Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I used to have work dreams when I worked. Not work politics - but the work itself. I usually solved work problems in my sleep and later implemented the solutions when I got to work.
I get that, on high stress projects 12-14 hour, 6-7 day weeks, I'd fix bugs in my sleep. I'd keep a notepad next to the bed and scribble down a few notes. I used to joke I'd fixed more bugs in my sleep than while at my desk. Those are most of the dreams I remember from w*rking.

My very best creative problem solving occured in the shower. These weren't simple bug fixes but, never been done before kind of ideas, some of which should have been patents. I'm not smart enough to come up with some of these ideas, they came from somewhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in the Navy for 28+ years and then worked in private industry for 6-7 years. I never dream about my private industry "career" but sometimes do about the Navy. Generally, they are positive dreams.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

In one dream I was running up five flights of stairs at a previous job very late for a meeting and shaving with an electric razor! Woke up in a bit of a panic!

-BB
Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No work nightmares that I can recall. Two nights ago I dreamed I was going on a tropical cruise and the social worker at the hospital was on the same cruise. (I like her very much). It was fun.

Always while in college dreamed I had to take a final in a class I forgot to go to the entire semester. Terrifying and recurred all the way through college.

True story: one semester I signed up for college band. Went to the first meeting and realized the music was far too easy, that I would be bored, and that I was too busy anyway. Filled out the paperwork and dropped the class. When I got my grades I got an "A" in the class that I dropped! I never bothered to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #25

I had a few dreams about work shortly after ER last year, but my mother told me that her father used to dream of the steel mill after he retired, too!

More common for me have been the "in college and behind on classes" dreams/nightmares. I read an article on them in the WSJ years ago and they're apparently very common even decades after graduation. I can't figure them out; I rarely skipped class, always did the assignments, etc. I enjoyed college and got good grades. In the dreams, I go to class without books, skip class for weeks at a time and then am afraid to return because I've fallen behind, etc.

I just finished a Geology class in which I read everything, attended every class and got an A for the course. Maybe now those dreams will stop!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I deal with difficult customers in my sleep all the time, I hope this goes away when I downshift next year.

I grew up on a farm, one night several years after I had a dream I was a dairy farmer milking cows in the morning. I had 102 cows that I milked all by myself - it was taking forever and I was exhausted when I finished the last cow. When I was done milking the very last cow I looked up and in walked cow #1 - it was already time to start evening milking. I woke up in a cold sweat and went to the office.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I had those for ~20 years after college. Never dreamed about grad school; only college. They stopped after a particularly harrowing lost/didn't study and there's an exam dream, where I got fed up and said, "This is ridiculous, I'm a grown-up with multiple degrees and I don't even need this class!" It's like I scared the dream away.

I also stopped "naked in public" dreams, which used to plague me, by one day pulling a blue coverall out of a bag, pulling it on over my head, and calmly going on my way.

Now if only I could stop the "evil car that won't obey the pedals or steering wheel" nightmares I've been having lately.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I
More common for me have been the "in college and behind on classes" dreams/nightmares. I read an article on them in the WSJ years ago and they're apparently very common even decades after graduation. I can't figure them out; I rarely skipped class, always did the assignments, etc. I enjoyed college and got good grades. In the dreams, I go to class without books, skip class for weeks at a time and then am afraid to return because I've fallen behind, etc.

I just finished a Geology class in which I read everything, attended every class and got an A for the course. Maybe now those dreams will stop!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I "thought" I enjoyed my 42 years of teaching until I retired at 66, but I dream about unruly students ignoring my teaching and being totally uncontrollable at least once a week. Perhaps this is my "subconscious" telling me it's great to be retired!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #29

I don't specifically recall having a work-related dream...but even these days - 16 years after college - a few times a year I'll still have a dream that I'm in some English or history class (my worst subjects) in either high school or usually college, and it's time for the final exam.

And I suddenly realize I haven't been to class all semester! Somehow, I missed it in my schedule and only went the first few classes and somehow never made it back the rest of the semester.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #30

No work-related nightmares, but add me to the list of college-related nightmares. Not that is has happened often, but a year or two ago I had one where I was back in school and having a problem in a class I had struggled in back in the 1980s and it seemed like I was really back there and meeting with a professor I hated (which made the nightmare only worse LOL!). Then I woke up and realized it was 30 years later and I was all done with school (and work, YAY). WHEW!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I don't specifically recall having a work-related dream...but even these days - 16 years after college - a few times a year I'll still have a dream that I'm in some English or history class (my worst subjects) in either high school or usually college, and it's time for the final exam.

And I suddenly realize I haven't been to class all semester! Somehow, I missed it in my schedule and only went the first few classes and somehow never made it back the rest of the semester.
Re-thinking, I now remember the occasional work-related dream with my caddying days (ages 12 until about 22). For some reason, I'll dream that I'm going back up there to sign in on the list, and do the usual morning routine of helping to pull out the golfers' bags, load them on carts, etc. Nothing traumatic or frustrating or scary or 'crazy' (i.e. nothing breaking the laws of physics or some member doing something hilarious or impossible) - just random dreams based on memories of being up there again.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #32
Administrator

I never have nightmares about college. I seldom have work nightmares any more, either.

My work nightmares generally involve going back and discovering that things I used to be responsible for, aren't being done properly at all any more, in my opinion. Then, in the dream, for some reason I'm the one that gets blamed (why? I'm retired, for Pete's sake!! ). If I don't awaken at that point, in my dream I end up yelling at my successor and pulling off minor miracles to fix the problems before disaster strikes.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been out of the corporate world for 25 years (quit and started my own business) and I still occasionally have a nightmare about being back in the office.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't spent more than a moment thinking about work. Certainly haven't had any dreams about work. I sleep so soundly these days I barely dream at all (or don't remember them).
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #35

I have them occasionally. I am very relieved when I realize it is just a dream.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #36

My nightmare is that I've been working for months without a paycheck, and for some reason I still continue to show up. That college dream pops up sometimes too, "What? Finals are today?! I signed up for that course? I didn't attend any of the lectures!" Another is forgetting to bring a notebook to lectures. Never high school, always college. Bizarro that so many of us have such similar dreams. Wonder if they are more common among us LBYM types who hate to be unprepared for the future.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Yes... 25 years ago and still dream. Usually involving situations setting up large meetings and coordinating all aspects. Solving one problem, and immediately faced with another. All different problems... speakers, heat, dinner not ready, breakdown meetings out of sync, lighting, heat and whatever else could go wrong. Also, display set ups in McCormicK Place.
None of that was from the later years, but early on, probably made a big impression.

Plus, one going back to my youth maybe age 8, being lost on the streets around Fenway Park, in Boston. Still dream about that.

And one more... Due to make a presentation to the President at 8:30AM... By train from the suburbs to Chicago Office. On the express... looked down... one brown loafer, and one black dress shoe. Aarghh! That happened.
Imoldernu, how did the shoe meeting go. Too funny now but then it might be harder to appreciate.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My real question is did you every have post retirement nightmares about your prior w*rk life?

Last night I dreamed that I was told if I wanted to keep my health coverage
I would have to wo$k 5 more years!!!

I remb. how slow that last month went.....
Old 02-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haha not sure if I would call it a nightmare, but I had several dreams where I was at work, kinda just stopping by. The last one, which was the worst, a higher level manager started giving me a lot of work. So I told him, "hey, i'm retired". But this is really just an excuse to him. So I just left! Problem solved! Woke up happy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have about 5 months left at w**k, so when they try to give more things to do, I might try your line: "Hey, I'm (almost) retired!" :-)

-BB