide variety of weekend trips - some local, some within 100 miles, and some even multi-day camping trips to National Parks to work on their trails. The benefitting location often provides group facilities and more.

There is a huge range of possibilities.

Audrey
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #32

Quote:
When we lived in Central Texas, we would occasionally join the "Texas Trail Tamers", a trail building/repair volunteer group out of Austin Texas. They do a wide variety of weekend trips - some local, some within 100 miles, and some even multi-day camping trips to National Parks to work on their trails. The benefitting location often provides group facilities and more.
This sounds pretty neat, at least when it's not too hot or too cold in Central Texas. Gives you something to do in March and November....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Gives you something to do in the first week of March and the last week of November....
FIFY

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This sounds pretty neat, at least when it's not too hot or too cold in Central Texas. Gives you something to do in March and November....
Actually - the winter weather is so mild in the Austin area, that Dec-Feb are fine too.

**This message is not approved by the Texas Defamation League!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #35

Quote:

There is a huge range of possibilities.

Audrey

I need to add it to my list.

One more item I want to add is to clean up public places - pick up trash, paint over graffitti, etc..
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I need to add it to my list.

One more item I want to add is to clean up public places - pick up trash, paint over graffitti, etc..
Yep - in many cities there are local campaigns to pick up trash - rivers, beaches, parks, etc. A little searching and you will find!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep - in many cities there are local campaigns to pick up trash - rivers, beaches, parks, etc. A little searching and you will find!
One of the trails where I bike is along a storm drain creek, and the trash definitely detracts from the "nature" experience. But, frankly, all one has to do is start in picking up trash. No need for any "organization"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #38

I'm looking for volunteers to replace my gutters, front screen door and garage door. Positions may be extended to include putting down hardwood floors, regrouting tile, and remodeling the kitchen. Any takers? Just trying to be helpful to you bored old fogeys... *grin*
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I'm looking for volunteers to replace my gutters, front screen door and garage door. Positions may be extended to include putting down hardwood floors, regrouting tile, and remodeling the kitchen. Any takers? Just trying to be helpful to you bored old fogeys... *grin*
You'd get more takers if you had a brewery....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One of the trails where I bike is along a storm drain creek, and the trash definitely detracts from the "nature" experience. But, frankly, all one has to do is start in picking up trash. No need for any "organization"...
DH started doing this when he was out in state parks photographing along lakes and creeks. Bought a trash picker thingy. He tells me "fishermen are really trashy!!!"